Feyenoord. What do we know about them?

George Goudie

Official Ticketer
Shape, style, stand-out players that we need to be wary of etc. League performance so far, where they would rank alongside our previous recent European opponents. Ideal man by man marking opinions of those that have watched both teams recently.

Also, & I know it doesn't mean that much on a one-off game, but I'd be interested to hear approximate values. All information appreciated Bears.

Nosy Bastard Loyal!

Shape, style, stand-out players that we need to be wary of etc. League performance so far, where they would rank alongside our previous recent European opponents. Ideal man by man marking opinions of those that have watched both teams recently.

Also, & I know it doesn't mean that much on a one-off game, but I'd be interested to hear approximate values. All information appreciated Bears.

Nosy Bastard Loyal!
let me deal with that thanks, Me team is ready. Stevie G.

Interesting Links and trivia.

• Rangers' Filip Helander and Feyenoord's Sam Larsson are Sweden internationals.

• Morelos was the top scorer in this season's UEFA Europa League qualifying phase with eight goals.

• Rangers are one of only two clubs to have reached this group stage after beginning their UEFA Europa League journey in the first qualifying round, Malmö being the other.

• Rangers manager Steven Gerrard and his Feyenoord counterpart Jaap Stam were rivals in the English Premier League from 1998 to 2001 with Liverpool and Manchester United respectively.

The coaches
• A Liverpool legend with 186 goals in 710 appearances for the Anfield club, most of them as captain, Gerrard launched his managerial career at Glasgow giants Rangers in May 2018. An England international for 14 years, accumulating 114 caps and 21 goals, the dynamic midfielder won the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League with Liverpool as well as both domestic cups. After an 18-month end-of-career spell with LA Galaxy he returned to coach Liverpool's youth team before the job at Ibrox lured him to Scotland, where he led the Gers to second place in the 2018/19 Premiership.

• Stam replaced his former Netherlands national team-mate Giovanni van Bronckhorst as Feyenoord's head coach in the summer of 2019 after spending the second half of the previous season in charge of PEC Zwolle following a spell in England with Reading. A towering centre-back, he made his name at PSV Eindhoven before going on to star for Alex Ferguson's Manchester United side, winning the treble of Premier League, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League in his debut season. He later played in Italy for Lazio and Milan before concluding his career at Ajax.

Not in great form. Will play the high press to try and dominate. Always trying 1-2 combinations. Berghuis will return from light injury and stop Tav attacking. They played the weekend with 3 wingers as they had no real striker. Jörgesson a real striker played 20 minutes on Sunday and I would think he will start. pressure Leroy Ver and you kill their strength. Toonstra a normal start will be on the bench as not fully fit. If they lose a goal their heads will drop.

I actually had a look at them over the weekend:

~ Managed by Jaap Stam. Gio VB left this summer.

~ Currently lying 7th in league. Poor start by they're standards. 3 score draws and 2 wins. Scored 8 & conceded 6.

~ Finished 3rd last season & got semi of their Dutch cup.

~ Beat Beer Sheva 6-0 over both legs for group qualifying.

~ Main players to look for are strikers Berghaus & Larrson, midfielders Fer & Kokcu

~ Their stadium holds 50k and is nicknamed De Kuip which means The Tub.

From what I can tell they are a physical side and will try to play possession football and build attacks. I think this might be beneficial to us as they will be open to counter attacks.

They've had 4 penalties given in last 3 games...

An article they've written in Dutch roughly translates to SFA Are wankers....

Feyenoord starts the group stage of the Europa League next Thursday with an away game against Rangers FC.

The Scottish superpower knows no too happy run towards the duel with the Rotterdammers. For the international match, arch rival Celtic lost 0-2, while Ryan Jack was injured by manager Steven Gerrard in the national team of Scotland.
Jack, who played eleven games for Rangers so far this season, sustained a knee injury during training. Because the joint was swollen, the 27-year-old midfielder had to miss the international matches against Russia (1-2 defeat) and Belgium (0-4 defeat). The fact that Jack got injured during his international obligations is causing the necessary irritation at Gerrard. It is still highly uncertain whether the midfielder will be able to play next Saturday when Rangers play against Livingston in-house.

