Find it Strange That we're being linked strongly with players for next season, when no manager

Hoogsy66

That were being linked strongly with players for next season, when next seasons manager hasn’t been named.

Surely we’ve got something in place, and not going down the road of a Director of Football bringing in players and expecting a manager to make a team out of them.

Or worryingly were sticking with Murty !

Surely any new manager worth his salt would rather bring in his own signings ?

That were being linked strongly with players for next season, when next seasons manager hasn’t been named.

Surely we’ve got something in place, and not going down the road of a Director of Football bringing in players and expecting a manager to make a team out of them.

No chance of that happening mate don't worry.......

I think a lot of Scottish football fans struggle to understand this idea of having a Director of Football. Certainly on FF, the idea still seems completely alien to some.

It’s common in more advanced countries football-wise for a DOF or transfer committee to buy a set of players with or without a manager.

Other than the strong rumours of Arfield, who are we really linked with?

In any case none of the links come from the Club. It’s all from the media who are getting nothing from the Club

I have still to be completely convinced by the DOF role & the money spent on it - particularly where player recruitment is concerned.

It's been reported that the "head coach" will ask for say, a left back & the DOF will present some options for consideration, probably sourced via the scouting system, so basically we are being asked to trust the judgement of the DOF.

Why is that different to trusting the judgement on players of a hands on "manager", who would also be presented with options sourced via the scouting system?

I appreciate the DOF will have a wider remit within the club, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will be restricting ourselves in the manager search as there will be managers out there who will simply refuse to work with/under a DOF.

I think the bigger concern is that we are forcing the arm potentially of the next man with regard to the system we play. Against good teams this 4231 option doesn’t work defensively with the players we have, and we struggle to break down stodgy teams with it.

I have still to be completely convinced by the DOF role & the money spent on it - particularly where player recruitment is concerned.

It's been reported that the "head coach" will ask for say, a left back & the DOF will present some options for consideration, probably sourced via the scouting system, so basically we are being asked to trust the judgement of the DOF.

Why is that different to trusting the judgement on players of a hands on "manager", who would also be presented with options sourced via the scouting system?

I appreciate the DOF will have a wider remit within the club, but there is no doubt in my mind that we will be restricting ourselves in the manager search as there will be managers out there who will simply refuse to work with/under a DOF.
Pretty much every club in Europe employs this setup but you’re not convinced ?

I think a lot of Scottish football fans struggle to understand this idea of having a Director of Football. Certainly on FF, the idea still seems completely alien to some.

It’s common in more advanced countries football-wise for a DOF or transfer committee to buy a set of players with or without a manager.
Rubbish no Descent Manager would work under them conditions

I think the bigger concern is that we are forcing the arm potentially of the next man with regard to the system we play. Against good teams this 4231 option doesn’t work defensively with the players we have, and we struggle to break down stodgy teams with it.
I would hope that we are getting a good enough manager that can work with a squad of players and adapt formations and tactics to suit them

Different clubs will have their own take on Sporting Director/Dof and Manager. The fact remains that if the DoF has the casting vote on player recruitment, it often ends in tears.

as I understand a DOF role is the manager tells the DOF we need a centre half the DOF then compiles a list of centre halfs going on most suitable, affordable and availability and goes and gets the manager a centre half, in our situation just now the DOF must press on with the absence of a manager as we do not have time to be waiting until summer before starting to look at what we need.

I'd flip it the other way round and say that players who we're trying to entice when they have other good offers will surely want to know who the gaffer will be.

Not sure McArthur and Arfield would be in talks if we were after Derek Adams.

*crosses fingers*

It's quite simply the DoF role.

We will be looking at targets right now.

However, there should, in an ideal world, be input from a top manager / coach telling the DoF the type of role he needs filled in the team.

We really, really need to get the manager position dealt with as an absolute priority as Murty is now completely done in the eyes of every bear I know

The signings in January (apart from Martin) were from the DOF and not Murty.

Nothing strange about it.

I worry we are getting it wrong again. DOF should be getting players after discussing with manager what we need. He shouldn’t be doing this on his own.

How do you know he's not been doing that? The board might surprise us all and already have a manager in place but for unknown reasons cannot announce it.

Just because it seems unlikely doesn't mean it's not possible.

We can’t pass up opportunities to sign good quality players like Arfield, we have to be quick to secure these sorts of players and anyway it’s the D.O.Fs job. What would folk be thinking if we waited until the new guy is in and we missed out on certain players?

For what it’s worth I think we may well have a new manager agreed already but are waiting until the end of the season to announce it. Who and why that may be is another question.

At the moment I'm not paying much attention to any of the players linked.

The manager position is the most important at the football club and the board simply has to deliver us someone experienced who will go toe to toe with Rodgers.

It’s not strange at all given that it’s the media and fans who are linking the Club with players and, as we know only too well, neither have a bloody clue what’s going on!!

