First Encounter With Their Obsession.

Sitting in a pub,one of them (a lady) for want of better words, gradually drunk the obligatory 9-10 pints, turns from quiet to Frankenstein's bride,upon seeing my rangers tattoos, calls me a bigot (hadn't talked to her),then stood up and sang"the fields"long story short, banned from the pub,lost her job!(high flyer). strange breed indeed, the rest of her company didn't want to know!
Always a happy ending.

I have had a life time of obsession from these half wits which usually ends with them all upset. Now i have retired i have nothing to do with them, and SNP voters coz its grief i can do without

Moving to England is what got me away from them. I do see a scum top very very occasionally (like a couple times a year), but they are still an irrelevance down here. They’re not even on the radar of the football fans down here, and that makes me happy.

I remember when I was about 21 at a party and I sat next to one of them that I knew quite well. Had no incline to talk about football, but I sat down and asked how he was doing. He replied with the following. “What do you make of Ronald De Boer? I said what’s that? He said, “was found in a hotel room with a rent boy” shook my head, lifted my pint and went to my other mates. I didn’t even realise it was happening at the time, but it all makes sense now!

Noticed a neighbour up the street was getting some repairs done to their roof. Van was done out in green and white and then the operative appeared from the back of the van ready to tackle the repair decked out in ,no not overalls but the manks top, jogging bottoms and trainer's. Obviously doesn't use STV advertising.

Worst I have seen in recent times is them turning up to their kids football training ( in the summer ) with a Celtic scarf on ....

I can understand a top etc but a scarf ??
I saw one in Blackpool this year. July or early
August. Scarf on under a leather jacket:)

When we were in the bottom division, my brother in law bought a weekend subscription for some sports channel to watch us versus Brechin or some shit on a Friday night. Think it might have been a cup game. I remember him telling me it cost him 12 quid. Creeps.

One at my work claimed his son was a better keeper than Robby McCrorie, same age and his son tbf was at least at Hibs..when he was 17/18 but now they're 22 his son plays for a Junior team.

I don't talk football with them, they assume I know about Celtic but I haven't the foggiest and they talk utter shite.

Too me the obsession is pretty recent in like the last 10 years.
It coincides with the political party thats also obsessed .
Dont remember it like that in the 80s
its always been there i remember from my teenage yrs seeing it and im on my mid 40s now and my uncles tell me they remember it as kids
its part of their inferiority complex

i think this fits oon this thread as i was going to start a thread about anyone who says 'and we call them obsessed' should read this
then get a boot in the baws

Regularly pick up my two grandaughters at school couldn’t believe it the other day when this dick turned up in the hoops I’m in my sixties would never have happened in the late fifties or sixties was astonished to be honest wife had to keep me calm

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Just wait until you bump into 50 - 60 year old one in the supermarket in the full kit. Shorts ,socks , top and studded boots. And yes I have seen that before. It looked like someone had dressed up an out of date spud in a bheast kit and told it to do the shopping for them.
A common site in Kirkcaldy. Just missing the shin pads. His Mrs was so proud of him. Not sure about the grand weans.

Off topic but I work with a Hearts and Aberdeen fan

If they knew as much about their own club as they do us they would be some fans btw.

Funnily enough the Hearts fan hasn't said a word about football recently and the Sheep is a wee fanny who already admitted he got battered at Hampden when we played Peterhead for opening his foul mouth. His mates play for Peterhead so was down for the game and got nutted enroute to the ground.

I think I had quite a sheltered upbringing, lived in stonehouse until I was 16, moved down south for a couple of years but then moved to dennistoun & got a job where I was referred to as the "lone ranger" ,I worked with about 15 Celtic fans & to make matters worse it was 1997-98. It was traumatic to say the least :confused: Haha

Two guys I worked with in Edinburgh who would spend more time every day talking about Rangers than I did. While Edinburgh isn't that far away, I would've thought that it was slightly less full blown Sevco than most of the stuff they were usually hitting out with. I also like to throw in the fact that one of them was so fat that I saw him getting out of breath at times while sitting down. It still kind of baffles me to this day - he blamed it on having some kind of back problem. I suppose having an extra 10 stone crushing against it for your entire waking life would be a back problem.

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Just wait until you bump into 50 - 60 year old one in the supermarket in the full kit. Shorts ,socks , top and studded boots. And yes I have seen that before. It looked like someone had dressed up an out of date spud in a bheast kit and told it to do the shopping for them.
I saw one in Rio de Janiro airport, a few years ago. Jeans , green and grey top with a suit jacket on

It’s true, they have no standards or decency.

