FIFA to allow "indefinite" extension of season

TN8

Includes extension of player contracts which run out before 30th June.

Being reported by the Athletic.

Kinda getting bored with this and just thinking now wait and see. Seems the sports reporters need something to write about so it's this every time with a different slant. Basically until anything is confirmed it's just more speculation.

However if something like this were to happen it wouldn't be the worst. Countries are all going to do a bit of thinking outside the box.

Could it be the case we do finish the league whenever we start back and make next season a shorter league due to time constraints. Possibly 14 teams with 26 matches. I know the TV companies have contracts and all the rest of it but there has to be movement from everyone on this.

Play the leagues to an end ,the only fair way. Here we could finish the league . Given time is tight we could play each team home and away which would give 22 games . At that point split into top and bottom 6 play each team home and away which would give another 10 games giving a total of 32 games which frees up space to get it done. I appreciate each team would lose 3 home games on the New season but it's better than playing the games behind closed doors.

So, indefinite to June 30th?

Reading the OP again, that does sound like simply allowing the extension of a players contract from, say, 31 May to 30 June. An example would be Andy Halliday but we have others. Its a sticking plaster on an open wound and nothing more if that's the case.

The whole idea is a farce imo, players that were injured like Harry Kane can be brought back in and have a major influence, players out of contract who would've left the club will be able to play, teams that were out of form could now hit form and have a major influence on titles, promotion and relegation..null and void only way for me, focus on starting new season when safe to do so.

Curious as to how they can extend a contract? The contract is between employer and employee.

Been saying the same for weeks.

No 3rd party cannot rule on any term of employment under UK law. The contract can only be extend with the expressed agreement of BOTH parties, the employer and employee.

However FIFA's idea to extend this current season for as long as possible and have a curtailed season for 2020-21 seems sensible. With most leagues having already completed 75% of fixtures it would only take upwards of 6 weeks to finish what remains of the season and would allow tv and sponsorship contracts to be fulfilled. Importantly, it also does away with the null & void scenario that many want avoid.

How season 2020-21 looks is anyones guess??

C&P:

FIFA is to confirm an indefinite extension to the 2019-20 season across the globe, allowing each country’s football authority to determine when campaigns can finish.

The game’s world governing body will also alter the dates of the summer transfer window and permit contract extensions for players whose deals run out on June 30.

The plans, which are likely to be revealed in the next 48 hours, will afford maximum flexibility with FIFA appreciating the spread of coronavirus is different in each country. This comes after UEFA last week committed to finishing the current season and was moved to deny a report that its own president, Aleksander Ceferin, had set a deadline of August 3 to complete all outstanding games.

While the decision from the highest authority in football does not take null and void off the table, it considerably reduces the chances of seasons being cancelled altogether. The planned announcement was greeted by one Premier League club as “really sensible”, with it removing the pressure to conclude the season at a time when the world is dealing with a pandemic.

The Athletic understands timeframes were not discussed at great length in Friday’s meeting between Premier League clubs. There are significant fears that the 20 sides may yet need to repay £762 million to broadcasters should the season not be completed, with The Athletic revealing last week that the determination to finish the campaign even led to one idea of taking games to China.

Insiders at a number of clubs say a reality seems to have finally dawned over the past week that, while ideas can be formulated for different scenarios around scheduling, until the outbreak passes over the top of the curve nobody will really be able to plan with confidence.

While some Premier League clubs accept that there might be no option other than to resume seasons behind closed doors or even at neutral grounds in other “safe” countries, other clubs believe football should only return when fans are able to enter stadiums.

It is on this battleground that the next debate in England is likely to be had, especially as some Football League clubs are concerned about extending contracts if there is no clear date for a return to football, knowing that they will have to carry out paying money with no signs of standard streams of income in that period.

Reactions: TN8
The situation with football contracts is a complex one, as The Athletic’s Matt Slater explained. One manager of an EFL club told The Athletic over the weekend that he has 13 players out of contract in June and 10 of those contracts are unlikely to be renewed.

Some of his concerns related to the focus of his team and therefore the integrity of the league, considering he would have to ask a number of players to perform for him when they know they might not have jobs in the near future.

He was also worried about the length of the next transfer window, questioning whether it would be long enough for him to sign enough players to be able to register a squad for the 2020-21 season.

The Premier League summer transfer window is due to end on September 1 at 5pm and the EFL announced in February an “agreement in principle” to return to a traditional deadline day at the end of August.

The Athletic also revealed how the Premier League’s hopes of striking a deal to secure 30 per cent wage deductions or deferrals from players were in peril on Saturday night as footballers became increasingly concerned that agreements may benefit club ownerships more than non-playing staff or the emergency services. Discussions are expected to resume this week.

Been saying the same for weeks.

No 3rd party cannot rule on any term of employment under UK law. The contract can only be extend with the expressed agreement of BOTH parties, the employer and employee.

However FIFA's idea to extend this current season for as long as possible and have a curtailed season for 2020-21 seems sensible. With most leagues having already completed 75% of fixtures it would only take upwards of 6 weeks to finish what remains of the season and would allow tv and sponsorship contracts to be fulfilled. Importantly, it also does away with the null & void scenario that many want avoid.

