Finally we can nail the myth of 'we just one or two' added

I really hope we keep Defoe for next season.There is still a good proven goalscorer there,we just need to accommodate him better.Perhaps a new formation next season.
I thought we looked more dangerous yesterday when Defoe came on. There was at least a bit of movement and something for the defenders to tHink about. We must find a system that accommodates him and Morelos as we cannot go on relying on one player for goals.

I feel like people really fail to understand how crippling the problems with the current team are and instead of thinking about why exactly that is just shout we need new players everywhere. I mean we have the 2nd best defence in the league and only 6 more conceded from the best so it's not like previous seasons where we're leaking in goals left and right, we dominate the ball in the majority of matches so it's not like we dont have players who can control the match, we create plenty of chances or at least put ourselves into spots where chances should be created but outside of one player there's no one who can score on a consistent basis, that falls on the other attackers not named Alfredo Morelos, Candeias/Kent only scoring 10 goals between them is brutal when you're playing a 4-3-3 and is ultimately what hurts us so much when we draw these games, the midfield doesn't help a ton for goals either but it's criminal for your RB to have more goals in the league than your main two wingers do in all competitions and that's where we drastically need to improve.

We dont need to bring in any GK, RB or HMD, we will need to bring in back up CB's so that's two there, we need a #10 urgently, same for at least one goal scoring winger so that's 1/2 and we will likely need another striker if Morelos leaves so that's 1. So looking at it we need 5/6 players if Morelos is the only key player to leave but a couple of those will be for depth and will be a lot easier to pick out. We really need to kill it with our attacking signings though, fail on those and we'll be sitting here talking about the same next year.

It’s even more alarming that the manager believes we don’t need fairly substantial surgery (not as substational as last year). We are easy 8-10 players short when you consider the outgoings, either forced or potential sales like Morelos. That’s before you consider the strain of 65+ games again next season.

We have failed. Completely failed.

If the club have to Sacrifice the Europa groups to get the title, so be it.

We're getting at least 6 new players calm down it's happening were getting there.
All Is good patience required gents

“All is good”

Yeah certainly feels like it sitting in mid-March dying for another shocking season to be over.

List of who I think will leave either permanently or on loan:
Foderingham,Flanagan,Worrall,MacAuley,Wallace,Dorrans,Coulibaly,Davis,Kent,Grezda,Defoe,Morelos.
I’ve purposely not included anyone out on loan currently,only players who might have a chance of coming back are Rossiter and Docherty although that’s highly speculative.
Players who I think might come in(or at least the level I’d hope to see):
Jones(disagree with),Shinnie,Hastie,
Suchy,Halkett,Koljic,Petterson,a central midfield playmaker like Ivanusec,And a number ten of as high a standard as we can possibly afford.
Might mean we could line up something like;

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Shinnie
Jack Ivanusec
Petterson Ten Murphy
Koljic

The key will be getting the right calibre if number ten imo,that along with a playmaker and wide player that scores goals could make the difference.Ironically the money we get for Alfie our best player by a mile might actually be what makes us better,as unpalatable as selling him is.

This year I think we were around 6 referees short
I would agree with this but would add that we need time to get to where we are going. It's great to think at the beginning of every season that this is going to be the one but we need to realise that we are rebuilding a team and its going to take time.

W
Gerrard knows most of these players aren't good enough.

I think we will see around ten new players (including loans) arrive before the start of next season.

In my humble opinion the loans have to stop. We have had limited success and a loan player will never give as much as a fully contracted player. Just my opinion.

The board must find a substantial investment from either within or outside if we want to stop them getting ten.

Been growing arms and legs on here.

"Actually great squad, just need some quality on top, a few class acts and we'll be title contenders".

That's not true is it? Be honest...let's cut the crap. However we can't rebuild every summer AND don't have the money to do so. Catch 22. We are biggest team in the UK IMHO but we can't fulfill our ambition using cash. We can't buy the title. So how do we use cunning, guile, and every advantage we can gain to close the gap?

Huge summer for board, manager, coaches and scouts etc.

