Firpark memories

My one and only trip there was in 2016 for the League Cup group game we won 2 nil. I drove up from Hampshire in the morning and drove straight back after the game (never again). Was in the upper tier and not much space between shins and seat in front!

I was at the riot game too. Quite sure it had an influence on the result. Motherwell had a decent team in the mid 70s.
Another memory is the Graham Roberts thunderbolt. The game was scheduled for the previous Saturday and our bus was in the queue to get off the M74 when it was called off. For the midweek game there was heavy traffic to get off the motorway and the delay caused us to miss the goal.

Loads. Prso 2-0 and the game towards the end of the last trio of titles we smashed them 4 nil (IIRC) and phoning the Pink Turban from the stadium booking tables for the supporters bus. Versus Gretna too, which is a strange one.

I saw my first ever football match at Fir Park.
The game in question was a testimonial for Motherwell player Charlie Aitken against Rangers on 24 May 1967.

I was at the riot game too. Quite sure it had an influence on the result. Motherwell had a decent team in the mid 70s.
Another memory is the Graham Roberts thunderbolt. The game was scheduled for the previous Saturday and our bus was in the queue to get off the M74 when it was called off. For the midweek game there was heavy traffic to get off the motorway and the delay caused us to miss the goal.
I'm sure Robbo scored from the M74 slip road that night!
Frozen pitch too.

Grew up around the corner, and as a kid joined the claret and amber club purely to get cheap tickets for the 2 Rangers games, much to the annoyance of my Motherwell supporting mates.

Their fans have never had much love for either us or Them, but their dislike for us in particular has been taken to a whole new level in recent years.

Favourite moment? How about Graham Roberts thunderbolt that unfortunately wasn't captured by TV cameras.
Just got in to the stadium as he hit it , but the crowd was huge that night managed to pop up as it hit the net ,then everyone went mental.

Late eighties think maybe just after the 5-1 game against them, absolutely chucking it down force 10 Gale smack in the kisser behind the left hand goal as you look on tv, in those days open terracing.
Only ever left 2 games early and that is one, 70 mins called it a day, think we won maybe Walters scoring.

Went to see us win the league in 1991.

Stood behind the goal and watched us lose 3-0 meaning we had to beat Aberdeen the week after.
Was there and remember it. Walked past Ian Skellys after the game and not one window was intact in any of the cars on the forecourt

Are you me :) that is exactly The same as what happened to me
I’m on the telly at the pitch invasion Game bring a young 11 year old I’m down the front of the covered enclosure about the 18 yard line in the side of thd enclosure that never invaded the pitch

That midweek game in Motherwell where Roberts scored was one of the coldest I’ve ever been at a game

Back when they had the terracing , always remember being a nightmare when it was raining as the slopes by the floodlights were a mud bath & trying to not slip / slide down

Remember going straight from the game when it finished one time & walking to Strathclyde park as there was a dance event / alldayer on

Davie Cooper ripping us apart and them scudding us forcing a winner takes all final game of the season v Aberdeen

In the early 70s , standing right at the front behind the goal, with my snorkel parka on, the ball goes out for a rangers corner, and it bounces towards me, I grab it, and Colin stein runs over to me and says, gies the ball son, I handed it to him, %^*& me Colin stein asked me for the ball !!! He was then ,and still is my favourite ever rangers player, named my son after him , Colin stein was the best player in the world at that time, to me. 9 years of age, will never forget it.

Fir park used to be a great trip, big Rangers support & Motherwell had some decent teams and could give us a game there..
Lots of good memories but a few bad one's as well.
The 3-0 defeat in Jan 83, on the back of a 2-1 defeat by them at Ibrox, was a horrible time in the early 80's, IIRC Mr Wallace was Motherwell manager that day.

If I remember right, Brian McClair got all 3 Motherwell goals that day we lost 3-0

Remember this game

we absolutely bossed them this day

Not sure what Motherwell we will face tomorrow... Will they try and play a bit? Will they park the proverbial bus? Will they copy Hibs and try the physical tactics? Pointing out the obvious... this will hugely determine how we play in my opinion. Here's hoping we will be flying after our fabulous 4 nil win away from home on Thursday

Had some great days there. When we beat them just after the royal wedding think it was William and Kate on the run in to the tittle we where superb that daily.

