Filip Helander signs 4 year deal now Confirmed

I honestly can’t believe folk rate Katic over Goldson at this point in time, its bloody weird, but hey ho, this is the thread for craziness.

I assume its a case of familiarity breeding contempt, and because Goldson was almost ever present he’s getting blamed by default for mistakes of others. Goldson looked fatigued at points, definitely, and hopefully better options will mean we don’t have to run him into the ground again, but he’s currently our best centre back by a stretch.

Goldson was shaky from December onward and a bit of calamity in the last quarter of the season in all honesty. I think a lot prefer him because he’s got a big price tag and that thing of having come from an EPL side.

Goldson was shaky from December onward and a bit of calamity in the last quarter of the season in all honesty. I think a lot prefer him because he’s got a big price tag and that thing of having come from an EPL side.
Nonsense.
Heading towards blatant lies.

1st Norway goal not really his fault
2nd Norway goal he actually done well in the 1-1 was unlucky
3rd completely his fault lost his man at the corner and he needs to be better than that of we are spending big money on him
This is what I was getting at in another thread, €4M isn’t big money. We as a fan base want ready made stars and want the club to be out buying marquee signings, yet we also call €4M big money.

Quite simply, at this price range that’s what you’re getting. It’s always going to be a gamble.

I think he has geared himself up for a definite move this window. If nothing happens then he is going to be very 'frustrated' to say the least.
You think one thing then suggest he’ll be at least this if he doesn’t get his own way?
I do love the psychology expertise on here.

Maybe calamity is too strong. But he was certainly less than steady, and the idea he was our best defender ‘by a distance’ is well, bollocks in all honesty. He made a very impressive start, but December onwards there was quite a pronounced regression.

I think this is a fairer reflection mate.

Its mental as he's a tremendous player.

I remember a game last season v AC Milan, bologna were 3 at the back (so he's clearly not that slow), then went down to 10 men and Helander still dominated everything and kept Milan at bay.

He's going to dominate our back line i promise that.
Don’t be coming in here with actual evidence. We only allow thoughts based on nothing. People who have never even seen him on Football Manager never mind watched a game he played obviously know better.

I would say it’s more than that on average. I think my seat is a relatively cheap seat (£495 for Govan/Copland corner). Most seats in Govan, club deck & main stand (biggest areas by number) are dearer so that will drive average season ticket price up considerably.
I’ve got a decent seat in Club Deck and mine only scraped the £450. But hey I guess unless you see actual figures it’s all guesswork

I think this is a fairer reflection mate.

I’m quite happy we’ll have 3 very good centre halfs, and I don’t think there’s a great deal between Goldson and Katic. That’s me basing it on watching them play for Rangers though, not transfer fee or providence.

I’d imagine Helander will go straight into the starting line up because he’s clearly good valuable experience and a good pedigree. So i think its an exciting signing, I’m just slightly surprised at how much we’re spending on that area, but at this point we might as well trust Gerrard and Allen.

If there was a release clause of 8-12 million then he would have been away the day after the transfer window opened, 30 goal a season strikers no matter what league they play in do not grow on trees. The fact we are possibly quoting teams 15-20 million with clauses and add on's is what in my opinion is maybe giving potential suitors pause for thought.
Pretty sure his agent said there wasn,t a realise cause.

It's ugly to watch.

Aye, he has his faults, but he carried the entire team for much of the season.

I genuinely can't understand what's happened with the overall opinion of people on here regarding Morelos. Is it because he doesn't smile? Is it because people are listening to the mentally challengeds and/or media too much?

A potentially world-class player and people want rid of him for reasons I can't understand.
He pissed a lot of people off by allowing himself to be suckered at Parkhead last season.
Myself included.
However, some are going too far with this now.
To the point of creating behavioural situations to berate him.

Maybe calamity is too strong. But he was certainly less than steady, and the idea he was our best defender ‘by a distance’ is well, bollocks in all honesty. He made a very impressive start, but December onwards there was quite a pronounced regression.

Didnt realise someone had said he was our best defender by a distance mate.

I think he is/was our best defender last season to be fair but he was by no means perfect and did have some poor games and shaky moments - for a guy who had played not a lot of football the previous couple of years(30ish games in 4 years) to then play over 50 games in a season was nothing short of remarkable especially taking into account his medical history and think being rested for a few games would have did him the world of good.

