Finally we can nail the myth of 'we just one or two' added

Still have way too many believing we tweak squad slightly, defeat the refs, and then attack the Tims and romp to title.

The actual reality of the situation is that we are a long way off and the only way we are going to get close is though gradual, year-on-year improvement. For the first time, I actually feel I’ve seen signs of improvement this season - as disappointing as the ending is shaping up to be once again. We got a monkey off our back after 29 Dec - next is winning a trophy, any trophy.

There is no magic money tree to fund a ‘revolution’. There is no top-line Manager waiting to come in with the promise of a £7m net spend. In short, there is no quick fix. Ripping it up and starting over every 12 months actually makes the recovery longer because we are going back to the start every year, there is therefore no gradual improvement that way.

2 centre halfs
Left back
2 wingers
2 strikers (if Morelos goes )
2 attacking midfields.
1 al round midfielder.

And these players have to be of a certain quality.

No jones no hastie no Graeme shinnie. We need quality in the team to win trophy’s and challenge them

2 centre halfs
Left back
2 wingers
2 attacking midfields.
1 al round midfielder.

No jones no hastie no Graeme shinnie. We need quality in the team to win trophy’s and challenge them

Send Dave King your bank details mate and let him know how much you can chip in.;):)

Been growing arms and legs on here.

"Actually great squad, just need some quality on top, a few class acts and we'll be title contenders".

That's not true is it? Be honest...let's cut the crap. However we can't rebuild every summer AND don't have the money to do so. Catch 22. We are biggest team in the UK IMHO but we can't fulfill our ambition using cash. We can't buy the title. So how do we use cunning, guile, and every advantage we can gain to close the gap?

Huge summer for board, manager, coaches and scouts etc.

This won't last...full houses, hope, and passion. Rangers FC isn't second best. It won't adapt to it either.
My opinion was always 3-4 quality players. Not now. But, the management staff should be getting more from these players.

2 centre halfs
Left back
2 wingers
2 attacking midfields.
1 al round midfielder.

We will lose Worrall and McAuley so 2 are required.

Wallace out of contract, Halliday is no left back and question marks over Barišić.

Lafferty isn't the answer, Defoe will hopefully be recalled, even if Morelos stays we need a couple of ST's.

We have one right sided attacker - Candeias. We need more. Kent will leave, possibly replaced by Jones. Downgrade. No one knows how Murphy will return and Middleton needs a loan deal.

Still lack genuine quality in midfield, dig and creativity.

If we want to be successful, your Jack, Arfield and Candeias become "squad players and are replaced.

We also have to remember that Morelos is now potentially a £15m striker. We can’t replace him like-for-like barring a miracle. We will probably need to do both: sign proven quality and take similar gambles.
He's a 20m minimum striker. He won't be sold for less. Straight from Stewart Robertson's mouth.

From our last title winning squad

Genuine match winners

McGregor
Weir
Bougherra
Davis
Naismith
Jelavic
Miller

Squad/support players

Broadfoot
Wylde
Healy
Velicka
Whittaker
Lafferty
McCulloch
Edu
Diouf
Papac*
Foster
Bartley
Webster
Beattie

Give me those 7 players in their prime, and supplement them with any half decent squad and we win the league. That’s what we have to build toward.

*maybe not an outright match winner, but a critical part of the team.

Last edited:
From our last title winning squad

Genuine match winners

McGregor
Weir
Bougherra
Davis
Naismith
Jelavic
Miller

Squad/support players

Broadfoot
Wylde
Healy
Velicka
Whittaker
Lafferty
McCulloch
Edu
Diouf
Papac
Foster
Bartley
Webster
Beattie

Give me those 7 players in their prime, and supplement them with any half decent squad and we win the league. That’s what we have to build toward.

I’d probably shift the legend that is Sasa to your top list but other than that - bang on the money.

Can we end the myth that barisic has a great delivery also.

He delivered against us.

That ain't a myth, that's what we saw, that's what we embraced. It hasn't happened. Tell me about it.

