Filip Helander.

He is an amazing defender, I remember all the moans on here when we signed him, why did we need another defender people said, well he has shown us why because he is a different level.

our back 4 is superb and he tops the lot for me.

The manager and his team deserve all the credit for the way they've slowly built this squad. We've went from pretenders with not much hope to walking over Celtic in first gear at Parkhead and no-one other than those at Rangers (supporters and players/staff etc) have noticed (yet) how good we actually are.

How often do you see defenders make slide tackles In the box these days? Big Helander does it often and wins the ball without any danger. Best defender in the league in my opinion

He has been incredible all season. His positional sense, awareness and tackling are sensational.

the+quiet+man2.jpg

He’s definitely a solid performer week in week out. Hopefully he can stay fit now the rest of the season. I didn’t like OP’s comparison to Craig Moore...I never rated Skippy.

He's a cut above, it's as simple as that.

For someone who is slow off the mark, he doesn't get yellow cards. Normally, slower defenders get turned by pace, panic, lunge in and get a yellow or they sit so deep that they allow the opposition to get between the lines and play freely.

Neither of those situations ever seem to happen with Helander.

Also, he is seemingly always in the right position. You only really notice he's a bit slower than the rest over five yards when he shepherds a player out into a safe position instead of letting them inside.

For a second you think "oh no, they're faster than him" and then you realise that both Helander and the attacker are chasing the ball whilst literally running away from our goal.

Finally, my favourite bit of defending during the Old Firm game came from him.

Thumb jumped over the keeper, expected an easy tap in so didn't dive over (which he would have got a penalty for), looked up to see the angle for the tap-in and did a literal double take as Helander was there in his face shielding the goal.

He got so spooked by it, he hit the shot at the corner flag and was easily pounced on by a recovering McGregor.

Hes been on the losing side 3 times in a year and a bit. Young Boys away, the league cup final, where he didnt finish the game, and Leverkusen which was his first game since said final. Its amazing what a preseason in a team does for a player. One thing that was mentioned that really hits home and I never noticed is that he very rarely fouls and is never booked despite not being the fastest defender. His reading is superb and hes proving to be a real asset and a steal at £3.5M

Aside from Leverkusen away and the mentally challengeds in league Cup final has he ever been on the losing side in league game?

Looks an absolute steal at what we paid now, reminds me of Craig Moore way he will put his body on the line to block shots and how he times his tackles.
He was playing against Young Boys when we lost 2-1.

Back