This thread reeks now ..some guys hate Alfredo more than Tim’s do on here .sad times .
I love Alfredo as a player but I am in nettles every time he goes into a tackle. If he is not totally committed to stay at Ranger's then I would sell him. Valid concerns do not equate to hatred.

Calamity is very harsh.

For me the amount of games caught up with his body especially after his heart issues.

The big 3 will still play 30 games each this season.

We just need to find the right balance of who to play against what opposition/pitch etc.

Goldson is a bombscare.

You been drinking that Koala in your avatars pish? Time to delete this thread. Currently sat in Tesco doing a shite (in the toilet, not aisle 4) and I am scared to come out incase I bump into one of these internet trolls that are patrolling this thread.

Goldson is not a bombscare. Infact, I cant even think of him making a mistake that cost us last season?

What Filip Helander will bring to Rangers as Rino Gattuso provides inside track on 'bargain' transfer
Steven Gerrard is poised to make the Swedish centre-back his eighth signing of the summer as he closes in on a move from Bologna.

By
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
What's a million euros here or there to a guy like Rino Gattuso?
We are talking here, after all, about a man who only a few months ago waived his right to a massive pay-off from AC Milan when he was sacked as manager and instructed the club to share it out amongst his coaching staff instead.

That’s the thing about winning World Cups and Champions Leagues. The rewards which come with these glories don’t half help to provide a different sense of perspective.
But there’s still a bit of the Glaswegian left inside Gattuso – a legacy of his early playing days at Rangers – which mean he also has an eye for a bargain.
And even though he was unsure yesterday as to exactly how much his old club will end up shelling out in order to sign Filip Helander from Bologna – there were reports in Italy yesterday claiming the final bill may rise to around £6m – Gattuso is certain of one thing. That Steven Gerrard has landed himself a bargain.

“I like this player,“ Gattuso growled in his trademark gruff tone as he broke off from a family holiday in Spain to speak to Record Sport about Gerrard’s intended raid on Serie A.

“He has a good Scandinavian mentality and he’s not a bad defender. I heard today from Italy that the price is around 5m euros – and that’s a good price for him.

“Yes, it’s big money for Rangers but he’s a good player at that price when you consider the market at this moment. It’s incredible that some players are costing 50 or 55m euros. For 5m euros Rangers have done good business.”

For what it’s worth, sources at Ibrox remain adamant that Helander’s final fee will be a great deal closer to their original bid of £3.5m.
But, in Gattuso’s book at least, a discussion about the precise numbers involved in Gerrard’s eighth purchase of the summer sales is an exercise in splitting hairs.
The one-time midfield warrior has always focused more on the value a player brings with him onto a pitch.

(Image: Action Plus)
And in Helander he likes what he sees. The same can’t automatically be said of Bologna manager Sinisa Mihajlovic?
You can almost see Gattuso shrugging his shoulders as he blows out a sigh of heavy contempt on the other end of the line.
Mihajlovic kicked Helander to the kerb midway through last season after answering an S.O.S from Bologna who had slipped into serious relegation contention under Gattuso’s former AC Milan team-mate Filippo Inzaghi.

Enter ex-Inter talisman Mihajlovic at the end of January. That the Serb managed to lead Bologna to the comfort of a 10th-placed finish in Serie A does not appear to have particularly impressed Gattuso.

Nor for that matter the decision to leave Helander sitting on the sidelines for so long.
Gattuso said: “People say he had a difficult last season in Serie A but for the first two or three months he actually played very well.
“He only had some problems in the last few months under the new manager. So five million euros or whatever is a god price for him.

(Image: SNS Group)
“He’ll be good for the team and the Scottish league. I’m not saying he’ll find it easy in Scotland because it’s not an easy league to play in.
“But he has the right mentality to be successful there. He is very focused, very determined. He is also the kind of player who likes to fight.”
Which is probably why Gattuso likes him. Kindred spirits and all that.
But this feisty side to the Swede’s personality is also what helped him get through a difficult four months at the end of last season, playing just four times under the new man
in charge.
Helander said of his struggle: “It’s true that I haven’t had a lot of games, but in fairness to the coach, the team was doing really well and he didn’t want to change a winning team. But I admit it’s not been much fun for me.
“So the way I have handled it was to train extra and harder. We are a squad and I decided I wanted to help the group by trying to get myself back into the team. The best way to do that was to impress in training. I maintain I have a good relationship with Mihajlovic.

