Euro 2020 Finland v Russia 2pm BBC

Yes, Finland may play a weaker Belgian team in the last game and could still get through I think.

Northern Ireland and Portugal got through with 3 points and goal difference of 0 last time.

So you’re almost always better drawing all 3 than winning one and losing two, where you’ll probably end up with a negative goal difference.

Basically I think Scotland need to get a point on Friday. Even if we beat Croatia, its not going to be enough I wouldn’t have thought. Unless it’s like 5-0

Does anyone know how the whole group standings thing works?

For example - Russia and Finland are now tied on three points each. My understanding is that Russia will take provisional 2nd place based on the head to head. Is that correct?

If so, let's assume that the two teams were tied for 3rd/4th place. Russia would take 3rd based on the head to head, but may fail to qualify for the last 16 based on their goal difference (-2). Finland, who have finished 4th, have a goal difference of 0.

So you could end up in a position where the 3rd place team in a group has a worse record than the 4th placed team, which results in both teams missing out on the last 16? Despite the 4th placed team having a better record than 3rd place and than other 3rd placed teams.

Surely that can't be right?

Finland are well organised, a great keeper but lack much technical ability, besides Kamara and Pukki there's very little quality in that team. The bald midfielder who came on in the 2nd half wouldn't look out of place playing for Motherwell. They'll still finish with more points than Scotland and could still advance.

The Czechs, Sweden and Finland have shown what good organisation can do for you, then you look at Clarke's idea of it and it's putting 5 defenders out there and leaving your more talented players on the bench hoping it will keep the score down.

For example - Russia and Finland are now tied on three points each. My understanding is that Russia will take provisional 2nd place based on the head to head. Is that correct?

If so, let's assume that the two teams were tied for 3rd/4th place. Russia would take 3rd based on the head to head, but may fail to qualify for the last 16 based on their goal difference (-2). Finland, who have finished 4th, have a goal difference of 0.

So you could end up in a position where the 3rd place team in a group has a worse record than the 4th placed team, which results in both teams missing out on the last 16?

giphy.gif

So you could end up in a position where the 3rd place team in a group has a worse record than the 4th placed team, which results in both teams missing out on the last 16? Despite the 4th placed team having a better record than 3rd place and than other 3rd placed teams.

Rules for classification of 3rd placed teams:

1) Points; 2) Goal difference; 3) Goals scored; 4) Wins; 5) Lower disciplinary points total; 6) European Qualifiers overall ranking.

So is it head to head which separates the teams on equal points?

What happens if 3 teams finish on the same points and have all beat each other?

1. Number of points gained in matches
played among the teams level on points

2. Goal difference in matches played among the teams level on points

3. Goals scored in matches played among the teams level on points

4. If criteria 1 to 3 fail to separate some but not all of the countries level on points, they are reapplied exclusively to the teams who still have an equal ranking

Overall group record

5. Goal difference in all group matches

6. Goals scored in all group matches

7. Penalty shoot-out (but only in specific circumstances - see below)

8. Number of wins in all group matches

Fair-play record
9. Lowest number of disciplinary points accrued during group stage (three points per straight red card; three points per sending-off for two yellow cards; and one point per yellow card)

Qualifying record
10. Position in overall rankings in qualifying for Euro 2020

When penalties will be used as a group-stage tiebreaker
If two teams finish level on points, goals scored and goals conceded after facing each other in a drawn final group match, a penalty shoot-out will be used to decide which country finishes higher.

If more than two teams are involved in a points tie, penalties cannot be used.

Not sure if you’re just throwing out a random unrealistic score line or if would actually have to be by 6 goals ?
Just a guess of what it would take to end up on 3pts and close to 0 on GD. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect an England 3-0 win on Friday which would leave them on 0pts -5 GD.

Just a guess of what it would take to end up on 3pts and close to 0 on GD. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect an England 3-0 win on Friday which would leave them on 0pts -5 GD.

We’ll see.

I don’t think England will win by that much. For all the fawning platitudes over their Croatia win, they seldom win games by more than a single goal.

I don’t think it matters whether it’s 1-0 or 3-0 anyway. It’s clear Scotland need at least a point to keep it alive going into that Croatia game. I don’t think 3 points and a negative goal difference is going to get the job done, we need 4 points

We’ll see.

I don’t think England will win by that much. For all the fawning platitudes over their Croatia win, they seldom win games by more than a single goal.

I don’t think it matters whether it’s 1-0 or 3-0 anyway. It’s clear Scotland need at least a point to keep it alive going into that Croatia game. I don’t think 3 points and a negative goal difference is going to get the job done, we need 4 points
The England game was actually incredibly boring, probably one of the dullest so far. The stats on the game prove this, so it is weird when the pundits slag -off other matches which were in fact far more exciting.

The England game was actually incredibly boring, probably one of the dullest so far. The stats on the game prove this, so it is weird when the pundits slag -off other matches which were in fact far more exciting.

I certainly feel like I watched a different match to the one some of the pundits have been talking up.

We’ll see.

I honestly think England will take four off Scotland.
I hope not, but I have no faith in Clarke to organise Scotland tactically for a game at Wembley.

I honestly think England will take four off Scotland.
I hope not, but I have no faith in Clarke to organise Scotland tactically for a game at Wembley.

It’s obviously in vogue to slaughter Clarke, understandably after that team he picked on Monday.

But honestly everything we know about this man and his teams makes me more...not confident, but hopeful, of getting a backs to the wall result away to England.

We get a draw and live to fight another day in the group. But where id have no faith is a home game against Croatia where we’d need to be on the front foot. It’s clear Clarke much prefers the sort of test Scotland will face on Friday

It’s obviously in vogue to slaughter Clarke, understandably after that team he picked on Monday.

But honestly everything we know about this man and his teams makes me more...not confident, but hopeful, of getting a backs to the wall result away to England.

We get a draw and live to fight another day in the group. But where id have no faith is a home game against Croatia where we’d need to be on the front foot. It’s clear Clarke much prefers the sort of test Scotland will face on Friday
If only we were at home on a plastic pitch with a hand-picked SFA referee, then I would be more confident. :cool:

Back