This system works on the continent where the club president andDOF Buy and sell the players.
However the president usually stands for re-election every 2 years, so getting it right is crucial for him.
If our DOF buys a set of players for our manager , and it all goes wrong, who pays the penalty? It surely can’t be the manager. But the DOF is in place to ensure continuity according to FF. So the guy has zero accountability? What a job. Most English clubs have yet to adopt this method, and some have indeed scrapped it.
It also limits our ability to attract certain managers. Some will not work under a DOF.
I listened to an interview with Jurgen Klopp, who stated that he insisted Liverpool appoint a DOF. His remit was to handle negotiations for players that Klopp identified.
Seems to be rather at odds with the intelligentsia on here.

I dunno why people find it such a difficult concept.

Pep, Poch, Klopp and Conte all work under a Dof/Technical Director structure and seem to manage fairly well. Indeed more than half the clubs in the EPL - and most on the continent - work this way.

Any new Manager joining any club is going to inherit players signed by the previous Managers/DoFs. They don't simply immediately discard them, they, in most case, coach them to their methods and integrate them into the setup they want to play. The team then evolves over the Manager's - generally short - tenure.

Of course, they have a say in any players signed AFTER they take up position.

As for the players, they don't give a damn. Average tenure for a Manager in the EPL is around 18 months I think (in recent times the average at Ibrox is probably similar:eek:). No player expects to play for the same manager throughout his tenure at a club. They join for the money and/or prestige. Nothing more. Alexis Sanchez desperately wanted to play for Pep but when Mourinho came calling he signed for a Man Utd team totally unsuited to how he plays. Why? Money!

Last edited:
Well yes, that's exactly what the DoF will be doing.

I'd like to put it out there that if this is a case of DOF doing his job and the new manager has had no say that it will not work.

Crazy notion from the club crazy.

Amazing how some people still don't grasp how a DoF structure works

I think most people understand it , they just don’t agree with it.
To those that “understand”, who gets sacked if it all goes wrong?
Personally, I wouldn’t work under a DOF who has the freedom that FFers want to give him.
I’d want to hire players totally of my choosing, with by all means someone doing the contract negotiations.

We can’t pass up opportunities to sign good quality players like Arfield, we have to be quick to secure these sorts of players and anyway it’s the D.O.Fs job. What would folk be thinking if we waited until the new guy is in and we missed out on certain players?

For what it’s worth I think we may well have a new manager agreed already but are waiting until the end of the season to announce it. Who and why that may be is another question.

I still think it'll be Graeme Murty as head coach but with better players.

I worry we are getting it wrong again. DOF should be getting players after discussing with manager what we need. He shouldn’t be doing this on his own.
He's not doing it on his own. There is a squad profile based on the style of football Rangers want to play. A few informed opinions will go into maintaining the squad profile, and data collected on performances, injuries and player profiles will go into this as well. Recruitment decisions can then be taken based on the best opinions backed up with data analysis. This strategy helps ensure continuity isn't solely dependent on who manages Rangers at the time.

Crazy our board have decided that a proper manager is the bottom of their list.

Dof is a waste of our time in terms of stopping 10.
The dof was not appointed to stop ten in a row.this is about the future of rangers football club,that’s why apart from identifying and signing players for the first team,Mark Allen has put in place a scouting network as well as bringing people like Kevin Thompson,Gregory Vignal,lovenkrands in for coaching the youth teams.in fact its highly likely that its mark Allen who has drawn up the list of possible managers and in all likelihood Dave King will go with what he recommends

I think most people understand it , they just don’t agree with it.
To those that “understand”, who gets sacked if it all goes wrong?
Personally, I wouldn’t work under a DOF who has the freedom that FFers want to give him.
I’d want to hire players totally of my choosing, with by all means someone doing the contract negotiations.

Ultimately its the Manager's decision who gets signed; that has been well-documented by Rangers and by Mark Allen.

Getting to the point where a decision has to be taken is a 'group effort' based upon the profile of player the Club wants to recruit (@mart22 explains it well above). That provides a short-list which will, inevitably, include any names the Manager throws into the hat. The DoF works on those options and comes back with what is 'do-able'. The Manager makes the call on what his preferences are.

So, in answer to your question, the ultimate decision of who we sign - finances permitting - lies with the Manager. The Manager therefore, rightly, carries the can. As I've said earlier, if it works for some of the top Managers in the game why on earth shouldn't it work at Ibrox?

Crazy our board have decided that a proper manager is the bottom of their list.

Dof is a waste of our time in terms of stopping 10.

I'd argue not having one is a waste of our time in terms of winning the league again. We've already seen the dangers of letting a manager have full control over recruitment. Warburton comes in, signs championship quality players and duds. He gets sacked, we ship out his duds at expense to us (some are still here). Pedro comes in, signs more duds. He gets sacked, now we need to shift his players.

Having a more unified approach involving the scouting team and DoF allows for continuity. I'm not saying it's flawless or without risk, but if it's good for some of the biggest clubs in the world then it's good enough for me.

We signed a DOF, made a big deal about how it means we can change structure without too much damage, and this has been spoke about since Allan came in. Thats the point in him.

I think certain signings are a no brainer, like Arfield on a precontract...

It is genuinely mind blowing that you can come onto a football forum and say that completely seriously.

You do realise that football exists outside of Scotland, yes?
The amount of people who can’t get their heads around the fact that the dof signs the players and then it’s up to the manager/first team coach to mould them into a team.the days of a manager signing and selling players have been made redundant with the appointment of the dof.

Back