Feuds in Football

What was this all about?

Thompson never got over Paisley taking the captaincy off him and giving it to Souness.

Later on when he was Liverpool manager, Souness sacked him as reserve manager when word got back to him how he was treating the young players.

Brian Clough and Don Revie.
That’s a cracker savus. Revie was a helluva manager, but from all accounts he bothered too much about the opposition - dossiers about them he gave to his players etc - rather than concentrating on how good that Leeds team was.

Imagine Shankly on charge of them in the early to mid 70s, unstoppable!

Thompson never got over Paisley taking the captaincy off him and giving it to Souness.

Later on when he was Liverpool manager, Souness sacked him as reserve manager when word got back to him how he was treating the young players.
I've met TMB a few times. He said Thompson was jealous because Souness' first wife came from money and he regularly made snider remarks about it. On one occasion GS told him he'd stiffen him if he mentioned it again. He never did.

Must be the biggest sure Icardi ended up shagging his wife’s niece also

Had never heard of this. A quick Google. Bloody hell.

'The Argentine striker then went on to marry her, appoint her as his agent and also got the names of López's three kids tattooed on his arm.'

Cheers SDF

That’s a cracker savus. Revie was a helluva manager, but from all accounts he bothered too much about the opposition - dossiers about them he gave to his players etc - rather than concentrating on how good that Leeds team was.

Imagine Shankly on charge of them in the early to mid 70s, unstoppable!
Revie had the reputation of winning at all costs.
Apparently the Sunderland manager in the 73 FA Cup Final wouldn’t even acknowledge him because of a “ suggestion “ made to him in by Revie during their playing days.

Bombed them all out at the right time, with the exception of Stam which I think he’s since admitted
He actually got it right really.
Around that time iirc a fair few Dutch players were getting bans for using stuff they shouldn't be taking.Didnt Stam cop a ban later?
I always felt that could have been behind the sale as it was a puzzling one

I cannot remember too much about Brazil that year.
We lost to Costa Rica and beat Sweden.
I guess the third team was Brazil then?

Yes. Costa Rica beat us and Sweden to go through second, hence why I was questioning why a draw would've got us through. Occured to me that England, Holland and Ireland all qualified for the next round from the same group. They must've had best 3rd place team that year.

Incidentally, Brazil went out to Argentina in the next round. Claudio Cannigia got the only goal.

He actually got it right really.
Around that time iirc a fair few Dutch players were getting bans for using stuff they shouldn't be taking.Didnt Stam cop a ban later?
I always felt that could have been behind the sale as it was a puzzling one

It was to do with what Stam revealed in a book I think. Whilst still playing there obviously.

Reactions: jtc
He had been shite all through that season for utd as well as making a total arse of norways goal at hampden.

Was at fault for 2 goals in the cup final.

Fergie was 100% correct to drop him and this was proved by sealey keeping a clean sheet and utd winning the replay.
Old bandy always came across as a bit of s cnut with chip on his shoulder.

Sure there was a massive feud with the Dutch team at Euro 96 with a split between the white and black players?

A child and a cheat but untouchable as far as the Scottish press were concerned. The Sounness goal against the Sheep shortly before Ferguson headed to Old Trafford. Well over the line and he dragged it back claiming it had not crossed and then chasing the officials at the second goal claiming offside when it wasn't - double standards in the extreme. There was also an incident at Easter Road when he went mental at Gascoigne over a penalty as I remember when there was nothing to dispute.
Couldn’t stand him. I remember that incident and it was typical of that Aberdeen team. Willie miller was even worse. I get the everyone is against us stick together thing but that team boiled my piss.

I cannot remember too much about Brazil that year.
We lost to Costa Rica and beat Sweden.
I guess the third team was Brazil then?

Aye, lost 1-0 to Costa Rica in the opener then beat Sweden 2-1.

We just needed a draw against Brazil and were looking good for it until Bandy did his thing.

It was to do with what Stam revealed in a book I think. Whilst still playing there obviously.
Yeah sure it was about Ferguson tapping him up for Man U.
He got a bit of heat after it was mentioned in the book and picked up by the press and Stam got sold not long after.

I’ve heard Kevin De Bruyne & Thibaut Courtois don’t speak to each other on the count of the lanky keeper shagging KDB’s bird

Bit of an interesting spat currently between the two goalkeepers at FC Copenhagen which I was reading about tonight after the Argentina and Australia game

I've mentioned this one or two times on here.

Can't remember if it was Brockville or perhaps East End Park back in '70 or '71 Willie Johnston and Colin Stein had a fisticuffs with each other during the match and had to be separated by team-mates and opposition players.
My memory ain't too great now but I've always known it definitely happened.

Alex Ferguson is the common denominator in a lot of feuds, which would normally mean he was the problem.

Off the top of my head I can think of Leighton, Sharpe, Stam, Keane, Beckham, Wenger, Keegan.

Came out the winner every single time.
You could add Paul McGrath who hates Fergie.

Pique and Ramos fell out didn’t they recently? I’m sure it was over the whole Catalan independence issue.

The battle of the two Alex’s and they were a joy to watch, McDonald and Edwards both gave as good as they got

Aye, lost 1-0 to Costa Rica in the opener then beat Sweden 2-1.

We just needed a draw against Brazil and were looking good for it until Bandy did his thing.

I think Scotland were still going through until a late goal in another group took away the best 3rd place berth. I'm thinking Belgium or Uruguay?

Was reading a thread about Roy Keane there and it got me thinking about how him and Alex Ferguson are no longer on speaking terms. Also read recently that Jim Leighton has never forgiven Ferguson for dropping him at Man Utd.

What other football feuds do you know of? There must be some cracking stories about some less well known feuds.
Me and my boys ex coach.

You could add Paul McGrath who hates Fergie.

Tried to convince McGrath to retire so Man Utd could collect the insurance money.

McGrath refused and signed for Villa instead.

4 years later he was voted PFA Player of the Year. A year after that he man marked Baggio out of the game in the World Cup.

Back in 1960's/70's,Jack Charlton and opposing player's names he kept in his infamous wee black book who he was going to get/do.
Fairly sure one was Peter Osgood of Chelsea.

Last edited:
Hughes and Smith at Liverpool. Couldn't stand each other, apparently were not on speaking terms off the pitch.

Were half-decent on it, mind

Jim Leighton never lost a legit goal against us ever (in his Vaseline clouded mind).

Seriously, watch any goal we scored on him and there's always some sort of issue. If he was allowed to chase an official he'd have been the world record holder for the 100m.
My memory of Leighton was anytime he conceded a goal he would be going mental and often booting the goalposts - surprised he never injured himself.

Back