Fernando Ricksen has passed away.

Brave how he faced upto his condition, respect for the man, regardless of whether he was a good bear and player

God bless and thoughts with his loved ones

A sad, sad day as a rangers fan, I remember his legends match and shedding tears as he took kick off and wasn’t able to stand up, tomorrow will be an emotional night in Ibrox and I just hope the team does you proud captain, rest easy Fernando our warrior

RIP, Fernando, you fought this horrible disease with such amazing and brave dignity and I for one will be forever grateful that you chose my club to come and play for. My thoughts and prayers are with your family tonight, God Bless.

This makes me sad, hopefully in the coming days and weeks it will come to pride seeing the eulogies and old vids of a heroic warrior treble winner. At the moment I'm just sad and feel empty for that poor wee girl and his wife. Makes your heart bleed it really does

He was given 18 months to live.

He made it 6 years!

He’s not a captive, he’s a conquerer

He wouldn’t want us feeling sorry for him, he’d want us celebrating him.

That’s how I’ll remember him. The larger than life, crazy eyed warrior

Horrible to watch him suffer but kept fighting it like a hero. Heart goes out to wife and daughter, absolutely horrendous for him to pasd away so young.

With the angels now Fernando. Thank you for everything you did as a Rangers player and a man. And what a man you were.

God bless your family and our thoughts are with them.

R.I.P

I hope bears tomorrow night understand that feynoord fans will probably sing YNWA they have for years and tomorrow it will be for FR... HE WAS A DUTCH international and they loved him also...

RIP Fernando.You'll never be forgotten by this Bear and hundreds of thousands like me across the globe.Rest easy.
Thoughts and prayers are with his partner and his little girl.

Some great memories of a great player. Part of a golden era for a lot of people. Proud he was one of us all the way.
He will never be forgotten.

Death affects me in a funny way, I don't deal particularly well with it. There are several tribute videos I cant watch as yet as the music starts and it affects me, despite having only ever met him twice while autograph hunting for the wife's young cousin. I must say, Fernando and his Dutch counterparts are some of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, genuinely nice and good folk.

There is one standout Fernando has that I can only recall three others managing in my lifetime and that is literally dragging us through a season.

Brian laudrup done it (7 in a row I think)
Gazza done it (8 in a row)
Barry Ferguson done it (50 titles season)
And Fernando done it, helicopter Sunday season. Pretty much dragged some results out of us. Not many are pretty much
responsible for dragging us to a title win, especially a never to be forgotten, never to be repeated one. And that's his legacy. The captain who delivered that day.

Rest easy Fernando

Rest easy Fernando. We’ll never for get you and the contribution you made to our club, that became your club.

You lived the dream and achieved legend status.

You will be missed!
WATP

You are at peace now Fernando, you fought it til the end typifying your "no surrender"
fighting spirit, sleep well and thanks for the memories.

Captain, leader, fighter and a true Ranger til the end.

Sad day for the world wide football community, especially Scotland & Netherlands.

The Captain of my youth along with Amo and Barry. Never be forgotten. Sleep well Fernando Ricksen.

Condolences to his family. RIP sir.

RIP Fernando.
You were a very brave man.
A fantastic footballer and Rangers captain. You will never be forgotten.
Thoughts to your friends and family.
Very sad day.

Very Sad Day - thought about him as I drove home today.

Can't get that image of Fernando and his daughter that was posted last week out of my head.

So, so Sad...gutted.

Fought against illness with unequivocal courage. In a way I'm almost relieved to know he's no longer suffering. Gave his all for the club and provided many terrific memories.

RIP Fernando.

September 18th. A date forever etched in my memory from my mum passing a few years back, has been engrained deeper going forward.

Rest easy Fernando, our blue hero!

This board is made up of people with lots of varying opinions but the one thing we all have in common is our love for our team, days like today reinforce what a 'football family' means to us.

We have lost a much loved family member in the cruelest of circumstances and although our grief and loss cannot be measured against the loss that Fernando's family are going though I live in hope that in the future they will feel and realise the impact Fernando has had on the Rangers family.

I get to spend every Wednesday with my 2 year old son, much of today with a lump in my throat, one of my sisters is on holiday the other spent today in tears at work, our family sending tributes back and forth throughout.

Fernando you fought so bravely and I'm proud that you wore our famous Jersey I'm sure we will pay you a fitting tribute tomorrow evening and in the days to come.

Your family will remain in our thoughts.

WATP

Always knew this day would come. I just feel so low, so sad leaving such a young family behind.

Fernando played a big part in our history and it’s so sad and scary to realise this man has left us.

God bless Fernando Ricksen.

Last edited:
Back