About 5 years ago I attended the funeral of my best friends Mother who I loved dearly, a great human being and someone who had treated me well growing up and being a friend of her son. We travelled four and a half hours from Lincolnshire to pay our respects. They were a Catholic family not devout but good people and not bigoted in any way. My wife and I went to the service in the chapel and the internment then back to the "reception" . We sat down for the purvey and we were seated beside her Son in law and daughter in law and a few others. Just making conversation about general stuff and memories of the deceased. We got small talking and about a book the sis in laws son had published about an old Celtic player. I feigned polite interest and the son in law brings up the fact that Im a Rangers supporter. His Mrs piped up " I didnt think there were any of them left" obviously alluding to admin. The conversation took a turn for the worse. Not on our part in hasten to add. . Remember this is at a funeral that we had travelled miles to attend to pay our respects. We kept our counsel finished our food and left. After a suitable interlude of a few weeks I told my mate what had happened and he was absolutely appalled. Folks Please dont come back with the standard "well that was your first mistake making friends with a Tim" . He was genuinely annoyed and spoke to his family. But I will tell you what as a 64 year old that experience made me more bitter against that lot than I ever was as a younger man.

Glasgow airport the other day, flight back from London, an older couple, both matching green and grey striped Ra Sellik facemasks.
Mental.

I often read with some amusement, and sometimes taken with a little salt, of fellow Bears experiences with the obsession their Celtic counterparts have with our great club. Some of it just seemed too far fetched to be true. But today I had my first encounter with an obsessed mentally challenged.

I go to pick up the wee man from school every day and usually there is another dad there who I sometimes pass the time with. I know he is Celtic fan as he often wears their strip (even though he must be late'30's early '40's)
Today was no different as he had the full black Magners kit, obviously brand new.
We seldom talk football. He knows my leanings as I wear an RSEA badge on my jacket. He seem to be quite a decent enough, erudite guy.

But today we had this conversation.

He. "Did you hear the draw for the next Europa League after the next round"
Me. "No I didn't" (Genuinely forgot the draw was today).
He. "You have drawn Galatasary. That's a sore one"
Me. "Bugger. I would love to go to that game. They are a good team and their fans are every bit as passionate as any we have here. It will be a good game".
He. "I think you will struggle to beat them if you get past the Dutch team"
Me. "Ach, We'll see. We seem to do well in this competirion. But it will be a good game. Who did Celtic draw?"
He. "I don't know"

He really looked puzzled when I started laughing.
Celtic top on, I just don't go near them.
The end.

This is very common, it’s like they want to emphasise that their kids go to non denomination schools. Very rarely you see somebody in a Gers top.
Why do crash barriers put their kids into non denominational schools? Colour me baffled. These people endlessly protect their right to their bigot factories, then a number of them put their kids to the good schools. Strange.

If you’ve made it to this point and it’s only your first encounter, you have done well.

Was at the Horseshoe for the first time in 6 months for the Imps game and lo and behold when our second goal when in an old mentally challenged harrumphed, finished his drink and vacated the pub. Having to pre-book a table to watch the team you're supposed to hate in a match they're 99% sure to win - now that's obsession.

Due to my father marrying “one of them” - though my mother is now very staunch - various relatives are on the dark side.

One cousin - the 40 year old virgin come to life - is a full blown Sevco flat earther. Gives ill-Phil donations, humorously used to by fanzines and the Rangers News “to find out what yous are up to”, admitted to buying RTV so he could watch our games, has been in the away end at Ibrox - even passing up the opportunity to watch his own team play at the same time.

In testament to his perverse love of all things Rangers, my dad and I got him a brick at Ibrox a few years ago which his name and “true blue” etched below it for posterity. Not sure if he has gone to see it mind.

I pick my daughters up every day from school. There are a few unwashed but I ignore them. I'd never make the effort to speak with them as I know they would just piss me off.
Plenty of bears tho whom I regularly speak with.
Seen a guy with an Aberdeen top on and just smirked at him. He knows why.

Why do crash barriers put their kids into non denominational schools? Colour me baffled. These people endlessly protect their right to their bigot factories, then a number of them put their kids to the good schools. Strange.
Never set foot in a chapel while being personally and deeply offended at any perceived anti-Catholic bigotry.

About 5 years ago I attended the funeral of my best friends Mother who I loved dearly, a great human being and someone who had treated me well growing up and being a friend of her son. We travelled four and a half hours from Lincolnshire to pay our respects. They were a Catholic family not devout but good people and not bigoted in any way. My wife and I went to the service in the chapel and the internment then back to the "reception" . We sat down for the purvey and we were seated beside her Son in law and daughter in law and a few others. Just making conversation about general stuff and memories of the deceased. We got small talking and about a book the sis in laws son had published about an old Celtic player. I feigned polite interest and the son in law brings up the fact that Im a Rangers supporter. His Mrs piped up " I didnt think there were any of them left" obviously alluding to admin. The conversation took a turn for the worse. Not on our part in hasten to add. . Remember this is at a funeral that we had travelled miles to attend to pay our respects. We kept our counsel finished our food and left. After a suitable interlude of a few weeks I told my mate what had happened and he was absolutely appalled. Folks Please dont come back with the standard "well that was your first mistake making friends with a Tim" . He was genuinely annoyed and spoke to his family. But I will tell you what as a 64 year old that experience made me more bitter against that lot than I ever was as a younger man.
Was that the daughter of the deceased making that remark?

Read the match report in the Daily Mail on line shortly after the Imps game and 7 or 8 comments by bears with positive comments.
Every one had a red NO against them. Who would take the time to do that?
The same applies if by some odd circumstance and we are in The Gruniard.

PS. Don't ever click on the Scottish based titles.

Back