Fifty Years Ago This Week - Scott and Fyfe the heroes

As a young lad at the time, I always felt a bit sorry for Ally Scott. He scored a few goals for us in his first season, including a fine double in (I think) his debut in the League cup against Falkirk. In those days, as usual, Rangers had a strong, physical team that could look after itself and Scott just didn't look the part. He was always far too awkward and gangly, a style that the support couldn't take to.

I think Ally Scott got booed onto the park at Firhill one early season game, and scored the winner late in the game.
I remember this too. I think it was about 89 mins. We were outside the ground when we heard the roar. Like you say, one of the first games of the season and he was already getting plenty of stick from the support.

I remember this too. I think it was about 89 mins. We were outside the ground when we heard the roar. Like you say, one of the first games of the season and he was already getting plenty of stick from the support.
Hmmmm.not so sure about all of that.
The game where he scored the 1-0 win in last minute he was on from the start . Early Sept 1973.

Agree Ally Scott was nobodys favourite although JockWallace seemd to lile him.
Played in a few big wins v Celtic. Scored in Dryburgh cup final and some credit a ogal to him in a LCup game.
Think he played in 75 and 76 New Year wins over them.

Graham Fyfe was often the best player on the pitch for Rangers.

Hmmmm.not so sure about all of that.
The game where he scored the 1-0 win in last minute he was on from the start . Early Sept 1973.

Agree Ally Scott was nobodys favourite although JockWallace seemd to lile him.
Played in a few big wins v Celtic. Scored in Dryburgh cup final and some credit a ogal to him in a LCup game.
Think he played in 75 and 76 New Year wins over them.

Graham Fyfe was often the best player on the pitch for Rangers.
Having looked it up, I now see that the last minute goal was indeed Sept the 8th (away v Partick) and was the second league game of the season after the league cup section games. However, it was 50 years ago, so you can maybe forgive me for being a few weeks out. The old memory isn't always what it was.

Having looked it up, I now see that the last minute goal was indeed Sept the 8th (away v Partick) and was the second league game of the season after the league cup section games. However, it was 50 years ago, so you can maybe forgive me for being a few weeks out. The old memory isn't always what it was.
Ah, no worries. I remember details from the 60' and 70's much more than i retain stuff from 2000 onwards.
Big Ally quickly divided the support that's for sure.
I personally do not remember any Rangers sub being booed on to the pitch - certainly not during 70's and 80's.
There may have been tbe odd rammy due to the choice of sub , but not the player coming on.

Maybe my memory is blighted, but then i was idealistic then, and expected us to win every match and tournament!

Back