"Unfortunately, two days after the Old Firm, he was asked to complete a tough training session, causing his knee to swell. It is a shame that he has now had to miss the last five or six training sessions. I think they are careless and You can never, never ever plan such a tough workout after a player has played ninety minutes two days earlier. At least I learned that, "the BBC notes from Gerrard's mouth.

Goalkeeper Vermeer is dodgy.
Karsdorp who they sold for big money to Roma is back on loan and us a top class Right Back.
Jorgensen is the main striker, tall strong and an all round good striker, has been out with injury.
Bergius is there main creative player and Tavernier will need to be at his best to keep him quiet.
Middle of the park is where I think it will be won, Toornstra not being match fit is a boost as he’s a goal scoring threat.
This is the kind of game we need Jack pressing and pushing us up the park a bit as if we allow them into us they have the ability to play through our defence.
I think Morelos is our key man and will give their centre backs a torrid time.

The Filip Helander attributes that mean Rangers defender will make 'big impression'
Helander's Swedish pal Sam Larsson is gearing up to face Rangers with Feyenoord and is a huge fan of the big defender

A super Swede called Larsson is aiming to haunt Rangers again this week.
And Feyenoord ace Sam has warned Steven Gerrard the Dutch giants are coming to Ibrox to win.

Jaap Stam’s side travel to Glasgow for their Europa League opener on Thursday night.
Winger Larsson is known as “Samba Sam” after he was likened to a Brazilian by his old Gothenburg gaffer Mikael Stahre.
He is no relation to Celtic legend Henrik who played for Feyenoord before his move to Scotland. But the Swedish international is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his famous namesake who regularly netted at Ibrox.

And he’s adamant Stam’s men will be going full out for three points in Glasgow in a tough group that also includes Porto and Swiss side Young Boys.

Larsson said: “There’s no way we are going to Ibrox looking to settle for a point.

“It’s a really open group and every team will think they have a chance. All four teams are similar in quality.
“And that’s what makes Thursday so important. No team wants to be chasing it after the first game.
“Everyone knows about Rangers and their history but we have a good European record too.

“It was only a couple of years ago when we got into the Champions League group stage where the quality was extremely high.
“If we are honest – and maybe Rangers too – the Europa League is more of our level.
“I’ve never played in Scotland before so that will be a first. Ibrox is similar to De Kuip because there are great atmospheres in both grounds when they are full.
“It’s certainly what we want because that will lift us. Steven Gerrard was a great player. Now he’s a manager I expect him to be just as successful.”
The 26-year-old is a friend of Rangers new boy Filip Helander and can’t wait to see him again.

The Swedish stopper has found it hard to break into Gerrard’s side but Larsson said: “He has that Swedish mentality and I have no doubt he will be a great signing. He’s strong, quick and is a great defender.

“I know it won’t be long until he makes a big impression in Scotland.
“Filip has been my friend for years now. We have played for Sweden and also for the Under-21s so I know him very well.
“I’ve deliberately not spoken to him about this game – I’ll wait until we get to Glasgow to do that.”
Feyenoord warmed up for Ibrox with a 3-2 win over Den Haag but almost let a three-goal slip away.
And Larsson said: “We can’t afford a repeat of that in Scotland or we will get punished by Rangers.”
Luciano Narsingh netted in the weekend win and the former Swansea winger can’t wait to run out at Ibrox on Thursday.

The 29-year-old Dutch international said: “I know all about British football. The fans are incredible and I miss that.
“I’m looking forward to playing at a stadium like Ibrox and we will go to Glasgow with confidence.”

Watched them twice this season.

Look vulnerable at the back, especially when dealing with crossed balls into their box and defending set pieces.

