Finally we can nail the myth of 'we just one or two' added

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Been growing arms and legs on here.

"Actually great squad, just need some quality on top, a few class acts and we'll be title contenders".

That's not true is it? Be honest...let's cut the crap. However we can't rebuild every summer AND don't have the money to do so. Catch 22. We are biggest team in the UK IMHO but we can't fulfill our ambition using cash. We can't buy the title. So how do we use cunning, guile, and every advantage we can gain to close the gap?

Huge summer for board, manager, coaches and scouts etc.

This won't last...full houses, hope, and passion. Rangers FC isn't second best. It won't adapt to it either.

It’s even more alarming that the manager believes we don’t need fairly substantial surgery (not as substational as last year). We are easy 8-10 players short when you consider the outgoings, either forced or potential sales like Morelos. That’s before you consider the strain of 65+ games again next season.

We have failed. Completely failed.

You say that, but Gerrard himself alluded to there not being a huge turnover of players this summer in his press conference yesterday.

Worrying.

If everybody stays then for our starting 11 I think we need 3 players.

I appreciate what everyone is saying about wholesale changes but we need a quality mid and two inside forwards if we are to stick with this formation. The main problem we have is scoring goals (not creating enough chances against the low block). Get better quality in those areas and we can cover the odd slip in defence.

Last edited:
Im not saying you're wrong but maybe adding the right kind of players with both quality and mental steel could lift the rest of the squad?

This might be what we need to do for financial reasons.

There could be merit to that if we get the right players in who will demand more on the pitch, as well as providing more.

Like any business we're greatly dependant on making the right hires.

You say that, but Gerrard himself alluded to there not being a huge turnover of players this summer in his press conference yesterday.

Worrying.

no what he said was it would not be the same as last summer.

when asked if thought 5 new players this summer would be enough he replied it could be more than that.

no what he said was it would not be the same as last summer.

when asked if thought 5 new players this summer would be enough he replied it could be more than that.

Well my point is I think we need a rebuild on the scale of last summer to be anywhere near competitive for honours.

A few additions round the edges of the poor core we have now isn’t going to cut it.

Worrying.

You can take what Gerrard says anyway you like but the fact is we have Worrall, Coulibaly, Davis, Defoe and Kent - who will probably not be here beyond the Summer. There’s your starter for 5 right there. Then we get to Morelos and maybe Tav.

Last edited:
If everybody stays then for our starting 11 I think we need 3 players.

I appreciate what everyone is saying about wholesale changes but we need a quality mid and two inside forwards if we are to stick with this formation. The main problem we have is scoring goals (not creating enough chances against the low block). Get better quality in those areas and we can cover the odd slip in defence.
And how does that go if Morelos is for the off? The over reliance on him is scary. That mob have done without the best finisher in Scotland thus season. Gerrards problem is simply no goals o the pitch out with Morelos. I'm not saying Griffiths is a better player than Morelos but he is a better finisher

You can take what Gerrard says anyway you like but the fact is we have Worrall, Coulibaly, Davis, Defoe and Kent - who will probably not be here behind the Summer. There’s your starter for 5 right there.

Possibly Morelos and Tavernier, our two players who will command a decent fee.

Players out of contract, players surplus to requirements.

Gerrard knows most of these players aren't good enough.

I think we will see around ten new players (including loans) arrive before the start of next season.

This season domestically has been absolutely shambolic, we are a mile short of being a good side, not a popular opinion but rebuilding isn’t a pleasant thought with Gerrard at the helm.

He doesn’t have what it takes.

And how does that go if Morelos is for the off? The over reliance on him is scary. That mob have done without the best finisher in Scotland thus season. Gerrards problem is simply no goals o the pitch out with Morelos. I'm not saying Griffiths is a better player than Morelos but he is a better finisher

Then we need 4.

Last Summer the scouting team had a striker lined up who they thought could do the job Morelos is now doing. It's their job to get this player (or omeone else) if Morelos leaves.

I genuinely believe that we are only two or three quality players away. Look back at any Rangers title winning team/ squad and we have always had some bang average players in every squad and in the starting line up most weeks. You don't need 11 superstars. I'd take McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Morelos and Kent in my starting line up any day of the week. There are plenty others in that squad who I would have no problem making up 2 or 3 of the other starting places in any given week. But we definitely need two or three quality players to round out the team.

McGregor
Tav. Goldson(just) new. New
New. New new
New. Morelos(if not sold) new

7 first team regulars, 8 If Morelos is sold.

Some won’t agree but jack and arfield aren’t consistent enough for us to play regular.

Hopefully Murphy can fill that wide left role, although Kent is a exciting player I would bet my last dollar Murphy would have more that 5 goals and 6 assists if he was a regular.

Then we need 4.