“He’s a good coach. His decision not to play me is to do with football reasons.
“Despite the last few months, I believe I have had a good season. Okay, it wasn’t productive for me at the end of the season because I wasn’t paying, but the team produced some excellent results and I’m a
team player.
“And I think I have become a much better player since I moved to Bologna three years ago.”
All of which demonstrates precisely the sort of battling qualities which are so attractive to a warhorse such as Gattuso.
In fact, as far as the little Italian concerned, it’s impossible to put a price on a positive mental
attitude like that.
He said: “The one thing you can say without any doubt is that Helander will be up for the fight in Scottish football.
“When you play at a club like Rangers you have to always be up for the fight and Helander is at.”

Calamity is very harsh.

For me the amount of games caught up with his body especially after his heart issues.

We just need to find the right balance of who to play against what opposition/pitch etc.
Spot on. First time he had played a full season!!

Goldson is hardly Baresi but if you think he's a "bombscare" then you clearly have no clue about football.
I don't think i've ever been concerned when Goldson has the ball at his feet.

I think some people just want to bash our players for the sake of having something to say.

What Filip Helander will bring to Rangers as Rino Gattuso provides inside track on 'bargain' transfer
Steven Gerrard is poised to make the Swedish centre-back his eighth signing of the summer as he closes in on a move from Bologna.

By
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
What's a million euros here or there to a guy like Rino Gattuso?
We are talking here, after all, about a man who only a few months ago waived his right to a massive pay-off from AC Milan when he was sacked as manager and instructed the club to share it out amongst his coaching staff instead.

That’s the thing about winning World Cups and Champions Leagues. The rewards which come with these glories don’t half help to provide a different sense of perspective.
But there’s still a bit of the Glaswegian left inside Gattuso – a legacy of his early playing days at Rangers – which mean he also has an eye for a bargain.
And even though he was unsure yesterday as to exactly how much his old club will end up shelling out in order to sign Filip Helander from Bologna – there were reports in Italy yesterday claiming the final bill may rise to around £6m – Gattuso is certain of one thing. That Steven Gerrard has landed himself a bargain

Whoever wrote this article is an absolute abomination to the profession. Attempted to read it but it’s like trying to make out the mad ramblings of a child who’s used his crayon for the first time.

Seriously who has managed to butcher what should be a pretty simple story? Embarrassing.

Whoever wrote this article is an absolute abomination to the profession. Attempted to read it but it’s like trying to make out the mad ramblings of a child who’s used his crayon for the first time.

Seriously who has managed to butcher what should be a pretty simple story? Embarrassing.
It was Jackson of course.

It was Jackson of course.
Old corned beef face. That makes perfect sense now.

The Morelos article he produced remains one of the worst things I’ve ever read in my life. I wonder if he ever apologised to the player for that?

The level of xenophobia and Jackson’s own parochial pig headedness came through loud and clear. With regards to this article, his lack of basic writing skills and IQ is alarming.

Calamity is very harsh.

Exactly. How many games did Goldson play? He missed a couple before Xmas, had injections to make sure he played against Celtic and then played every game in the run in. He led us to 6, iirc, clean sheets in a row. Yes he was fatigued by the end, but he was still better than folk here are suggesting. He's also an old school centre back, he'll never stand out, but he had a huge impact on our improved defensive record last year, especially as he played with a choice of two younger guys beside him when he's not the most experienced himself.

There is always room for improvement, of course there is, but he had an excellent season IMO and will only have grown from it. Looking at him in pre-season and he looks leaner and fitter than last year, he will only get better this year.

Those singling him out as a calamity or a bombscare need to step away from football for a bit.

Last edited:
I’m quite happy we’ll have 3 very good centre halfs, and I don’t think there’s a great deal between Goldson and Katic. That’s me basing it on watching them play for Rangers though, not transfer fee or providence.

I’d imagine Helander will go straight into the starting line up because he’s clearly good valuable experience and a good pedigree. So i think its an exciting signing, I’m just slightly surprised at how much we’re spending on that area, but at this point we might as well trust Gerrard and Allen.

Agree.

We’ve improved that area immensely. I’m even hopeful About young Edmondson too.

Back