Morelos will cause their back line immense trouble with his power and movement.

Look good down the right side; Karsdorp is a good players as are Berghuis, Narsingh and Tapia. Lad that played on Sunday looked good, not sure if he's a regular starter, Sinsiterra? They looked pretty quick in possession and broke fast.

No where near the Feyenoord of old but still a very solid outfit with dangerous players all over the park.

They have Rick Karsdorp on loan from Roma at right back.

Decent side who don't score many or concede many...a better Legia basically. Their two league wins have been in last two games so form is improving. Their main striker is not match fit, and although he might play should be roughed up early doors.

Not in great form. Will play the high press to try and dominate. Always trying 1-2 combinations. Berghuis will return from light injury and stop Tav attacking. They played the weekend with 3 wingers as they had no real striker. Jörgesson a real striker played 20 minutes on Sunday and I would think he will start. pressure Leroy Ver and you kill their strength. Toonstra a normal start will be on the bench as not fully fit. If they lose a goal their heads will drop.
I always thought Leroy Fer looked a good player at Norwich. Career seemed to plateau after that. Didn’t realise he was at Feyenoord.

I think with our injuries and bang average form I'd have them as favourites but you never know...some great nights under the floodlights.

It's a harder group than last year (we should have got through last year, no doubts at all) and I have us as 3rd favourites in group. But at home we can upset the odds...not sure we will take much from Porto or Rotterdam. Games v YBB might be crucial.

Goalkeeper Vermeer is dodgy.
Karsdorp who they sold for big money to Roma is back on loan and us a top class Right Back.
Jorgensen is the main striker, tall strong and an all round good striker, has been out with injury.
Bergius is there main creative player and Tavernier will need to be at his best to keep him quiet.
Middle of the park is where I think it will be won, Toornstra not being match fit is a boost as he’s a goal scoring threat.
This is the kind of game we need Jack pressing and pushing us up the park a bit as if we allow them into us they have the ability to play through our defence.
I think Morelos is our key man and will give their centre backs a torrid time.
Agree with everything there mate.

Big stage for Morelos to do the biz like he did against the Poles.

Barker could be key also, let's remember we got him from the English PL Champions!

The Filip Helander attributes that mean Rangers defender will make 'big impression'
Helander's Swedish pal Sam Larsson is gearing up to face Rangers with Feyenoord and is a huge fan of the big defender

A super Swede called Larsson is aiming to haunt Rangers again this week.
And Feyenoord ace Sam has warned Steven Gerrard the Dutch giants are coming to Ibrox to win.

Jaap Stam’s side travel to Glasgow for their Europa League opener on Thursday night.
Winger Larsson is known as “Samba Sam” after he was likened to a Brazilian by his old Gothenburg gaffer Mikael Stahre.
He is no relation to Celtic legend Henrik who played for Feyenoord before his move to Scotland. But the Swedish international is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his famous namesake who regularly netted at Ibrox.

And he’s adamant Stam’s men will be going full out for three points in Glasgow in a tough group that also includes Porto and Swiss side Young Boys.

Larsson said: “There’s no way we are going to Ibrox looking to settle for a point.

“It’s a really open group and every team will think they have a chance. All four teams are similar in quality.
“And that’s what makes Thursday so important. No team wants to be chasing it after the first game.
“Everyone knows about Rangers and their history but we have a good European record too.

“It was only a couple of years ago when we got into the Champions League group stage where the quality was extremely high.
“If we are honest – and maybe Rangers too – the Europa League is more of our level.
“I’ve never played in Scotland before so that will be a first. Ibrox is similar to De Kuip because there are great atmospheres in both grounds when they are full.
“It’s certainly what we want because that will lift us. Steven Gerrard was a great player. Now he’s a manager I expect him to be just as successful.”
The 26-year-old is a friend of Rangers new boy Filip Helander and can’t wait to see him again.

