Filip Helander.

IrvineLoyal

Aside from Leverkusen away and the mentally challengeds in league Cup final has he ever been on the losing side in league game?

Looks an absolute steal at what we paid now, reminds me of Craig Moore way he will put his body on the line to block shots and how he times his tackles.

Him and Goldson compliment each other so well, one week I think CG is better and Helander the next.

With Connors passing and Fil’s reading of the game they are an exceptional partnership.

I know Helander isn’t the quickest (even if it is exaggerated) but his brain thinks fast and that’s what’s important.

Both relatively young in centre half terms also, could be an exciting couple of years.

St Mirren W
St Johnstone W
Motherwell W
Ross County W
Livingston W
Hamilton W
Hearts W
Aberdeen D
St Johnstone W
Livingston D
Kilmarnock W
Hamilton W
Dundee Utd W
Hibs D
Motherwell W
Celtic W

That’s his league form since he signed, myself and a couple of pals in a WhatsApp chat came up with that - I think it’s 100% accurate.

He was my man of the match.

Love Goldson but he is every way the complete defender.

If he had pace he wouldnt be here.

Superb CH. I'm not sure about his lack of pace. He was struggling for fitness when he came in, but he's got sharper and has a decent turn of pace. Obviously his positional play and awareness compensates too, but I think we have a player that could easily slot in at a decent EPL side.

To come back from such a serious injury and lengthy lay off and play at such a high level says it all. He is top drawer and his partnership with Goldson is a big reason for the number of clean sheets we've had.

He’s a defenders defender. Must be a dream to play alongside him.
I think Borna & Goldson play better when he’s there and idk if it’s because they know he’s going to do his work so they don’t need to worry about covering for any errors like they sometimes need to do with Katic and Edmundson that they can just get on with their own duties

his stop was vital at the start of game, he's look very good.
That moment maybe goes under the radar a bit but what a huge tackle that was, so well read. He's a really excellent defender.

He is very good at knowing when to step out and go win the ball, or when to just stand off a bit.

We were at our best last season when he was partnering Goldson at the heart of the defence.

As much as I like Katic, it was obvious to me that he didn’t have the same composure or positional sense as the big Swede and I honestly don’t think we would have lost some of the games post shutdown that we did had he not gotten injured.

I think he’s absolutely vital to our title aspirations this season and as another poster said at the outset has probably been our best performer to date in this campaign.

Picked up from mid table Serie A and nobody had heard of him.

Meanwhile Celtic pick up an EPL defender and pay him 50k a week and a £2m loan fee.

Take a bow Andy Scoulding.

Excluding Europe, Helander has played in 21 games, he's been part of the defence which has kept 15 clean sheets in those games, and only conceded seven goals in the other six.
(This includes the half-time sub appearance vs St Johnstone and the 5-1 Motherwell game where he was subbed off after an hour - where his replacement Edmundson scored an own goal :) )

Aside from Leverkusen away and the mentally challengeds in league Cup final has he ever been on the losing side in league game?

Looks an absolute steal at what we paid now, reminds me of Craig Moore way he will put his body on the line to block shots and how he times his tackles.
His tackling is superb especially in the penalty box.

Him and Goldson compliment each other so well, one week I think CG is better and Helander the next.

With Connors passing and Fil’s reading of the game they are an exceptional partnership.

I know Helander isn’t the quickest (even if it is exaggerated) but his brain thinks fast and that’s what’s important.

Both relatively young in centre half terms also, could be an exciting couple of years.
Helander
Goldson
Balogun
Katic
Edmunson

We are absolutely sorted

It's funny that for most of the game you don't really notice him. That's probably because he reads the game that well he doesn't need to fly into last gasp tackles.
For someone with a supposed lack of pace you don't see many people running away from him.

That moment maybe goes under the radar a bit but what a huge tackle that was, so well read. He's a really excellent defender.

He is very good at knowing when to step out and go win the ball, or when to just stand off a bit.

That was actually in the right side of our defence too.

He’s read it brilliantly.

It's funny that for most of the game you don't really notice him. That's probably because he reads the game that well he doesn't need to fly into last gasp tackles.
For someone with a supposed lack of pace you don't see many people running away from him.
Think his running style makes him look slower than he is!!!

Said at the start of this season he was a very composed defender and one of our best. With him and Barasic together we also get the best out of Barasic defensively. He is a classy defender, good signing.

He’s a very classy player who’s reading of the game is top drawer. £3.5m for a guy of his age and ability is amazing.

I’m a fan of Balogun but it’s essential we keep Helander fit this season.
We've good backup in Balogun, Katic and Edmunson but make no mistake about it if all are fit, Helander is the first defender on the team sheet

Back