How season 2020-21 looks is anyones guess??

Some rumours suggest we wont be playing competitively again before October/November time. If so, we wouldn't be finishing this season until probably Christmas this year. That leaves 5 months to fit in the whole of NEXT season and then straight into the Euros, immediately followed by season 21-22. Impossible I'd say. If the rumours are true.

Put simply, you cannot extend a players contract unless he wants to extend it. The only way this would work would be in conjunction with revised dates for the transfer window.
I don’t think any players would turn down a short term contract extension in this climate. Where else are they going to go?

I don’t think any players would turn down a short term contract extension in this climate. Where else are they going to go?

As I said, it would only work in conjunction with revised dates for the transfer window. Otherwise the player could have signed a new contract wherever he liked as soon as the window opened on 1 July. Someone has now posted the full article and that is exactly what the proposal includes, a revised transfer window.

My considered opinion is I haven't a clue his to resolve all this, complete 2 seasons of football and protect everyone from coronavirus.

And nobody else knows either.

If this season is to be completed, then there is no way that we can have an entire fixture list next term, given the lengthy delay before any resumption.

FIFA is to confirm an indefinite extension to the 2019-20 season across the globe, allowing each country’s football authority to determine when campaigns can finish.

so no real change then. if a FA wants to declare a season void or award a team the title tomorrow they can if they want

also if they think this will blow over in the next couple of weeks then they are sadly mistaken this pandemic and its effects will continue till way after the season would have finished

Some rumours suggest we wont be playing competitively again before October/November time. If so, we wouldn't be finishing this season until probably Christmas this year. That leaves 5 months to fit in the whole of NEXT season and then straight into the Euros, immediately followed by season 21-22. Impossible I'd say. If the rumours are true.

I think this scenario doesn't completely take stock of the situation we're in.

Everything is going to be reset after this: when the schools go back, when universities start, the dates of other sporting competitions, elections, important cultural dates. Everything will be up in the air.

I admit that this looks like a really tight schedule, but don't be surprised to see wholesale changes, potentially lasting for years, when it starts to start dates for tournaments.

The SPFL will be concluded and when it is possible to get the other league title started will happen it take a few seasons to get August-May back I need order but this is what will happen

also if they think this will blow over in the next couple of weeks then they are sadly mistaken this pandemic and its effects will continue till way after the season would have finished

I see the grand Orange lodge of Ireland have today cancelled all 12th July marches. Football is going to be gone for quite some time. As another poster said, we will be lucky if we're back up running by the Autumn.

That is true for most of the average players in lower leagues, but I think the premier players will have a completely different opinion. I can't see them risking a lucrative 4 year deal to play a congested fixture list (possibly even behind closed doors) for an extra few months and potentially injure themselves.

A good opportunity to switch to summer football in this country?

So say we get back to seeing out this season in November, call the close season December and January and start the new season in February.

I don’t know the feasibility of this and await the flak coming my way. Also I’m aware that the weather in February this year was utter shite compared to January, it’s just a suggestion.

The players who are out of contract have no restrictions on their course of action.
They may choose to move to any club that is offering them a long term contract.
Or even another club that is offering a better short term contract than their present employer.
Football really needs to get over itself. Their preferred choices will not supercede the law of the land.

To me it seems like uefa and fifa are hell bent on finishing the season, if they don’t they must be going to lose millions, why else would they actually care? All they’ve been about for years is lining their own pockets, they don’t care about the fans or the clubs that go bust.

UEFA surely don’t have the right to interfere in employment law?

Guys like Wes, who I don’t want to lose, have honoured their contracts and should be entitled to further their careers elsewhere

The players who are out of contract have no restrictions on their course of action.
They may choose to move to any club that is offering them a long term contract.
Or even another club that is offering a better short term contract than their present employer.
Football really needs to get over itself. Their preferred choices will not supercede the law of the land.
This is actually a very good point because if a player is out of contract then he can sign for any club, regardless of the transfer window.

What if a player has signed on bosman terms? He maybe agrees a £10k per week deal with a team from the 1st of July. Does that mean his contact agreement doesn't exist and he's still employed with his current club?

It's easy for FIFA to say they're extending players contracts but how will that stand up in court?

Wouldn't have thought they have the power to start extending players contracts.

Null and void everything cancel next season or something.

No one has a clue when a vaccine will be available or when getting back to normal will be possible.

People are dying and UEFA are being dicks.

What if a player has signed on bosman terms? He maybe agrees a £10k per week deal with a team from the 1st of July. Does that mean his contact agreement doesn't exist and he's still employed with his current club?
No, he would be out of contract, clubs can still pull the plug on a pre contract deal I believe, but he wouldn’t still be employed by his current club as that would end on June 30th.

The days of null and void being considered an option disappeared as soon as the vast sums of many the top 5 leagues in Europe would lose if season not completed became known.

And if this carries on till October or longer then what?

Maybe it’s time for football clubs to tell FIFA / UEFA to fućk off.

Draw a line in the sand and wrestle the game away from shíte like Infantino

The clubs in top leagues in Europe have to much to lose to draw a line in the sand, it is these clubs that want the season to be completed, no matter how long down the line. Filthy lucre rules ok.

Back