Filip Helander

Good recovery pace shown at one time aswell don't think he's as slow as many think
^^This for me.^^
His recovery tackle when turned, was down to his pace, he went up a gear and matched the striker, then got just ahead of him to knock the ball away. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised.

I think we're fortunate to have 2 CB that are more comfortable playing on the left, but have completely different attributes.
Both will be more suited to dif

Thought Helander was good again tonight. He reads the game really well. I think he should play on Sunday as no need to risk Balogun on that dreadful pitch on Sunday.

The big man is a great option this must be the first time in years we have serious depth to the team.

Just midfield we need another quality addition.

He was fantastic when he came on. His pace is still a genuine worry but most of the time his positional sense covers that.

The big man doesn’t do “rust” does he! Well impressed with how sharp and focussed he’s been given he’s barely kicked a ball this year. With Balogun starting quite well too, the gaffer has some interesting options going forward. But some quality tackles from Helander in that second half, he might not be the quickest but his positional sense is fantastic.

The big man was excellent when he came on.

Including big Niko, we have 5 very good central defenders, plus young Lewis Mayo is a terrific prospect too.

Probably the strongest area of our team.

I think 'best' when talking about our centre halves is a redundant point.

Each of them is good, each have their own strengths over the others.

If you want someone to header their way through a parked bus, Katic is your man.
If you want someone to marshal your defence, Goldson is the one for that.
If you want someone cool as ice to read the game and make it look simple, Helander is clearly for that job.
If you want the ghost of Bougie past, well, Balogun does it.
Edmundson is someone who needs more time for me, but he will 100% get there.
Goldson is the fulcrum of the back line, in that he plays well with all of them. We have not seen too many other partnerships yet (and I doubt we will) but I think his partner week on week will depend on who we are playing and what their forwards are like. Balogun will probably do us a little better of a turn against Dykes etc, while helander is a better option against more subtle strikers.

All of that said, we really are in a tremendous place regarding our centre halves.

Usually when players are out the team through injury or any other reason, the longer it is the better player they become in the minds of fans.

I think Helander was the opposite of that and people seemed to underrate him the longer he was out. He’s always been reliable for us.

If you can read the game as good as he does you don't need an abundance of pace.

The Best Defenders see the game infront of them and not over their shoulders.

Reactions: TN8
The big man doesn’t do “rust” does he! Well impressed with how sharp and focussed he’s been given he’s barely kicked a ball this year. With Balogun starting quite well too, the gaffer has some interesting options going forward. But some quality tackles from Helander in that second half, he might not be the quickest but his positional sense is fantastic.
I love his attitude, gives 100% and got that no nonsense about him which isn’t a bad thing in my book.

Spoiled for choice at CB when everyone is fit. Katic and Balogun look like excellent back ups to our main 2, but Helander comfortably the best centre back we have

He reads the game fantastically but has no pace which for me aint gonny cut it with our wingbacks bombing forward in my opinion

He is a classy player. Another half yard of pace and he would easily be playing in the top end of the EPL.

I like the way there is no histrionics with him as well. Compare and contrast to the mess of limbs that is Ajer, fist pumping after putting the ball out for a throw in.

Squad is coming together nicely, real competition for places with quality backup for rotation, injuries and suspensions.

For those who remember reminds me of Bobby Moore, great composure reads the game superbly and times his tackles to perfection
All our defenders have their own particular assets which is invaluable

It would probably be him and Goldson for me, we lost a lot of experience and composure when he got injured last season.

He done excellent when he came on. Although we controlled the game I thought Goldson looked shaky and a better side would have punished a few of his mistakes.

He has been solid in his performances , other than the obvious exposure he has re pace which was exposed in Germany . but I feel we are now seeing the player we have missed - a player who is more professional than the other CDs and a better passer and also left sided so that’s another plus .
I feel he is also tougher than the others and mentally strong .

As someone pointed out he is Davie Weir like .

packaged up it seems to me he is the most reliable CD we have.

for someone thats been out for so long he doesnt look like hes stopped for a week. one slight criticism ive had with him is that he doesnt have any real pace but he got back great to make that last ditch tackle tonight. great to have these options at the back now really is a toss up about who could start each game

I think Goldson has started the season fantastically well but I do find it baffling how folk could look at him and see a better defender than Helander never mind a far better one. I get the feeling that’s more of a show of support for the gaffer than anything because everyone knows only one of the two is undroppable.

It wasn’t that long ago that we all covered our eyes with our hands every time the ball came into our penalty box. What a contrast now. Helander is not the quickest but his reading of the game is excellent and should rub off on the others.

He has been solid in his performances , other than the obvious exposure he has re pace which was exposed in Germany . but I feel we are now seeing the player we have missed - a player who is more professional than the other CDs and a better passer and also left sided so that’s another plus .
I feel he is also tougher than the others and mentally strong .

As someone pointed out he is Davie Weir like .

packaged up it seems to me he is the most reliable CD we have.
Totally agree with the Weir comparison, he reads the game brilliantly. The only downside is Baloguns aggressive approach means we can play a higher line. It’s great to have choice depending on the game.

I think Goldson has started the season fantastically well but I do find it baffling how folk could look at him and see a better defender than Helander never mind a far better one. I get the feeling that’s more of a show of support for the gaffer than anything because everyone knows only one of the two is unstoppable.
My interpretation of SGs post match was an implied criticism of slackness today - and you have to say CG showed that more than most in that part of the game .

he has been hard on the likes of NK in past but without naming him that was directed I feel .

I think 'best' when talking about our centre halves is a redundant point.

Each of them is good, each have their own strengths over the others.

If you want someone to header their way through a parked bus, Katic is your man.
If you want someone to marshal your defence, Goldson is the one for that.
If you want someone cool as ice to read the game and make it look simple, Helander is clearly for that job.
If you want the ghost of Bougie past, well, Balogun does it.
Edmundson is someone who needs more time for me, but he will 100% get there.
Goldson is the fulcrum of the back line, in that he plays well with all of them. We have not seen too many other partnerships yet (and I doubt we will) but I think his partner week on week will depend on who we are playing and what their forwards are like. Balogun will probably do us a little better of a turn against Dykes etc, while helander is a better option against more subtle strikers.

All of that said, we really are in a tremendous place regarding our centre halves.

That’s a great post.

My interpretation of SGs post match was an implied criticism of slackness today - and you have to say CG showed that more than most in that part of the game .

he has been hard on the likes of NK in past but without naming him that was directed I feel .

It’s in his game, him strolling out and playing us into trouble isn’t a rarity. That’s why I’m puzzled to how anyone would have him ahead of Helander because you don’t really see that from the big Swede, he did well to mop up after Goldson at the end.

I think Goldson has started the season fantastically well but I do find it baffling how folk could look at him and see a better defender than Helander never mind a far better one. I get the feeling that’s more of a show of support for the gaffer than anything because everyone knows only one of the two is undroppable.
It’s not a show of support for Gerrard for thinking Goldson is our best centre half, Goldson has shown over the past two seasons he is our most consistent & best defender. Helander may well go on to prove he is our best defender but currently it is Goldson.

It’s not a show of support for Gerrard for thinking Goldson is our best centre half, Goldson has shown over the past two seasons he is our most consistent & best defender. Helander may well go on to prove he is our best defender but currently it is Goldson.

But I don’t think he has shown he’s our best defender. I think Helander looks a more assured, more solid and less error prone defender.

All our centre halfs have different attributes, which is great and a struggle for the manager!

I wonder if we will see games with Helander and Balogun, as that would also mean Balogun on his correct 'side'.
Helander is the best defender we have, but the others are not that far behind.

Back