The Swedish stopper has found it hard to break into Gerrard’s side but Larsson said: “He has that Swedish mentality and I have no doubt he will be a great signing. He’s strong, quick and is a great defender.

“I know it won’t be long until he makes a big impression in Scotland.
“Filip has been my friend for years now. We have played for Sweden and also for the Under-21s so I know him very well.
“I’ve deliberately not spoken to him about this game – I’ll wait until we get to Glasgow to do that.”
Feyenoord warmed up for Ibrox with a 3-2 win over Den Haag but almost let a three-goal slip away.
And Larsson said: “We can’t afford a repeat of that in Scotland or we will get punished by Rangers.”
Luciano Narsingh netted in the weekend win and the former Swansea winger can’t wait to run out at Ibrox on Thursday.

The 29-year-old Dutch international said: “I know all about British football. The fans are incredible and I miss that.
“I’m looking forward to playing at a stadium like Ibrox and we will go to Glasgow with confidence.”
Waw! Narsingh saying he misses the British supporters. The Feyenoord supporters will love that one.

Maybe people from here putting money on us in a hopeful stylee?
Or maybe the bookies just see as favourites given we're at home and their form us is worse than ours? We're not some wee novice team at this level, although I get everything and everyone is completely rubbish since we lost a match.

By the sounds of things there is absolutely nothing to fear from this mob. If we cut out the unforced errors and go at it at a decent tempo, we've enough to beat them comfortably.

They're Dutch
They have good taste in banners
And they fucked the mentally challengeds in the cup final

What's not to like...?

Can you get me tickets for home end in the away leg!?
I did it last time mate and left the stadium at a firm sprint the moment the ball left Riksen's toe with the chance of making it 3-3 meaning we would go through. I have never ran down stairs so fast in my life.

Will be watching it from the safety of my sofa this time although feeling like a pint amongst bears would be nice and a rare treat tbh.

I did it last time mate and left the stadium at a firm sprint the moment the ball left Riksen's toe with the chance of making it 3-3 meaning we would go through. I have never ran down stairs so fast in my life.

Will be watching it from the safety of my sofa this time although feeling like a pint amongst bears would be nice and a rare treat tbh.
We were in the main stand last time.
Seen the madness at other end of stadium, but our end was relatively easy going, and although we weren't singing or anything, we were not quiet!

They are fucking rapid up top/out wide.

Sinisterra and Sam Larsson started for them on Sunday and both are like shit off a shovel.

I’m sure Sam Larsson is brother of that Daniel Larsson who was the main man for Malmo when they embarrassed us in Europe, also rapid.

We were in the main stand last time.
Seen the madness at other end of stadium, but our end was relatively easy going, and although we weren't singing or anything, we were not quiet!
There was 6 of us. We didn't even take our seats, we stood 3 either side of the stair well.

In the toilet at half time i was spoken to by a giant of a man and spoke back in my limited Dutch as much as i could but at one pint the penny dropped and he grabbed me and shook me crying 'we have a Ranger!' :s

Once we got back out for the second half we got pelters. We took and gave verbals but at the point i mentioned in my last post we all ran. We never looked at one another, no nods or signals, we all just ran.

Didn't even know if he had scored. Sprinting and laughing as we went. Was mental! haha...

I had to show my ticket to a guy i know who follows Feyenoord as he didn't believe we had tickets for that section and got out alive!

Some night but now with two kids, decent job and just being settled not one i need to repeat.

I bought my ticket off other bears who were just going to stay and enjoy the 'culture' in Amsterdam for the night. I am tempted to go through to the dam as i fancy a night in good company. Wonder if any bears are staking a claim to a pub in the dam next week? Might be worth the train journey through.

Agree with everything there mate.

Big stage for Morelos to do the biz like he did against the Poles.

Barker could be key also, let's remember we got him from the English PL Champions!

I think Barker will be on the bench with Arfield and Ojo playing off Morelos.
He may be a good option to bring on late in the game to use his pace.

Back