Filip Helander signs 4 year deal now Confirmed

Goldson will play more often than not - he is a total asset to us, like Tavernier offers an attacking threat on top of his ability to defend.

Goldson gets us out and moving up the park well

A lot of reports suggest he lacks pace. Someone please tell me he's quicker than the likes of Alves etc?

Its all subjective though - slow in comparison to whom? Ryan Kent would look slow against Usain Bolt. Against everybody else he's lightning fast. Is the comparison to other 6foot 4inch defenders or to speedy wingers?

A lot of reports suggest he lacks pace. Someone please tell me he's quicker than the likes of Alves etc?

That comparison was made by an Italian Expert the Evening Times spoke with who said he struggled to match the pace of the fastest CF's in Serie A which he said are very quick, but his positioning is so good for reading the danger it made up for it, he also said he made some outstanding last ditch tackles and when given a Man marking job he would take his man out of the match.

That comparison was made by an Italian Expert the Evening Times spoke with who said he struggled to match the pace of the fastest CF's in Serie A which he said are very quick, but his positioning is so good for reading the danger it made up for it, he also said he made some outstanding last ditch tackles and when given a Man marking job he would take his man out of the match.
But can he deal with Curtis Main and Connor Salmon ? :p

Any word on helander signing today? Not seen any photos of him in Glasgow yet.

If I was a betting man, I would say he would fly in to Manchester, as we tend to use a Medical Centre attached to Manchester City for Medical since MA became DOF, I think it was his suggestion, before then being driven north. I know Katic, Barisic etc. were done this way. So he could be here already out of the media's eye. The first we may see is photos from the Ibrox,

Cheers BB

I saw the video recoba posted with helander. He does look like a really good centre back.
Any chance of posting that again? I haven't been very successful finding any content on him which is strange as he has plenty of games under his belt in one of the best league's on the planet and is an Internationalist.

He was up against Mertens, Dybala, El Shaaraway, Insigne, Icardi, Zapata, Belotti, Ronaldo, Milik & Piatek.

Am sure he will struggle against the likes of Main, May, Cosgrove, Kamberi, Edouard, Brophy, Naimsith, & Thumb. None of them have blistering pace.

Stevie May would tear it up in serie a.

Any chance of posting that again? I haven't been very successful finding any content on him which is strange as he has plenty of games under his belt in one of the best league's on the planet and is an Internationalist.
I don't know how to post videos or pictures on here. If u scroll up. You should see the video

I’d never heard of the lad, I’m sure h&h said something about Liverpool looking at him as low cost (for them) cover so maybe someone there has put Stevie G on to him. I hope we sent John Brown to have a look at him.

Last edited:

I can't think of any CBs in Scotland who wouldn't struggle to keep pace with Serie A's fastest strikers to be fair.

Having only seen Helander in the video posted on this thread, the most obvious thing to notice is his positional sense is very good and has great timing for last minute tackles, also pings a good ball to forwards from deep.
Reminds me of Davie Weir in that sense.
Hoping this deal is concluded and announced today.

Can we try steer this back to positivity again?

Those that have watched him reckon it’s a very good deal, good comments by Rino today

Huge outlay and arguably most exciting signing since early00’s in that terms

Left sided, ticks all our boxes, adds massive depth to the team

I get the worry over the price but that’s why we have Mark Allen, I trust them to do what’s right

I’m fully on board for this and being positive, who’s with me?
Count me in n

I think it's all relative though, right? A CB who is strong in the air, fast with good positional sense probably goes for over 20 million.
I think we can safely say that is guy will dominate in the air, and be able to handle the hammer throwers in Scotland.
Same as you, I've read that he is good at one on ones and tackling which will be beneficial as well I mind Alves (who was well past his prime, granted) was strong in the air but generally struggled with pacey players running at him.
He's a Swedish international, a regular with a Serie A side (prior to his injury and losing his place) so I think it's a good signing. Also something I've not seen mentioned on here a lot is that he's actually won things (including two league titles with Malmo). I think the importance of that experience can't be underestimated, especially when signing for a club like Rangers.

The tackle 'stat' is interesting.

I'm sure it shows Van Dijk never makes a tackle either. And he's still one of the best defenders in the world
David Weir was slower than a week in the cells but probably our best centre half since Richard Gough. As long as he reads the game well that won't be a problem.

Nope. Our starting point with Weir was 30 yards from our goal as we could not leave space in behind. Today's high pressing team starts much further up the pitch. Pace required at CB.

Back