This won't last...full houses, hope, and passion. Rangers FC isn't second best. It won't adapt to it either.

It’s certainly the best base since we’ve come back up.

We need a few starting quality players that’s for sure I’ll agree with that.

CH, LB, CM, AM and a starting RIGHT winger.

Barisic doesn’t have it to play in the SPL by the looks of things, Worral will be away, we need an up grade in centre midfield at least two of the positions. Candeias needs to be replaced and potentially Kent if we don’t buy him.

As you say a big summer ahead, they had better get it right!

W

In my humble opinion the loans have to stop. We have had limited success and a loan player will never give as much as a fully contracted player. Just my opinion.

The board must find a substantial investment from either within or outside if we want to stop them getting ten.

I've no doubt the board have been looking for external investment, however there's not a ton of guys out there without an interest in Rangers willing to invest, so it's the fans, board members and the various revenue streams that have to fund and fuel the club.
Loan signings are a necessity due to the financial situation. Even the scum loan players. All we can do is bring in the best ones we can for positions were we can't afford a better player.

W

You've been around long enough to know that this notion that there are people out there wanting to put millions in is nonsense. It might happen one day - when we have finally stabilised the Club. That means an end to the Ashley onerous contract, an end to the soft loans and a Club standing on its own two feet. All that seems some way off to me right now.

Until then, its Dave King and whatever allies he can muster up - plus we fans. There is not going to be a pot of gold. We need to manage our way out of this by year-on-year improvement. That is not going to come by ripping it up and starting anew every damned Summer. This season is the first since we returned to the top league that I've actually felt there were signs of actually getting somewhere. Ultimately its going to end in disappointment. However, we got a monkey off our backs on 29 Dec, we restored some Europe-wide pride - and garnered some much needed funding - via our EL run. Now we need to win a trophy, any trophy.

Gerrard has to be given time. He's making the right 'noises' about 'quality' and 'marquee signings', lets see if he can deliver - or is allowed to deliver. Change some of those bloody draws to even single-goal victories and the picture is a lot different.

Where do you want to start? I'll happily go toe to toe.

We have 2 or 3 players in squad who could realistically be imagined holding aloft a league trophy. That's it. You're in fantasy land.

Our last league winning squads had guys like Kirk Broadfoot, Mo Edu, Andrius Velicka, Kyle Hutton, Greg Wylde, Lee McCulloch, Richard Foster, Kyle Hutton, Jamie Ness, Lafferty, Diouf etc making up the numbers around a core of quality consistent players.

Davis, Bougherra, Jelavic, Miller, Weir, McGregor, Papac and Whittaker made up the core of that team for 3 years. We are only 4 or 5 quality players away from having a squad like that who can dig in and find a bit of quality and extra desire to turn draws into wins.

Just a reminder that there is a danger in us relying on a single player, no matter how good they are, coming in to us at this time.

At this time, we field 11 sitting ducks for the opposition to come in, elbow, hack, trip, assault, feign injury to, and anything else they can think of.

Aided and Abetted by match officials who are either incompetent or biased, or both.

Getting that one, or even two, stars in to our sq2uad nexyt year would mean that they'd be targetted from the off -- either as the next weekly red-card recipients, or for the injury treatment tables.

We keep saying it -- we could bring in Messi, Salah, Ronaldo, Neymar, Modric and Mbappe ... and they'd be kicked (and carded) off the park.

Bring in the right players, certainly.
But bring them in to an environment where they are able to play.
Which requires that off-field PR that we're all wondering about.

I'd imagine the investment sources within are pretty near tapped out. Why would external investment come in when the club is not allowed to compete, is the whipping boy for society's ills and the local management are too afraid to stand up to it?
Dave King's negligence in this is will costing us and it'll get worse. I cannot fathom it, we cannot succeed under these conditions.

