Firpark memories

I remember going to a game in the 70's where there were too many fans behind the goals, in the end nearest to the town centre. Like a lot of grounds at that time, there was quite severe crushing, and this happened loads of times over a season.

The police let fans walk around the side of the pitch and enter into a different area.

Think that might have been the Scottish Cup game in 1972.
Crowd was over 28,000.

Motherwell were my local side growing up.

Rangers aside, I remember going to Fir Park often to watch Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell etc.

My Step Dad was a Motherwell fan, so he used to take me when Rangers were away/not playing.

I was delighted when they won the Cup, and happy when they won in general.

I even played for their youth team for a short time.

Now, I wouldn’t watch the bastards if they were playing out the back, and wish them nothing but ill.

Motherwell were my local side growing up.

Rangers aside, I remember going to Fir Park often to watch Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell etc.

My Step Dad was a Motherwell fan, so he used to take me when Rangers were away/not playing.

I was delighted when they won the Cup, and happy when they won in general.

I even played for their youth team for a short time.

Now, I wouldn’t watch the bastards if they were playing out the back, and wish them nothing but ill.

I went to "support" them in the Texaco Cup in the 70's against Spurs, Coventry etc
Now I hate them with a vengeance. Horrible club...

As much as their shellsuited fans can be a bit annoying I used to matches away at Motherwell.

Probably because it was not far from Glasgow and usually home at the same time I would get home from a packed Ibrox.

Used to get the train there more often than not and when I got back to Glasgow would have arranged to go out for something to eat in town.

In 70 s 2 nil down fans invaded park after macvik Motherwell player giving Gers fan v sign and come back and win 5 3 and travelling back to Glasgow in a football special
septic lost to st mirren at home
happy days

Remember being at a game around 1983/84, that I went to with a couple of mates. The old dear had banned me from going to the games unless I was with my grandad or uncle due to the crowd trouble at the time. I'd made an excuse about going to the pictures, but ended up at the game. Cue a Motherwell player, Andy Dornan I think it was, being hit with a coin right in front of me and I'm in a picture in the Sunday papers the next day of the incident.
I'm sure we won 3-1 after losing the first goal.

Grew up around the corner, and as a kid joined the claret and amber club purely to get cheap tickets for the 2 Rangers games, much to the annoyance of my Motherwell supporting mates.

Their fans have never had much love for either us or Them, but their dislike for us in particular has been taken to a whole new level in recent years.

Favourite moment? How about Graham Roberts thunderbolt that unfortunately wasn't captured by TV cameras.
Proud member of the claret and amber club.
Guaranteed you tickets for Rangers games for £2.
I knew the stewards from school and would go up early to the East Stand and get moved into the terracing behind the goals which is now the Davie Cooper stand.

My earlierst memories of Motherwell was hitch hiking there as a 12/13 YO buying a kwenchie cup from the "catering" and watching in awe of the "firm"(HMS)coming off the football specials @ airbles.
Oh the days, they were about 11 pence when iused to buy them. Was literally just a cheap juice cartoon frozen, feel old now.

One of my earliest memories was beating Hamilton Accies 2-1 there in the mid/early 80's.
Sure the same player scored both goals
Might have been Patterson but it was a long time ago.

Being filmed the entire game watching us stink out a 1-1 draw with Beasley equalising.

Not been at another ground outwith Ibrox or Hampden in Scotland since.

My first visit there was in December 1993 and Gordon Durie scored twice to give us a 2-0 win. Didn't go back until December 1995 where we had a frustrating 0-0 draw.

I just remember how anti smoking the stadium was with big slogans across the stand like 'noBODY needs cigarettes' and 'keep cigarettes WELL from the match'.

My first visit there was in December 1993 and Gordon Durie scored twice to give us a 2-0 win. Didn't go back until December 1995 where we had a frustrating 0-0 draw.

I just remember how anti smoking the stadium was with big slogans across the stand like 'noBODY needs cigarettes' and 'keep cigarettes WELL from the match'.

Saw my first ever football match there. Motherwell v Falkirk. Also attended Motherwell v Aberdeen SC tie shortly after where Hewitt, I think, scored in 9 seconds and the game finished 1-0

Stayed behind for autographs about 1984ish and got the entire rangers team with Super Ally and Davie Cooper taking pride of place in the middle of the programme. Still have it somewhere.

A 1-0 win with a goal from some random french full back. Bonnissel mibbe ?