But hey, let's take our angst out on a nothing instead of looking at the so called 'big players' and management who have delivered less than Barisic's mythical crosses.

Wallace out of contract, Halliday is no left back and question marks over Barišić.

Lafferty isn't the answer, Defoe will hopefully be recalled, even if Morelos stays we need a couple of ST's.

We have one right sided attacker - Candeias. We need more. Kent will leave, possibly replaced by Jones. Downgrade. No one knows how Murphy will return and Middleton needs a loan deal.

If we want to be successful, your Jack, Arfield and Candeias become "squad players and are replaced.

Why are you hopeful Defoe's recalled?

Agree with most things u say

If everybody stays then for our starting 11 I think we need 3 players.

I appreciate what everyone is saying about wholesale changes but we need a quality mid and two inside forwards if we are to stick with this formation. The main problem we have is scoring goals (not creating enough chances against the low block). Get better quality in those areas and we can cover the odd slip in defence.

Spot on. If you can obtain real creative quality up top everybody else in other positions also looks much better.

We have to have more creation and we have to address the way we are being reffed. If we do both, we can win.

He delivered against us.

That ain't a myth, that's what we saw, that's what we embraced. It hasn't happened. Tell me about it.

But hey, let's take our angst out on a nothing instead of looking at the so called 'big players' and management who have delivered less than Barisic's mythical crosses.
He delivered against us because he was up against Tav.Honestly,one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen playing for us,?A player who couldn't cut out a cross if his life depended on it .

It’s even more alarming that the manager believes we don’t need fairly substantial surgery (not as substational as last year). We are easy 8-10 players short when you consider the outgoings, either forced or potential sales like Morelos. That’s before you consider the strain of 65+ games again next season.

We have failed. Completely failed.

Don’t worry we have Jordan “messi “ Jones coming in the summer, all looking good !

It doesn’t nail anything.

Nothing has changed. We need 3 or 4 bits of quality in key areas, we don’t need another 10 new signings.

We probably will bring in about 10 new players, but 3 or 4 ‘bits of quality’ is essential.

Will we get them though?

I have my doubts.

He delivered against us because he was up against Tav.Honestly,one of the worst defensive players I've ever seen playing for us,?A player who couldn't cut out a cross if his life depended on it .

I watched him in their two EL matches before they played us. He was outstanding in both. Goodness knows what’s gone wrong with him.

We’re a million miles away! The board had a bloody hard decision to make in the summer, IMO they made the wrong choice!

Who they should have went for I’ve no idea, but for a novice manger to build a squad from scratch? Madness IMO

4 or 5 real quality players needed in summer.
Quality over quantity.
Grezda, Barisic and Katic need this season to settle.
McCrorie not in team is a crime.
In summer we really need to get the right recruitment or we can expect more of the same which saddens me.
We need to stick by and give Gerrard time and hopefully it'll come good.

Spot on. If you can obtain real creative quality up top everybody else in other positions also looks much better.

We have to have more creation and we have to address the way we are being reffed. If we do both, we can win.

Think we've more chance of finding the new Messi than getting reffed properly. One can hope (try), though.

Here;s a right sided forward who would be in our price range who is direct and creative with more technical ability than Candeias (albeit probably not as good defensively): Duvan Vergara (a 22 y/o Colombian currently playing for Rosario). Reason I mention him is that it is easy for me (us) to post in generalities so I'll highlight players in the market I know.

We need a strong spine. Experienced central defender, midfield playmaker and experienced striker to play with Defoe.

Think we've more chance of finding the new Messi than getting reffed properly. One can hope (try), though.

Here;s a right sided forward who would be in our price range who is direct and creative with more technical ability than Candeias (albeit probably not as good defensively): Duvan Vergara (a 22 y/o Colombian currently playing for Rosario). Reason I mention him is that it is easy for me (us) to post in generalities so I'll highlight players in the market I know.

Offside surely. Nice finish though.