I don’t think we need a huge amount of new players! A replacement for Worrall and McCaully. A creative player and a wide player. That’s it really. I think next season Barasic and Grezda will come into their own. We’ve Docherty and Rossiter to come back. I have no concerns over Katic and Goldson as first pick centre half’s.
McGreggor
Tav Goldson Katic Barasic
Docherty. New player. New player.
Defoe Morelos Grezda.

Our biggest challenge will be making Defoe and Morelos work together, and getting some confidence back into our defenders. Earlier this season we were flying. Even just a few weeks ago we were flying. We just need to get the mentality right so heads don’t go down, that’s the management that should (and will!) be doing that over the close season.

I don’t think we need a huge amount of new players! A replacement for Worrall and McCaully. A creative player and a wide player. That’s it really. I think next season Barasic and Grezda will come into their own. We’ve Docherty and Rossiter to come back. I have no concerns over Katic and Goldson as first pick centre half’s.
McGreggor
Tav Goldson Katic Barasic
Docherty. New player. New player.
Defoe Morelos Grezda.

Our biggest challenge will be making Defoe and Morelos work together, and getting some confidence back into our defenders. Earlier this season we were flying. Even just a few weeks ago we were flying. We just need to get the mentality right so heads don’t go down, that’s the management that should (and will!) be doing that over the close season.

I think most of us felt that way, but its funny how the mind plays tricks.

First 10 league games we got 18 points and conceded 10 goals.

Next 20 league games we got 21 points and conceded 6 goals.

Next 10 league games we got 21 points and conceded 6 goals.

The early part of the season was actually our worst.

From our last title winning squad

Genuine match winners

McGregor
Weir
Bougherra
Davis
Naismith
Jelavic
Miller

Squad/support players

Broadfoot
Wylde
Healy
Velicka
Whittaker
Lafferty
McCulloch
Edu
Diouf
Papac*
Foster
Bartley
Webster
Beattie

Give me those 7 players in their prime, and supplement them with any half decent squad and we win the league. That’s what we have to build toward.

*maybe not an outright match winner, but a critical part of the team.

We really arent far off having a core of that quality really.

with the lianees going back and out of contracts etc we could be 4/5 short for first teamregulars /squad. if possible we need to recruit the better players in scotland that would jump at the chance to play for us otherwise there are better players for reasonable money in Scandinavia/ eastern europe with proven european experience allbeit at europa league level or even left field ask pedro as outof 5 players he brought in how much money wpuld candais and alfredo be worth and how much did we spend ?? we dont have fortunes to spend so need to be thinking out of the box abit sadly. hopefully the shitstorm over at the piggery coming that will even the signings in scotland up

If I think of the teams that have taken points off us this season - do I believe they have better squads than us ?
With the exception of ira f.c. - no I don't

So why are we dropping points to inferior teams ?
Well plastic pitches & dodgy refs don't help - but more importantly- these teams - for whatever reason - are often better organised than us - employ better tactics & have more determination, team spirit & desire than us

Although it would be beneficial to add better quality all over the pitch - without sufficient motivation & 'flexible' tactics -I can still see us struggle

Our current squad should have delivered a better points total & a closer run 2nd place than we've achieved so far

IMO unless we sort out our 'mentality' & 'belief' in ourselves - drastically changing our squad will not solve our problems

If I think of the teams that have taken points off us this season - do I believe they have better squads than us ?
With the exception of ira f.c. - no I don't

So why are we dropping points to inferior teams ?
Well plastic pitches & dodgy refs don't help - but more importantly- these teams - for whatever reason - are often better organised than us - employ better tactics & have more determination, team spirit & desire than us

Although it would be beneficial to add better quality all over the pitch - without sufficient motivation & 'flexible' tactics -I can still see us struggle

Our current squad should have delivered a better points total & a closer run 2nd place than we've achieved so far

IMO unless we sort out our 'mentality' & 'belief' in ourselves - drastically changing our squad will not solve our problems

Its a whole lot easier to set up a team to defend and not lose than it is to set up a team to break down a packed defence. We see it every year in the English FA Cup and, dare I say, we saw it used to great effect by Sir Walter back in 2008 (amongst others).

