Finally a Roy Makaay Interview

A strong reminder of how well the squad has adapted to the new style of play being implemented by the management. We had games every 3 days until this joke of a break.

I'm bouncing to see how the squad has taken everything on board from the management and progressed even further in the last couple of weeks. Bring on the second half of the season :cool:

My favourite part of watching the warm up from the Govan.

I don’t know why as it gives me the fear every time. I often wonder how we’ve ever scored a goal.
Me too from the Main Stand. The guys around me must wonder what I’m on as I laugh, groan and moan before a ball is even kicked.

very impressive and seeing Sakala that boy just looks so iinfectious and always smiling I like that

Hope we get a Zeb Jacobs interview soon

Does he have tourettes or something similar?

Genuine question. Not trying to be funny or to say there's anything wrong with that.

Really impressive guy.

His English is 100% better than my Dutch , so I have every faith in knowing that he has the heart of our club in his hands and wants his players to succeed.

We can't go wrong with this set up.

Rudolphus Antonius "Roy" Makaay

the phantom .

i remember watching him rip the Madrid defence to shreds for deportiv
within the first 20 mins he had laid one on all 4 of them and offer one of them a square go .

he scored some great goals if Alfie could finish half as good as him he's get 35/40 a season up here .

a real old fashioned forward a dying art his type is .

ROY MAKAAY is confident Rangers have the mix of talent and mentality to ensure they can defend their Premiership crown this term.

The champions will aim to pick up where they left off in the top flight when they make the trip to face Aberdeen next Tuesday night.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst's side are six points clear of Celtic in the title race thanks to an impressive run of form since the Dutchman replaced Steven Gerrard as manager.

Makaay has played his part in that sequence as Van Bronckhorst's right-hand man and the former Bundesliga and La Liga champion is well aware of what it will take to get over the line in the coming months.

Makaay said: "I played for some big clubs. I played for one of the biggest clubs in the world in Bayern Munich and I have come to another big club here at Rangers.

"The most successful club in the world. They are used to winning titles.

"Of course the last few years it wasn’t there but they won the championship last year. The only thing is to work hard every day.

"To win titles you have to work hard. Talent is not enough. You need more than talent – hard work, dedication, helping each other.

"Of course if they have questions about some stuff they can always ask me. It can be young players or it can be experienced players as well.

"We have a lot of successful players in the team as well so they know what it is to win a title. To be a good team with good players is not enough to win a title. They showed last year they are the team to do that."

Makaay made the move to Ibrox alongside Van Bronckhorst in November as they were reunited once again in Glasgow and tasked with succeeding Gerrard following his switch to Aston Villa.

The 46-year-old previously held a position within the Feyenoord academy and had no hesitation about signing up for a new challenge and life in Scotland.

Makaay said: "It was easy. The boss asked me if I wanted to join his backroom staff, as you call it here, if he was appointed as head coach. It was an easy question with an easy answer.

"I enjoyed working with him at Feyenoord so when he gave me the opportunity to join in I don’t have to think much.

"Our relationship starts further back. We played together for the Dutch national team at Under-21, played together in the Dutch national team and we both had our careers abroad.

"At Feyenoord, we came back together. We have known each other a long time and the families get along very well.

"When he asked me at Feyenoord to make the step from the youth academy to the first team, it was a big honour.

"When he asked me to join his backroom staff again, I didn’t have to think about it. I knew if he would ask me I would be very glad to join him."

The first weeks of Van Bronckhorst's reign couldn't have gone much better on or off the park and Lyon are the only side to deny Rangers victory under their Dutch boss.

The new management team have received a warm welcome at Ibrox and Makaay has been taken aback by the impact of the Light Blues support.

Makaay told RangersTV: "Our first game was spectacular against Sparta Prague. The whole stadium and atmosphere was brilliant.

"My wife was here a week with me and she could see two home games and she was really impressed as well by the fans.

"Hopefully I can bring my kids as soon as possible so they can live the atmosphere in the stadium because it is something special."

Hopefully add another couple of trophies to our haul over the coming months. Choking to win the league but must admit wouldn’t mind a wee day out in May at Hampden as well.

Can we not copyright or some legal shit to stop rags just using our rtv content ?

Club pay for development and design etc and we pay a subscription and these c*nts just lift it and print it.

Can we not copyright or some legal shit to stop rags just using our rtv content ?

Club pay for development and design etc and we pay a subscription and these c*nts just lift it and print it.
So long as they credit the source the club are fine with it I think.

Rudolphus Antonius "Roy" Makaay

the phantom .

i remember watching him rip the Madrid defence to shreds for deportiv
within the first 20 mins he had laid one on all 4 of them and offer one of them a square go .

he scored some great goals if Alfie could finish half as good as him he's get 35/40 a season up here .

a real old fashioned forward a dying art his type is .

Even though I live in Berlin, Bayern has always been my second team since moving to Germany.

In terms of strikers, no 1 is Gerd and always will be.

Second is Lewandowski, perhaps even getting near to der bomber. Still won’t ever be the same.

Plenty of other legends before my time. Rummenigge etc.

Makaay is in that best of the rest camp with your Elber’s, Janker’s etc. That is no mean feat. The Bayern fans still adore him.

Always loved him as a player, never thought he truly got the credit for how good he was at times. Golden Boot winner at Deportivo before he left, scored a hat-trick in Bayern against them before he signed. Scored a hat-trick for Bayern in UCL too, so done it for two clubs. Still got the record for the quickest goal in the UCL, 10 seconds against Real Madrid.

Top player - lucky to have him. I think we can put Morelos form down to his input.

Good interview with MaKaay. What a player he was in his day. Gerrard leaving and this new management team has really worked in our favour, the players seem to be really buying into Gio and his staff. I was worried that the typical straight talking and direct Dutch personality trait may wind players up the wrong way, "Tricks are for the circus", but all the training ground footage shows great camaraderie between management and players.

Back