FIFA World Cup Day 1 - El Gassico - Russia vs Saudi Arabia

BL11

Ever since my first WC, Italia 90, I've always been a bit of a WC junkie so can't wait for the tournament to start though admittedly, the clash of fossil fuel giants, Russia vs Saudi Arabia, dubbed El Gassico by some, hardly has whetted the appetite in a tournament missing European heavyweights such as Italy and The Netherlands and teams from the Americas such as USA and Chile.

Nevertheless, today's game should see a Russian win at the Luzhniki Stadium and hopefully see some Russian models into the bargain.

Here's to a good footballing spectacle today and for the next month.

On paper it should be low scoring but my bet is both teams to score. I don't bet on correct scores but would go for 2-1 Russia.

Opening ceremony will be interesting. ..

Would have been better with Germany vs. Mexico as the opener. Always used to be the holders rather than the hosts that opened the tournament.

I doubt I'll even watch the game tonight. They are both pish.

3am here in NZ for Russia v Saudi Arabia? No thanks :D

The other games generally are 12am and 6am so will make more of an effort for them but for now I look forward to the highlights tomorrow morning!

3am here in NZ for Russia v Saudi Arabia? No thanks :D

The other games generally are 12am and 6am so will make more of an effort for them but for now I look forward to the highlights tomorrow morning!
2030 will likely be Europe (hopefully UK) but I think Australia and NZ should jointly apply for 2034. If Canada and Mexico can host the same tournament then why not?

Would have been better with Germany vs. Mexico as the opener. Always used to be the holders rather than the hosts that opened the tournament.

I doubt I'll even watch the game tonight. They are both pish.
I can't watch it as it's on at fucking 4 o clock... What a shit time.

Fully expecting a dire game but looking forward to watching it nonetheless. Have a feeling despite having a piss poor side Russia will drag themselves through to the knockout stage.

11 games before the end of the weekend. Bring it on :D

2030 will likely be Europe (hopefully UK) but I think Australia and NZ should jointly apply for 2034. If Canada and Mexico can host the same tournament then why not?
Aus are part of the Asian confederation and are therefore barred from applying.

Uruguay and Argentina have launched formal bids and I suspect that England will also bid.

Will miss the game so the world cup officially starts tomorrow for me, day of and three games including Portugal v Spain :D

The good thing for me is I'm off work till the 20th, so I'll have at least 3 games to watch each day till then which is decent to keep me going till I get my Rangers fix back.

Russia have had 1 shot on target their last 3 games. Even at this I'm going to say 1-0 to Russia and probably their only points of the tournament.

Australia yes and I would easily go over for a few weeks for a world cup. NZ only has 1 Stadium that has 40k+ seating so them hosting a joint world cup will never happen.

Plus the day before the world cup on the news here they spend 15mins talking about a friendly against France in rugby and only a couple of mins on the world Cup. Nz doesn't deserve any place the finals :D

Aus are part of the Asian confederation and are therefore barred from applying.

Uruguay and Argentina have launched formal bids and I suspect that England will also bid.
England should get to host another world cup,long overdue.

Fancy the Saudi's to spring a wee upset. A lot of the Russian media and public have said this is the worst team in a generation.

I can’t wait for this game. I love the World Cup. Portugal v Spain tomorrow night with a few beers will be smashing.

Russia have some decent players in amongst all the negativity and fear and they have to come good at some time. In saying that tho they stunk the place out at the Euro's and were far and away the biggest failures there. They haven't really played to anywhere near their potential since Euro 2008 - maybe now is the time for them to awaken from their slumber.

Russians aren't really expecting much from the WC and they would be delighted in escaping their group. The WC kinda needs the hosts to have a wee bit of success which in turn adds more of a glow and appetite for the locals. The worst WC in my lifetime was S. Africa and that was compounded by a shite host team and fans who weren't bothered outwit blowing there vuvuzelas.

If Saudi do manage to beat the Russians today I wouldn't fancy being a Saudi / of similar appearance in and around the fan-fests or streets in centre of Moscow afterwards. Can't see there being mass trouble a la losing to Japan in 2002 but they don't take humiliation well do the Slavs - especially to perceived weaker nations.

Hoping for things to pick up match and entertainment wise tomorrow and I'll maybe drop into the fan-fest for a game. Though the thought of standing with 20,000 folk quieting for beers / piss etc at same time kinda dims the appeal of it

Russia have some decent players in amongst all the negativity and fear and they have to come good at some time. In saying that tho they stunk the place out at the Euro's and were far and away the biggest failures there. They haven't really played to anywhere near their potential since Euro 2008 - maybe now is the time for them to awaken from their slumber.

Russians aren't really expecting much from the WC and they would be delighted in escaping their group. The WC kinda needs the hosts to have a wee bit of success which in turn adds more of a glow and appetite for the locals. The worst WC in my lifetime was S. Africa and that was compounded by a shite host team and fans who weren't bothered outwit blowing there vuvuzelas.

If Saudi do manage to beat the Russians today I wouldn't fancy being a Saudi / of similar appearance in and around the fan-fests or streets in centre of Moscow afterwards. Can't see there being mass trouble a la losing to Japan in 2002 but they don't take humiliation well do the Slavs - especially to perceived weaker nations.

Hoping for things to pick up match and entertainment wise tomorrow and I'll maybe drop into the fan-fest for a game. Though the thought of standing with 20,000 folk quieting for beers / piss etc at same time kinda dims the appeal of it
Fan-fest? Where? Do you live in Russia?

Think a lot of these shite team v shite team games might produce some decent spectacles.

Then again it could be a bore draw as well. Looking forward to the tournament regardless!

Back