Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Barisic

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters

Mitchell McCoist

Official Ticketer
Assuming all are fit, who would you like to see as first choice left back?

I’d expect to see some rotation given the volume of games but who gets the jersey for you?

We dont have a first choice. It will change depending on opponent and who else is being picked further up the field.

McGregor, Goldson, Tavernier and Morelos are probably the only 4 who would be picked every time. The rest will rotate

If Flanagan is puting in a performance like that when he isn't even match fit, add in the end of last season, then he's in pole position.

We do need to sign a LB though (IMO) but I don't think SG does.

Halliday would be second choice based on performances.

I think Barisic in certain games where we are looking to get at teams and have plenty width. This is purely because his left foot gives us balance and not because I think he is better than Flanagan. We have seen already how much better we look with a left footed player in LCM. Teams need balance.

In the bigger games where we might play with more caution it has to be Flanagan.

I don't see it as a straight answer.

Flanagan is the best all out defender. Baricic has a good cross and is able to get up and down the pitch easily. Halliday is in the middle of both, so is a steady option.

They will all play thier part where their particular skillset is required.

Flanagan for me if he can stay lean and keep his fitness levels up.

I can't imagine too many wingers look forward to a tackle from him.

He's hard as nails.

We dont have a first choice. It will change depending on opponent and who else is being picked further up the field.

McGregor, Goldson, Tavernier and Morelos are probably the only 4 who would be picked every time. The rest will rotate
Totally agree Bigbluebear. It's a squad game and personnel will change depending on the opposition and occasion. Not many "first choice" picks.

I am not convinced that Barasic isn't our best option, as he obviously is a better all-round footballer than Flanno.
But the bold Jon is clearly a more reliable defender.
It will be interesting to see where the manager goes with this.
He has a squad of players that he clearly intends to use as he sees fit and to shape them to fit the particular task in hand.

Chopping and changing a defence has never been seen as accepted wisdom, but you could also argue chopping and changing any part of a team isn't that desirable.
Unless of course it can be done without upsetting the balance and understanding of the eleven as a unit.
Steven Gerrard obviously believes that over a season his charges have to be kept fit and fresh and seems to have confidence that he can inspire a squad that retain the word team even as its component parts are shifted in and out of the entity.

For European away games, and Aberdeen away, and all matches against Celtic, it's Flanagan.

For the majority of home games and away games where the opponent are more likely to just sit in, it's Barisic.

For the 10 or so games a season he's required, it's Halliday.

Horses for courses.

In games against better sides where it opens up, then Flanagan.

In games against terrible teams where we need to open them up, then Barisic, because the crossing ability he gives us is another tool to help unlock a packed defence.

In games where it turns into a kicking contest and we need a guy who's going to stand up and be counted, but also drive the ball forward in attack, it's Halliday.

Seemingly it's going to Brandon Barker according to a few on here.

It will be horses for courses I think. Barisic will come back in on Sunday. Flanagan is a more solid defensive option for us in games like last night though he is able to get forward to a lesser degree.

Last edited:
I don’t get this “Flanagan is solid thing”. Allowed himself to get dragged inside for the second goal and left an acre of space down his side to allow their boy an easy chance.

I think Barasic has obviously struggled but imo he deserves a run of games to prove himself, to prove he has it in him to cope with Scottish fitba.
He's already becoming the new scapegoat, the pure venom in some of the abuse he was getting at Rugby park was worse than most mentally challenged players get.

I think Barasic can very much come good for us. I think he should be given a run of games to prove that. However, based on the early performances you would have to go with Flanagan at the moment. Solid as a rock last night and even offered enough going forward as well.

I also like the fact that when he does tackle someone he can do it fairly whilst booting them 6ft in the air.

In games like last night it's Flanagan, but he doesn't offer enough going forward in games where our left back is going to be required to be part of the attack for most of the game.

Would ideally have an all rounder but can't see us signing anyone else for that position.

Flanagan is the left back with Halliday back up.

Sell Barasic soonest as he's not going to work out - no more excuses of preseason, injury settling in etc, he is just not built mentally to be a Rangers player.

A new signing ideally. As it stands, Flanagan and Halliday rotating depending on context of the game.

Flanagan is the best defender out of the three, also showed yesterday that he's more than capable of playing some nice forward passes. As for second choice I really don't think there's a great deal between barisic and Halliday, AH actually has just as good a left foot imo.

Flanagan for Europe and the tougher games in the SPFL but against the smaller sides at Ibrox in particular we need a more attacking LB.

Flanagan’s worst games for us have probably been against the smaller sides who sit in with 10 behind the ball he’s a good defender but a bit old school who doesn’t offer much creatively in these types of games.

Maybe if we can sell Barisic to some club in Europe we might look at bringing a new LB in.

Think it depends on the game. Tougher matches Flanagan but others you have to play Barisic if still here or Halliday.

Back