Every time I go to fir park I always think how suicidal the poets must of been feeling leaving the ground that day Helicopter Sunday. (Not meaning to derail a thread about us to them but that always made me smile thinking of that)

I live in Hamilton just along the dual carriageway from the aforementioned M74 turn off. Anyways Fine Fare had opened a new store and laid on a free bus to poach customers from Hamilton. So that was my transport there sorted at full time gab down Authors Road past all the stationary cars caught by plod pissing off the bears by allowing vehicles from the town centre more flow at the lights at Strathclyde Park. Then tab it back to Hamilton probably a good 4 mile all in. I can mind being out in Hamilton on a Saturday night just after Souness came in and we played them at Fir Park and being at the game that day talking to my area saying we were giving it Souness Souness the Well fans replying Penis Penis which to be fair I thought was quite witty for them. With Jock Wallace managing them at home I can remember the rousing reception he got acknowledging us before he even waved to the home support the mutual respect from us & Jock was second to none. That recollection of Souness brought back some memories football in the afternoon home & away then pubbing and clubbing on Saturday night in my halcyon days where have they gone?

Pretty sure my auld Uncle John leaving for the car with ten mins to go at us being 2-1 up and we won 4-2. 1990. We met him at the car and he thought we’d won 2-1

Only ever visit was 04/05 when I’m pretty sure Lovenkrands got us out of jail.

My main memory of that day is my uncle getting a bad pie and being violently, violently ill for about a fortnight afterwards.

My earlierst memories of Motherwell was hitch hiking there as a 12/13 YO buying a kwenchie cup from the "catering" and watching in awe of the "firm"(HMS)coming off the football specials @ airbles.

Used to like Fir Park with decent terracing but remember a bitter cold night in 88, Graham Robert’s with a 30 yard strike postage stamp, game had been postponed on the Saturday for frozen pitch

I've got many firpark memories
I think the earliest would have been '66 as a 12 year old -

A bunch of us including my almost adult cousin at 15 years old from bellshill - got in a spot of bother with some old bag shopkeeper - who refused to sell him a tipped single

I think we won a hard fought 2-1 - but might be confusing that with another later game ?
I'm pretty sure I've never seen us loose there
But I will admit to a struggle remembering which match was which all these years ago

One Motherwel match at Ibrox I do remember very well from the same era - probably 65 or 66 ?
We were 2-0 down at half time -
but won 5-2 in a stunning second half

If I remember right, Brian McClair got all 3 Motherwell goals that day we lost 3-0
you are correct, shortly after Motherwell beat them and McClair scored a couple, there is a YT vid somewhere where McClair talks about Jock's reaction to him scoring 3 against us and 2 against them.

0-3 early 80s, think walker or McLair got the goals, about new year time and we were absolutely dire at that time, and someone wrote on the condensation of the supporters bus window, ‘fucked again’, kind of summed up that period

Random one but remember Fabrice Fernandes rocketing one in the top corner, think it was his debut around 2004. Also remember Gio van B chipping the ball against one of their fans and causing chaos.

Before a game there in the 70s my mate and I were in the covered terracing, full of Bears, and a guy’s flute fell out his pocket without him noticing. My mate picked it and handed it back to him, in thanks the guy offered my mate a swig out his bottle of Buckfast.
My mate politely declined but that just made the guy angry, the next offer was a bit more aggressive. So my mate had a swally of it and the guy was happy. The old days on the terracing were crazy, today’s youngsters have no idea.

Fond memories of fir park. Played there many times, worked for the club for over 6 years. Will always hold a place in my heart.

I remember going to a game in the 70's where there were too many fans behind the goals, in the end nearest to the town centre. Like a lot of grounds at that time, there was quite severe crushing, and this happened loads of times over a season.

The police let fans walk around the side of the pitch and enter into a different area.

I always seem to remember between the years of 2005-2010 or thereabouts that the pitch was an absolute disgrace. Looked like a green patchwork quilt with sections of the park looking like they had been dug up from elsewhere and filled in. Inside centre circle and goal mouths were a shambles.

Back