Last Summer the scouting team had a striker lined up who they thought could do the job Morelos is now doing. It's their job to get this player (or omeone else) if Morelos leaves.
It took 10 years to find a gem like Morelos. They aren't hiding under every rock. The guy is outstanding and should be feted for however long he plays for Rangers. Couldn't care if he picks up cards. He has carri3d this side thus season

no sure signing 15 new players every summer is going to achieve any consistency

It’s not. But persisting with the core of players who have demonstrated they aren’t good enough might be consistently bang average, but no use to us in the grand scheme of things.

It took 10 years to find a gem like Morelos. They aren't hiding under every rock. The guy is outstanding and should be feted for however long he plays for Rangers. Couldn't care if he picks up cards. He has carri3d this side thus season

Will we find as good as Morelos? Maybe not. Could we find a better collective front 3 who could score more goals than the current 3? Yes.

Until now we've never had a scouting department of any note so it is no surprise that we rarely found any gems.

Will we find as good as Morelos? Maybe not. Could we find a better collective front 3 who could score more goals than the current 3? Yes.

Until now we've never had a scouting department of any note so it is no surprise that we rarely found any gems.

We also have to remember that Morelos is now potentially a £15m striker. We can’t replace him like-for-like barring a miracle. We will probably need to do both: sign proven quality and take similar gambles.

It’s even more alarming that the manager believes we don’t need fairly substantial surgery (not as substational as last year). We are easy 8-10 players short when you consider the outgoings, either forced or potential sales like Morelos. That’s before you consider the strain of 65+ games again next season.

We have failed. Completely failed.
We have a large squad but it lacks any real quality

if we are "ending myths"
the line "we can't keep changing managers every........"
Nothing will make McCoist, Warburton, et al successful football mangers at the level we demand, not time not money.
as long as we have the wrong manager or wrong players we will be changing every .........;.

We also have to remember that Morelos is now potentially a £15m striker. We can’t replace him like-for-like barring a miracle. We will probably need to do both: sign proven quality and take similar gambles.

The coaching staff have decide what our style of play is. If it is 433 then we need a front three who can all score goals. If we get more from whoever replaces Kent and Candeias (imo) then this should compensate if we don't get as much from our replacement for Morelos (if required).

You can wow all you want. The fact you’re not actually deciding to challenge the point with any sort of reasonable counter is telling.

We’ve still got plenty to go to challenge for a title, but not so much that we need to rip it all up once again. Not to mention the reality that that’s not feasible anyways.

Gerrard knows most of these players aren't good enough.

I think we will see around ten new players (including loans) arrive before the start of next season.

I also suspect this.

Mind, I've been saying for the last few seasons that the ENTIRE squad needs to be gutted almost comprehensively.
There is an element of weakness and/or lack of drive with those players, that has stretched back in some cases over four managers.

I'm not entirely enamoured with the names of those that we've got lined up to come in this summer.

We need first team starters.
We need players with a winning mentality, and guys hungry enough to play themselves into the ground in games.

For a while now it's not been a matter of how many do we need to add.
It's been how many can we afford to retain ?

You can wow all you want. The fact you’re not actually deciding to challenge the point with any sort of reasonable counter is telling.

We’ve still got plenty to go to challenge for a title, but not so much that we need to rip it all up once again. Not to mention the reality that that’s not feasible anyways.
Where do you want to start? I'll happily go toe to toe.

We have 2 or 3 players in squad who could realistically be imagined holding aloft a league trophy. That's it. You're in fantasy land.

Some folk just cannot, absolutely cannot, bear to hear anything negative/the reality about us and our situation. History has taught them nothing.

We had people talk of a title challenge at this point last season ffs!
Still have way too many believing we tweak squad slightly, defeat the refs, and then attack the Tims and romp to title.

Still have way too many believing we tweak squad slightly, defeat the refs, and then attack the Tims and romp to title.
Our Championship side needed a few tweaks to win the league.
Pedro would have done it if not for John Beaton.
We just need two players and Gerrard will do it next season.
If it wasn’t for the refs...

I’ve read it all on here the past few years. The type of shit you’d hear the mentally challengeds spout on phone ins during the 90s as you pissed yourself laughing.

Where do you want to start? I'll happily go toe to toe.

We have 2 or 3 players in squad who could realistically be imagined holding aloft a league trophy. That's it. You're in fantasy land.

So we have 3 players. I’m suggesting adding 4 of a similar quality. No Rangers team in my lifetime has had 11 exceptional players, 7/8 has typically been enough to win us titles, assuming the supporting cast are competent. Our title rivals certainly don’t have 11 exceptional players, but their core 7/8 have enough quality when it matters.

Making the assumption that your 3 are Tav, Morelos and McGregor. That then leaves us needing a better standard of winger who will score goals, a midfielder who can unlock defences and score goals, a better left back and a ball playing centre back.

Arfield, Kamara, McCrorie, Jack, Candeias, Goldson & Katic are all of a competent level to supplement that. Jury is out on Grezda and I suspect the likes of Barisic will move back to Croatia.

The only people that are living in fantasy land are those thinking we’ll sign 8/9/10 new players of a higher standard. There is no reality where that’s going to happen.

Back