They are indeed organised - but I'd stop short of saying they employ better tactics and have more determination etc. Different, easier, tactics would be nearer the mark.

We have these players leaving unless things change
Worrall
Kent
Morelos if sold
Wallace
Macaulay
Davis
Coullibally
Foderingham.

You could also possibly add some of the list below
Lafferty
Barasic
Grezda
Flanagan
Rossiter if not fancied
Docherty if not fancied
Hardie
Holt
Defoe Big wage sitting on bench
Herrera
We will definitely need to rebuild again next season.
That's a lot of wasted wages sitting right there.

We have these players leaving unless things change
Worrall
Kent
Morelos if sold
Wallace
Macaulay
Davis
Coullibally
Foderingham.

You could also possibly add some of the list below
Lafferty
Barasic
Grezda
Flanagan
Rossiter if not fancied
Docherty if not fancied
Hardie
Holt
Defoe Big wage sitting on bench
Herrera
We will definitely need to rebuild again next season.
That's a lot of wasted wages sitting right there.

Theres only about 4 on the list have made any meaningful contribution. We need quality, not numbers who dont contribute

Theres only about 4 on the list have made any meaningful contribution. We need quality, not numbers who dont contribute
If most of them Leave then the myth of only neading 3 or 4 quality players to succeed is put to bed.
We will need numbers in the summer again
Its going to be 10 + again

Its a whole lot easier to set up a team to defend and not lose than it is to set up a team to break down a packed defence. We see it every year in the English FA Cup and, dare I say, we saw it used to great effect by Sir Walter back in 2008 (amongst others).

They are indeed organised - but I'd stop short of saying they employ better tactics and have more determination etc. Different, easier, tactics would be nearer the mark.

I wouldn't disagree with your points - especially with defending being 'easier' than attacking packed defences
However may I ask if you are satisfied with our tactics, determination or self-belief ?
Because I certainly believe it's not what it should be
I also belive many a title or trophy is won when a less than perfect team is bolstered by determination, motivation & belief

I wouldn't disagree with your points - especially with defending being 'easier' than attacking packed defences
However may I ask if you are satisfied with our tactics, determination or self-belief ?
Because I certainly believe it's not what it should be
I also belive many a title or trophy is won when a less than perfect team is bolstered by determination, motivation & belief

I think this team has, on occasion, shown plenty determination, motivation and belief - games early in the season when reduced to 10 and even 9 men bear witness to that. As does 29 Dec. Too little and not often enough? Probably.

Right now, I think we've run out of steam - physically and mentally. The loss at Kilmarnock first game after the break was a killer. I'm sure very one of them went into in believing we could catch the Dhims and came out of it knowing the chance was gone. Throw in the fact that we have guys playing 50+ matches this season when they haven't played that many in the previous two years and I think your part-way to our rather pathetic recent efforts.

True on the former.

I think that’s where we should be looking drg. The silks are a given there. The one very saleable asset we have and the player that is obviously the manager’s favourite is a South American. Why are we not scouting there? Can South Americans only cut it in this backwater if they come via Finland? The thinking seems muddled.

He was never in our price range but here's another Argie who looks like he'll be heading to Europe (Ajax). If you get in early enough there is an abundance of talent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matías_Vargas_(footballer,_born_1997)

You've been around long enough to know that this notion that there are people out there wanting to put millions in is nonsense. It might happen one day - when we have finally stabilised the Club. That means an end to the Ashley onerous contract, an end to the soft loans and a Club standing on its own two feet. All that seems some way off to me right now.

Until then, its Dave King and whatever allies he can muster up - plus we fans. There is not going to be a pot of gold. We need to manage our way out of this by year-on-year improvement. That is not going to come by ripping it up and starting anew every damned Summer. This season is the first since we returned to the top league that I've actually felt there were signs of actually getting somewhere. Ultimately its going to end in disappointment. However, we got a monkey off our backs on 29 Dec, we restored some Europe-wide pride - and garnered some much needed funding - via our EL run. Now we need to win a trophy, any trophy.