My opinion was always 3-4 quality players. Not now. But, the management staff should be getting more from these players.

These two points are at the crux of the problem.

We need better players - it might only be 3 or 4 (I’m not confident we’ll even get that), but it’ll be 3 or 4 more than we currently have - but is the manager actually good enough to make the most of them?

We still don’t actually know.

It certainly looked like it up until the winter break, but his inability to reinvigorate this group of players is a bit of a concern.

We’re comfortably second, which is what most of us demanded at the start of the season, but we have a better squad of players than everyone bar Celtic and the feeling persists that we should be doing a bit better than we are.

So is that a sign that the manager isn’t getting through to them?

There’s a horrible sense of that at the minute and that’s never good.

It’s even more alarming that the manager believes we don’t need fairly substantial surgery (not as substational as last year). We are easy 8-10 players short when you consider the outgoings, either forced or potential sales like Morelos. That’s before you consider the strain of 65+ games again next season.

We have failed. Completely failed.
Does that not depend on what the target is or was.
What was yours?

We need 5 or 6:for me who one in and play. On top of that we need to replace whoever we lose ( Morelos, Tav, Worrall)
We also need to start moving others on.

The actual reality of the situation is that we are a long way off and the only way we are going to get close is though gradual, year-on-year improvement. For the first time, I actually feel I’ve seen signs of improvement this season - as disappointing as the ending is shaping up to be once again. We got a monkey off our back after 29 Dec - next is winning a trophy, any trophy.

There is no magic money tree to fund a ‘revolution’. There is no top-line Manager waiting to come in with the promise of a £7m net spend. In short, there is no quick fix. Ripping it up and starting over every 12 months actually makes the recovery longer because we are going back to the start every year, there is therefore no gradual improvement that way.
The only bit I can’t agree with.
I think we have a bit to go but, I think we’re a bit closer than this.

Our problem is the midfield we have nobody who will take responsibility, take on a player and shoot from outside the box. I’d keep kamara the rest could go.
On a different matter if a player deliberately fouls an opponent with no intention of going for the ball is that a red?? Must have happened at least 3 times today as well as Tuesday night. Every team kicks feck out of us every week.

The only bit I can’t agree with.
I think we have a bit to go but, I think we’re a bit closer than this.

Ach, it’s a subjective view mate. A bit ‘how long is a piece is string’. I’ve been banging on this week about ‘fine margins’ and how we’ve lost the same number of games as the Dhims so we’re not so far away. The problem is, these bloody draws just keep on coming. We could have won comfortably in the second half today. We didn’t. Equally, we could have gone in 2-0 down at half-time. Scunnered!

Our problem is the midfield we have nobody who will take responsibility, take on a player and shoot from outside the box. I’d keep kamara the rest could go.
On a different matter if a player deliberately fouls an opponent with no intention of going for the ball is that a red?? Must have happened at least 3 times today as well as Tuesday night. Every team kicks feck out of us every week.
I’ve offered other suggestions to our problem on other posts but, a player that the opposition physically fear would maybe cut out some of the stuff we’re getting hit with game after game.
Then again, would our player be allowed to “exert this style of play”?

I’ve offered other suggestions to our problem on other posts but, a player that the opposition physically fear would maybe cut out some of the stuff we’re getting hit with game after game.
Then again, would our player be allowed to “exert this style of play”?

We have a player the opposition fear.

Problem is, he’s the only one.

We need another couple at least.

These two points are at the crux of the problem.

We need better players - it might only be 3 or 4 (I’m not confident we’ll even get that), but it’ll be 3 or 4 more than we currently have - but is the manager actually good enough to make the most of them?

We still don’t actually know.

It certainly looked like it up until the winter break, but his inability to reinvigorate this group of players is a bit of a concern.

We’re comfortably second, which is what most of us demanded at the start of the season, but we have a better squad of players than everyone bar Celtic and the feeling persists that we should be doing a bit better than we are.

So is that a sign that the manager isn’t getting through to them?

