Fernando Ricksen in a bad way, sadly

Dalbear

'Former Rangers star Fernando Ricksen has accepted that he is dying from motor neurone disease.

The Rangers hero, 41, has also revealed that his health is deteriorating rapidly.

Ricksen told the Scottish Sun said: “I know what the outcome will be of this terminal disease, but I’m not going to waste any time or energy worrying about future.

“I’m realistic and know that, at the moment, there is no cure for MND.

“But the outlook hasn’t changed and is still terminal and there are no new treatments at the moment.

“I’m not going down without a fight and will never give up.

“I certainly don’t expect to die soon and I’m still making plans for the future."

Fernando says he has lost the ability to perform many basic functions. The terminal disease has also badly affected his speech.

The Dutch star currently lives in Spain with his wife Veronika, 31, and their 4-year-old daughter Isabella.

It's undersood Ricksen will be back at Rangers on November 18 as a guest of honour during the club’s game against Hamilton Accies.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/...___s_dying_after_health_deteriorates_rapidly/

Such a crazy illness and to think they have not found any cure for it. For an athlete, not just because he played for us, deteriorating like that is horrific and i cant imagine how painful it is for him to live with it each day and be strong about it. An absolute shame.

Heartbreaking to see. He’s putting up some fight, as we’d expect! Keep fighting Fernando

Absolutely tragic he's the same age as me sometimes I take my health for granted. Then you read about people like Fernando. It's quite sobering, keep fighting Fernando my thoughts are with you as are all the rangers family's thoughts with you.

Absolutely horrific.

Ricksen is around the same age as me and I have a little girl around the same age as his as well. I can only imagine what they are going through.

Horrible horrible disease. Never give up Fernando, you just never know what cure is waiting round the corner for any disease these days.

Heartbreaking read. A fine physical specimen to this.

One day the will find a cure for this horrible disease, but sadly not in time for far too many.

It is bad news.
But we know this is a tragic situation for Fernando.
He will be given a great reception when he comes to Ibrox.
His courage in the face of something that few of us can imagine has been awesome.
He is indeed a brave guy.

Absolutely tragic. He will get a great reception from the bears though which I'm sure he appreciates and takes some comfort from.

Horrible disease, it's heartbreaking seeing the pics of him with his young family.

No surrender Fernando

My Granny died of MND 18 years ago and its the most awful,cruel, demoralizing disease. She died 6 months after being diagnosed. I know it's an old cliche but I'm glad she never suffered too long with it.He's a fighter and no mistake. Sad news.

So sad. I just wish there was something that could be done about this horrible disease. Thoughts are with him and his family.

Really sickening that a guy so full of life just a few years back is in this state at just 41. Terribly sad.

Someone very close to me had this horrible disease. Completely puts things in perspective to everything else going on with the club etc.

Best wishes to big Fernando and his full family

The way he's handled this horrific illness tackling it bravely head on with class and dignity has been remarkable.

An inspiration and a true warrior.

I think he has taken some comfort from the support the rangers family have provided.

Keep fighting sir

I knew a bloke who has this absolute khunt of an illness. It was awful to see,going from a guy who could paint a house in a day without any effort to even losing the ability to swallow in such a short space of time. I genuinely wouldn't wish it on anyone.
My works nominated charity for the next 2 years is MND Scotland and we do many events etc to raise money for them.
Fernando you are in my thoughts mate

I had read a report in the Scotsman online with the update on Fernando's condition. The thing that struck me is how positive he is in the face of it all. Such an enormous set back and terrifying adversity to face ... but he's right there looking it straight in the eye saying this:

I’m still convinced I’ll be the first person to beat MND

No surrender Fernando! Praying for you.

A horrific disease....my heart goes out to him and many other souls who have any form of incurable terminal illness.Just a nightmare for them personally and their loved ones.Your health is the most important asset .

Such a shame for all his family. Especially his daughter.

My youngest is the same age. I can’t imagine how he would deal with something similar

Horrible

Back