Feyenoord pay respects to Fernando Ricksen

Status
Not open for further replies.
There fans also saying as a tribute they are singing never walk alone and are asking for it not to be booed.

@jf1960 that is a tweet from some random Feyenoord fan and carries no weight at all in my eyes. Last time it got posted the thread was chopped.

There fans also saying as a tribute they are singing never walk alone and are asking for it not to be booed.

A fan. It’s just 1 guy. Feyenoord fans sing YNWA frequently. It’s not a one-off.

The video in the OP is a nice official tribute from the club though.

There's no chance many of our fans won't boo You'll Never Walk Alone.
But that doesn't alter the fact that was a classy and appreciated gesture by Feyenoord.

WoW
Fans complain about lack of class by BbcScoltland but a classy act who are upfront about what they do when respecting the dead some are still unhappy

Why would YNWA be in respect of Ricksen?

Singing a Celtic song for the death of a Rangers player doesn’t sound respectful.

I posted on the last thread on this before it got chopped but some of the comments regarding YNWA are what's wrong with a minority of our fans.
Thank God I loved Fernando more than i hate a song!

At the risk of getting the thread chopped again it’s not about the song per se, it’s about this whole perception. We have a single, random Feyenoord fan saying they will sing this in tribute to Fernando. That’s it. 1 guy. What weight does he carry? It’s also a song they sing frequently rather than a one-off tribute song.

It would be like me Tweeting that Rangers fans will sing Follow Follow in tribute to someone.

Be different if this was coming from their official supporters club or something.

Last edited:
Because they have come out and told you so. The song doesn’t belong to Celtic and never will as the colour green doesn’t belong to them.

Doesn’t make sense to make. It isn’t about Celtic owning the song, but if you’re going to pick a song to antagonise Rangers fans then selecting a song sang by their rivals will do it.

Plenty other songs can be selected to pay respects. You’ve got to ask why they’ve chosen that particular one.

Maybe we should all just join in.

Doesn’t make sense to make. It isn’t about Celtic owning the song, but if you’re going to pick a song to antagonise Rangers fans then selecting a song sang by their rivals will do it.

Plenty other songs can be selected to pay respects. You’ve got to ask why they’ve chosen that particular one.

Maybe we should all just join in.
Boo it then.

If this is the way they respect the passing at Dutch football matches are you suggesting they pick another song just in case it offends folk who are wanting offended

Jain has told us that the Dutch are being encouraged to sing the song out of respect for a fellow countryman, you can boo if you want but I won’t be

I won’t be booing anything mate. I just fear, as tragic and perhaps harsh as it sounds, that we are being suckered here.

This bloke has absolutely no status in their supporters club or fans group as far as I can tell. Do his fellow Feyenoord fans understand that when they sing this song it’s a tribute to Fernando or do they think they are simply singing it as they normally do? Is there a momentum amongst Feyenoord fans to sing it as a tribute? Currently all I’ve seen is a single tweet from just 1 guy.

Last edited:
At the risk of getting the thread chopped again it’s not about the song per se, it’s about this whole perception. We have a single, random Feyenoord fan saying they will sing this in tribute to Fernando. That’s it. 1 guy. What weight does he carry? It’s also a song they sing frequently rather than a one-off tribute song.

It would be like me Tweeting that Rangers fans will sing Follow Follow in tribute to someone.

Be different if this was coming from their official supporters club or something.
Yep ..with you on that.However no matter what they do or sing I think it should be taken in the context its given.If we started booing whatever they sing what does that say about us.Tomorrow night is going to be raw and emotional so please dont make things any worse.

Yep ..with you on that.However no matter what they do or sing I think it should be taken in the context its given.If we started booing whatever they sing what does that say about us.Tomorrow night is going to be raw and emotional so please dont make things any worse.

I won’t be making anything worse mate. I won’t be there.

Nice touch by Feyenoord

However look at those bastard photographers standing all over the tributes on the ground so they can get pictures taken

Absolute vermin and zero respect by these mhedia c.unts

No wonder nearly 90% of the poll on the mhedia want them banned from Ibrox on the other thread

I won’t be booing anything mate. I just fear, as tragic and perhaps harsh as it sounds, that we are being suckered here.

This bloke has absolutely no status in their supporters club or fans group as far as I can tell. Do his fellow Feyenoord fans understand that when they sing this song it’s a tribute to Fernando or do they think they are simply singing it as they normally do? Is their a momentum amongst Feyenoord fans to sing it as a tribute? Currently all I’ve seen is a single tweet from just 1 guy.
Many tributes that have happened at Ibrox and the letting off balloons at Hampden started with a single person.

Boo it then.

If this is the way they respect the passing at Dutch football matches are you suggesting they pick another song just in case it offends folk who are wanting offended

That’s the way the Dutch all pay their respects? By singing a Gerry and the Pacemakers song from 60 years ago? I’m not having that.

I would prefer if the whole stadium just sang “One Fernando Ricksen”. That seems a lot more respectful.

Also struggling to accept Ricksen himself would want YNWA sung for him, particularly at Ibrox.

Maybe I’m being overly suspicious.

Many tributes that have happened at Ibrox and the letting off balloons at Hampden started with a single person.

Indeed they have. However, YNWA is a song they sing at their matches anyway. Are they doing something different this time to signify it’s a tribute to Fernando? A large banner or something? Or is the guy who tweeted this going to be the only Feyenoord fan in the place that knows it’s a tribute?

Lovely gesture from Feyenoord.

The amount of invasive, scumbag journalists there makes me fucking sick though.

Let people pay their respects in private instead of pointing cameras in their face.

Horrible bastards

Indeed they have. However, YNWA is a song they sing at their matches anyway. Are they doing something different this time to signify it’s a tribute to Fernando? A large banner or something? Or is the guy who tweeted this going to be the only Feyenoord fan in the place that knows it’s a tribute?
It is what it is mate, too boo it wouldn’t be the thing to do in this case as I’m sure it would be turned into pages of drivel in the papers.

YNWA is fitting for a lot of clubs at moments like this. Guaranteed that it will be sung for our current manager many years down the line and I don't think many people would be fighting against Liverpool fans singing it at Ibrox as a mark of respect.

If that is what they want to sing, whether only one person has said it or not. Let them, and it can be a song for Fernando tomorrow.

It is what it is mate, too boo it wouldn’t be the thing to do in this case as I’m sure it would be turned into pages of drivel in the papers.

Now on that we can agree. Whether or not there is any truth in them singing this in tribute (and I am sceptical) there is no doubt that if it is booed then it will be portrayed as a negative in the Scottish media.

Given the number of folk that have posted or re-tweeted this message - from just 1 random guy remember - I can see I’m fairly isolated in my scepticism. I will say no more other than I hope I am wrong and there is, indeed, a genuine tribute from the Feyenoord fans by way of a banner or picture when they sing the song in order to make its purpose clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back