Fernando Ricksen in a bad way, sadly

Lost one of my best mates a few years ago to MND he was 32 also my brother in law recently lost his father to it.
2 great guys struck down out of the blue both fit as anything.
Hate the disease with an absolute passion!
Heart goes out to Fernando and his family.

Hard to find the words after reading that, just keep fighting son you are in all our thoughts and prayers!

Watched my father die from it. It is shit
Lesson I took from it was no matter how bad your day is going it's not so bad if you have your health
Take whatever joy you can from it and get off your ass and use your legs while you can
Plenty wish they could enjoy the simple pleasure of getting up and going for a walk

So sad to see a player I enjoyed watching. It's a bastard of a disease. Keep fighting Fernando. No surrender.

I don't really know what to say. Horrible news.

Just can't stop thinking about his daughter. Must be awful.

Horrible disease. My thoughts are with any family or individual affected by this.

Totally I knew a guy who had it former Navy man big strong and dead within a year of diagnosis. It is a terrible disease. God bless you Fernando no human being deserves that.

Regardless of whether Fernando is with us for a matter of weeks or (hopefully) years to come, there's no doubt that he's showing the same fighting spirit in trying to cope with this horrible disease as he did on the park all those years ago.

Nothing but love and respect for the man and thoughts with him and his family. Stay strong Fernando.

So so brave our Fernando,keep up the fight bro,I’ll say a prayer for you tonight my friend,WATP!!

What more can you say really. It’s heartbreaking to see a pro athlete at his age cut down like this. Especially having a young family.

Feel desperately sorry for him and his family and can only offer my best wishes.

Such courage. So much positivity. Absolute class and dignity in the face of adversity. If anyone's gonna beat this horrific, absolute bastard of a disease in this day and age it's him.

A true hero and an inspiration to us all. Fernando and his family have my utmost admiration and respect.

God bless you, Fernando, and no surrender!

I was in tears down in Fleetwood, & I’m in tears again reading that.
Heartbreaking. God bless Fernando.

Heartbreaking to watch any human being suffer from such a horrible cruel illness.

We love you Fernando and we are all 100% behind you in your fight to beat this disease.

Keep fighting.

WATP

Sad news but not unexpected unfortunately.

One thing is for sure that Fernando is a fighter and will battle on. Wish him all the best.

Lost my dad to MND almost 3 years ago, ravaged his body and killed him within a year and a half of him taking early retirement from the mental health sector,
What that did to him so quickly was one of the cruelest things I've ever had to witness.
Worked all his days helping and caring for those in need only to be wiped out and unable to enjoy his retirement by this sickening disease.
My heart goes out to Fernando and his family and anyone else having to go through this.

Sad Sad Illness.
Keep soldiering on Fernando and cherish your time with your family.
We will give you a great Welcome as Always on the 18th.
Take Care.

I think I would take a dive off a high bridge if I got this while I could.

Terrible illness, hope Fernando get something out of the time he has left.

Thoughts as always with Fernando and his loved ones, always one of us and we know he will never surrender to this horrible horrible disease.

My sister in law died from MS which is very similar to MND, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I say to myself every day," life is for living, so live it".

Horrible disease, keep the fight going - we all support you and your family.

Rag of a newspaper trying to get an exclusive out of you and your family's hardship!

Heartbreaking to read that. What a warrior he is putting up such a fight against a horrible illness. Never forget the goal at the piggery where he silenced the scum.

Keep fighting Fernando.

Just sat and watched some of the videos about Fernando on you tube, ended up crying like a baby. So very very sad.
I hope in time his little daughter understands what a remarkable dad she had. Keep fighting Fernando and god bless you .

Back