Boxing Day 2010, pretty sure the Bougherra song was sang for most of the first half. Drinking to just top up from the day before, got a ride the night before and then dominating in the glorious Walter years it was almost perfection for a Rangers day out.

That was a cracking day. Loved an away game on Boxing Day (before having kids)

Boxing Day 2010, pretty sure the Bougherra song was sang for most of the first half. Drinking to just top up from the day before, got a ride the night before and then dominating in the glorious Walter years it was almost perfection for a Rangers day out.
Mind that @TPB90 what a day haha

1972 - Scottish Cup tie, over 28,000 crammed in. We went ahead early on, they fought back to lead and a very late Colin Stein equaliser gained us a replay at Ibrox.

When firpark was getting renovated , Rangers played there in midweek , we had 3 tickets between 5 of us , I can’t remember if we all got in , but I remember meeting Derek Ferguson outside just after kickoff & seeing if he could somehow get us in .

Rangers were brilliant that evening & won 4-1 , I seem to remember bomber & miko amongst the scorers & the attendance was about 12,000 , which is probably as much as it holds now

The 2 that stick out are Graham Roberts goal from around the half way line and the 3-0 gubbing in 91.

Their late 3rd that day saw Aberdeen go top on GD and only needing a draw at Ibrox to win the league, I was gutted leaving Fir Park that day, thought we had blown it!!

Doubt I've been inside it since about the mid 90's now.

Their late 3rd that day saw Aberdeen go top on GD and only needing a draw at Ibrox to win the league, I was gutted leaving Fir Park that day, thought we had blown it!!

Doubt I've been inside it since about the mid 90's now.
The late 3rd goal although a sickener at the time may have been a blessing in disguise forcing us to go for the win. Dolly changed their game plan for the first time in months knowing a draw suited them.

I live in Hamilton just along the dual carriageway from the aforementioned M74 turn off. Anyways Fine Fare had opened a new store and laid on a free bus to poach customers from Hamilton. So that was my transport there sorted at full time gab down Authors Road past all the stationary cars caught by plod pissing off the bears by allowing vehicles from the town centre more flow at the lights at Strathclyde Park. Then tab it back to Hamilton probably a good 4 mile all in. I can mind being out in Hamilton on a Saturday night just after Souness came in and we played them at Fir Park and being at the game that day talking to my area saying we were giving it Souness Souness the Well fans replying Penis Penis which to be fair I thought was quite witty for them. With Jock Wallace managing them at home I can remember the rousing reception he got acknowledging us before he even waved to the home support the mutual respect from us & Jock was second to none. That recollection of Souness brought back some memories football in the afternoon home & away then pubbing and clubbing on Saturday night in my halcyon days where have they gone?
I remember the two new Fine Fares - they opened one in Hamilton too and gave them a multi-storey car park after that. I think the Motherwell one was originally a Wm Low. They also opened a Presto
next to Hamilton Bus Station with a restaurant above it.
Those were the days - a scarf on each arm and a thick one round the neck with wee wound badges and ones your mum had sewn on. You would also have the odd Scotland OK one and even the Bay City Rollers. Although the badges were mostly Rangers and the scarf was definitely Rangers I remember wearing them at Wembley and at all Scotland games at Hampden. Different days.

I remember the two new Fine Fares - they opened one in Hamilton too and gave them a multi-storey car park after that. I think the Motherwell one was originally a Wm Low. They also opened a Presto
next to Hamilton Bus Station with a restaurant above it.
Those were the days - a scarf on each arm and a thick one round the neck with wee wound badges and ones your mum had sewn on. You would also have the odd Scotland OK one and even the Bay City Rollers. Although the badges were mostly Rangers and the scarf was definitely Rangers I remember wearing them at Wembley and at all Scotland games at Hampden. Different days.
They started work on the Hamilton one in 82/83 with a as you say a car park it later became a Sommerfeld mind I spotted John Collins in there one Sunday in the 90's even being on thousands a month and grocery shopping in there? I can't remember the Wm Low / Presto in Motherwell but they did have a Goldberg's now a Wetherspoons strangely enough their town centre is always busier than Hamilton's today.

They started work on the Hamilton one in 82/83 with a as you say a car park it later became a Sommerfeld mind I spotted John Collins in there one Sunday in the 90's even being on thousands a month and grocery shopping in there? I can't remember the Wm Low / Presto in Motherwell but they did have a Goldberg's now a Wetherspoons strangely enough their town centre is always busier than Hamilton's today.

He was probably In there for the fruit and veg to keep the abs in shape.

Back