Gerrard has to be given time. He's making the right 'noises' about 'quality' and 'marquee signings', lets see if he can deliver - or is allowed to deliver. Change some of those bloody draws to even single-goal victories and the picture is a lot different.

VB, i cant disagree with any of the above, to us these days significant investment is 20 million, if not investment then you sell your assets, that's the way it has to be.

I also cannot agree more that Gerrard should be given more time in the role however another season with no silverware and his position will be untenable.

I'd imagine the investment sources within are pretty near tapped out. Why would external investment come in when the club is not allowed to compete, is the whipping boy for society's ills and the local management are too afraid to stand up to it?
Dave King's negligence in this is will costing us and it'll get worse. I cannot fathom it, we cannot succeed under these conditions.

Our lack of attack against the enemies of our club has gone on for far too long and it's not a new problem, the time for dignified silence ended long ago, our PR department must have missed that memo.

IMO, it isn't a quest of adding 1 or 2 'quality players' or even 3 or 4. I believe that from a purely technical perspective, the current Rangers squad is on balance far better than the rest of the SPL, with the obvious exception of the yahoos. However, our problem IMO, stems from the fact whilst Rangers might have better technical footballers than the rest, we aren't quite good enough to be able to overcome the tactics of packed defenses and extreme physicality that other teams deliberately employ against us.

We could also add to this shortcoming a certain lack of character - some call it mental toughness - a lack of big personalities who can provide on-field motivation for the 'quieter, more introspective'
players. If I were in charge of recruitment, I'd be looking for players of this ilk, players who in addition to having talent, can bring some much needed steel and aggression to a team sorely lacking in both.

Look at the difference dembele and Sinclair made to the scum in Rogers 1st season. As much as I hate comparisons with them it's true. Quality over quantity in the summer imo

W

Loans have in the main been disastrous wastes of time and money , and also strangle young players trying to break through .

As ever on FF, the swings are wild.

For me, those suggesting 1 or 2 new starters are as wrong as those suggesting 7.

I'd agree with 4 new starters of a sufficient step up in quality, pretty much wholly in attacking roles, to have us competing.

In terms of improvement I’d probably rather see us got for 3-4 best quality players this year, and then another 3-4 the following.
OK, it might mean we don’t quite win the league next year, but the year after we should be right on it.
Spreading the budget over another 10 mediocre players is going to get us nowhere ever.

Loans have in the main been disastrous wastes of time and money , and also strangle young players trying to break through .
How many ‘successful’ loans have we ever had? I can only think of Davis first time round, Diouf, maybe. Kyrgiakos.
After that I’m struggling.

As ever on FF, the swings are wild.

For me, those suggesting 1 or 2 new starters are as wrong as those suggesting 7.

I'd agree with 4 new starters of a sufficient step up in quality, pretty much wholly in attacking roles, to have us competing.

If I was to guess, I’d say we might stretch to 2 or 3 - 2 if Alfie stays, 3 if he leaves.

I think Kent’s loss will be plugged by Jones’ arrival and Murphy’s return and Katic should really step up for Worrall now with another loan brought in to complete the centre back four.

So we’ll get a no.10 type, a more potent attacker to replace Candeias, and if Morelos leaves, another striker too, but I could see that being it as far as ‘quality’ goes, although I think the term might be open to interpretation.

What 7 in the first team do you think should go?

Who said current members need to “ go” ?

They will possibly be sold yes but can also be kept in the squad we need 18 good players not 11.

If you are asking me who I feel isn’t good enough for a title winning first 11 I’m quicker telling you who is .

Mcgregor
Tav
Goldson
Kamara
Morelos

There’s no reason why the likes of katic , Jack, arfield , Mcrorie , possibly Barasic and grezda , can’t be part of a squad though.

Given that there’s a high chance Morelos is also leaving it doesn’t leave us far off my prediction of seven first team quality players required .

The fact is 4, if not 5, loanees will depart. That’s your start point - before we even start thinking about deadwood or those unable to handle the task at hand.

