Fernando Ricksen, one year ago today he died.

God rest him.
The courage and spirit he showed in the face of a horrible disease was of the bravest of men.

R.I.P. Fernando.
Just read The Final Battle. A tough read, but inspiring the way he battled on & refused to give up. MND's a bastard, & it disnae seem 5 minutes since wee Dick hauled him off on his debut v them. Little did we know what a Hero that man would become.
Sadly missed, always remembered.

I always feel a bit sad when I see a picture of him in his prime and think how the world was quite literally at his feet and he had no idea what was ahead of him.
You wouldn't have believed it would end like this back in 02/03 .

I distinctly remember watching Fernando's tribute match, and feeling like Rangers again for the first time in years.
The kick off, and the gasped silence, followed by a roar for our hero. At the end, carried aloft by De Boer and Mols et al, brothers and winners from happier days. It was heart breaking but hope affirming at the same time.
Despite all the hell and nonsense surrounding the club at the time, Fernando and his situation put it in perspective but also his spirit to fight on gave us ours back, in my opinion.
I can't articulate, without waffling, how significant it was to me, but imo it was the first time Rangers were RANGERS in a long time.

Gone but never forgotten when we do 55 I hope he noises they bastards up wi fireworks in Heaven and in his style he probably will.

There will always be a special place in my heart for Fernando met him more than any other Rangers’s player in good times and bad,when the illness had taken hold.He was a gentlemen and had a great sense of humour even when he was seriously ill I’m happy to say I was there at Easter road at his and my finest hour following the Gers.

Rest easy Fernando. Your Rangers family will always remember and miss you. You will always be in our hearts. When Tav picks up 55 I will be thinking of you.

Back