There’s a horrible sense of that at the minute and that’s never good.
I agree, it's easy to say that these players aren't good enough etc but they should still be better than what they're showing. The realisation is setting in that either something's not getting across to the players or the manager is incapable of finding a solution we continually face.
Either way, it's clearly not working.

Two quality midfielders and a goalscoring winger makes a helluva difference to that team today.

We’re solid enough.

We lack guile, craft and goals from those who are not Alfie

We're currently at Dr Jo Venglos stage and I take no pleasure in saying that.
Unsure why you are comparing us to that mob as our circumstances are completely different.They were just off the back of winning the title under Jansen. They also at that time had quality in their team, Mjalby, Moravcik, Viduka and Larsson, Lambert. Something we don't possess in our team at the moment. They also scudded us 5-1 that season.

True on the former.

I think that’s where we should be looking drg. The silks are a given there. The one very saleable asset we have and the player that is obviously the manager’s favourite is a South American. Why are we not scouting there? Can South Americans only cut it in this backwater if they come via Finland? The thinking seems muddled.

Been growing arms and legs on here.

"Actually great squad, just need some quality on top, a few class acts and we'll be title contenders".

That's not true is it? Be honest...let's cut the crap. However we can't rebuild every summer AND don't have the money to do so. Catch 22. We are biggest team in the UK IMHO but we can't fulfill our ambition using cash. We can't buy the title. So how do we use cunning, guile, and every advantage we can gain to close the gap?

Huge summer for board, manager, coaches and scouts etc.

This won't last...full houses, hope, and passion. Rangers FC isn't second best. It won't adapt to it either.
You'll need to explain why you think we are the biggest team in the UK.

Reactions: VGM
Sadly after some time to cool down I fear that we are looking at years of mediocrity. We can’t keep changing managers but it’s also clear that the players recruited and the manager at the helm aren’t of the required standard.

Attendances will drop as will interest.

Due to our financial position and refusal to chop and change managers Gerrard will likely get the full season next year, which he will make another mess of and we’ll be going into the next season trying to stop 10 with a new manager and new players.

We are miles away from having a good first team and strong squad. Miles.

Any one saying 2, 3 or 4 are absolutely kidding themselves.

Next season we will have Murphy, dorrans, polster, fit grezda, docherty, rossiter and goldson with a full season under his belt given the fact he's clearly burnt out from playing more games in 9 months than he had in previous 4 years due to injuries

Then add a no 10, centre half, winger and another forward or two should morelos leave and we'll be in a better position.

We need quality though. The no 10 has to be able to shoot from distance and find that pass that unlocks a defence

The centre half replacing worrall neds to be mentally tough, pacy and a leader

The winger needs to be able to have a final ball on him

Last edited:
Sadly after some time to cool down I fear that we are looking at years of mediocrity. We can’t keep changing managers but it’s also clear that the players recruited and the manager at the helm aren’t of the required standard.

Attendances will drop as will interest.

Due to our financial position and refusal to chop and change managers Gerrard will likely get the full season next year, which he will make another mess of and we’ll be going into the next season trying to stop 10 with a new manager and new players.

You're being ridulous and thats me being kind

We were a basketcase club and Gerrards come in got us into group stages of UEFA, beat Celtic at home and got us 8 points clear from 3rd place Aberdeen. We've only lost 8 games in 52 we just need a bit more quality in the team to turn draws into wins. A no 10, new winger and centre half

That celtic squad has a wagebill of £60m and cost £50m to put together over an 11 year period i'd say thats not the worst first season to have. To put things into perspective that Rangers team has cost just short of £12m to build and i include wallaces fee in that

We could be patient and give the manager another season but you've already written him off becaue he never won a cup or league first time of asking. Get a grip of yourself

Greegs
Tav Katic Goodison new
Kent McCrorie new
Murphy Morelos new

Then we are probably punting Tav and Morelos which means 5 new starters in my opinion. That's big cash and a huge job for the recruitment team, which hasn't really delivered so far.

Back