It won’t be as dramatic a turnover as last Summer - but I’d expect 7-10 new arrivals.

Put Ian Ferguson or Jorg Albertz in that team and we're top of the league, if not challenging in a close title race.

Also remember we have been without Murphy & Dorrans all season. The only other player that covers that position is Arfield and he's been in and out all season. It has showed big time when he's been out, including Saturday.

Defence is settled really with the right cover.

Need better striker cover than Lafferty and a leader in the middle.

So yes, we are one or two away.

There's a strong argument we already have a leader in the making within our squad who has been used sparingly during his development.

Put Ian Ferguson or Jorg Albertz in that team and we're top of the league, if not challenging in a close title race.

Also remember we have been without Murphy & Dorrans all season. The only other player that covers that position is Arfield and he's been in and out all season. It has showed big time when he's been out, including Saturday.

Defence is settled really with the right cover.

Need better striker cover than Lafferty and a leader in the middle.

So yes, we are one or two away.

There's a strong argument we already have a leader in the making within our squad who has been used sparingly during his development.

Been growing arms and legs on here.

"Actually great squad, just need some quality on top, a few class acts and we'll be title contenders".

That's not true is it? Be honest...let's cut the crap. However we can't rebuild every summer AND don't have the money to do so. Catch 22. We are biggest team in the UK IMHO but we can't fulfill our ambition using cash. We can't buy the title. So how do we use cunning, guile, and every advantage we can gain to close the gap?

Huge summer for board, manager, coaches and scouts etc.

This won't last...full houses, hope, and passion. Rangers FC isn't second best. It won't adapt to it either.
For me and many others, yes it is true, not crap.
Our football club, its players, coaches and facilities are ten times better than it was 8 months ago. If some people cannot or refuse to acknowledge that then they are the problem ones and should maybe step back from commenting their nonsense. We are well set up now in every department for to enable us to take the next step into success on the park. Yes, we are just one step away from going head-to-head for all trophies and yes 3-4 quality additions / swap-outs will see us take that step. Those quality additions will ensure that the numerous draws, where we have totally dominated, will result in 3 points instead of one which would cut the gap or even surpass the tramps. I can't recall many games whereby we've been lucky to draw or been well beaten this season in the league whereas last season we were not confident of a victory against ANY team in the league!!!

I don't understand why people keep assuming Defoe, Davis and Kent will leave? Davis and Defoe are already contracted to be here for next season and the club have confirmed we are trying to sign Kent permanently. If he doesn't sign permanent I'd wager we'll have him for another year on loan.

Worrall is the only first pick for us currently who definitely won't be here next season.

I’d argue;

————————McGregor————————

-Tav———Goldson———-Katic——-Borna-

———————McCrorie/Jack——————

—————Kamara/Arfield——New—————

-New———————————————-New-

————————-Morelos————————

That’s 3, but they have to be top quality. We need 30 goals a season from those 3 players.

You could argue Kent, but I need more goals/assists.

I don't understand why people keep assuming Defoe, Davis and Kent will leave? Davis and Defoe are already contracted to be here for next season and the club have confirmed we are trying to sign Kent permanently. If he doesn't sign permanent I'd wager we'll have him for another year on loan.

Worrall is the only first pick for us currently who definitely won't be here next season.

Unless I’ve missed it, Davis isn’t signed up for next season. Do we want him? First signs on Saturday that he might be worth it but the jury’s definitely out.

Defoe has a break clause this Summer. Will he stay if he’s not getting games? Has he been promised games next season? Who knows?

We might get an extended loan in Kent. I’d have to say though, talented player but we need more end product from him. I’d be wary of spending big bucks on him. Loan, maybe.

Worrall and Coulibaly will go, as will McAuley. They might not be starters but the two centre backs, as a minimum, will need replaced in the squad.

Then there’s the Barisic, Grezda conundrum. And whether to cash in on Morelos and Tav.

7 new arrivals - easily.

People thinking we can afford a complete overhaul every single season are deluding themselves.

If we get 2-3 class players in we'll be in a hell of a better place than this season.

Back