First Encounter With Their Obsession.

Emperor Smith

I often read with some amusement, and sometimes taken with a little salt, of fellow Bears experiences with the obsession their Celtic counterparts have with our great club. Some of it just seemed too far fetched to be true. But today I had my first encounter with an obsessed mentally challenged.

I go to pick up the wee man from school every day and usually there is another dad there who I sometimes pass the time with. I know he is Celtic fan as he often wears their strip (even though he must be late'30's early '40's)
Today was no different as he had the full black Magners kit, obviously brand new.
We seldom talk football. He knows my leanings as I wear an RSEA badge on my jacket. He seem to be quite a decent enough, erudite guy.

But today we had this conversation.

He. "Did you hear the draw for the next Europa League after the next round"
Me. "No I didn't" (Genuinely forgot the draw was today).
He. "You have drawn Galatasary. That's a sore one"
Me. "Bugger. I would love to go to that game. They are a good team and their fans are every bit as passionate as any we have here. It will be a good game".
He. "I think you will struggle to beat them if you get past the Dutch team"
Me. "Ach, We'll see. We seem to do well in this competirion. But it will be a good game. Who did Celtic draw?"
He. "I don't know"

He really looked puzzled when I started laughing.

Last edited:
He picked his kids up from school in a full Sellik kit? :eek:

And you were willing to stand beside him dressed like this outside a primary school? Other parents will have phoned the polis :)

This is very common, it’s like they want to emphasise that their kids go to non denomination schools. Very rarely you see somebody in a Gers top.

I cringe when I see people picking their kids up from school in football tops. Obviously given the school its mostly Rangers tops I see but there is one who wears the green and grey.

As for the OP there is too many to remember. That story doesnt surprise me in the slightest though. There is a guy I work with who comes out with stuff like that all the time.

I cringe when I see people picking their kids up from school in football tops. Obviously given the school its mostly Rangers tops I see but there is one who wears the green and grey.

As for the OP there is too many to remember. That story doesnt surprise me in the slightest though. There is a guy I work with who comes out with stuff like that all the time.

I read about the obsession on here quite often but, as I never experienced it myself, I tended to play it down in my mind as exaggeration or just for laughs.

Today was genuinely my first , first hand experience.
I will look upon all further posts about their creepy behaviour in a new light.
And I can only apologise for my previous scepticism.:))

He picked his kids up from school in a full Sellik kit? :eek:

And you were willing to stand beside him dressed like this outside a primary school? Other parents will have phoned the polis :)

surely picking kids up from school is the 3rd kit?

home kit - everyday use, court, job centre
away kit - funerals, weddings, slophouse visits
3rd kit - picking kids up from school (with nametag so they know who he is)

surely picking kids up from school is the 3rd kit?

home kit - everyday use, court, job centre
away kit - funerals, weddings, slophouse visits
3rd kit - picking kids up from school (with nametag so they know who he is)

Must be as he says in the OP that it was the full black kit. :))

I often read with some amusement, and sometimes taken with a little salt, of fellow Bears experiences with the obsession their Celtic counterparts have with our great club. Some of it just seemed too far fetched to be true. But today I had my first encounter with an obsessed mentally challenged.

I go to pick up the wee man from school every day and usually there is another dad there who I sometimes pass the time with. I know he is Celtic fan as he often wears their strip (even though he must be late'30's early '40's)
Today was no different as he had the full black Magners kit, obviously brand new.
We seldom talk football. He knows my leanings as I wear an RSEA badge on my jacket. He seem to be quite a decent enough, erudite guy.

Me. "Bugger. I would love to go to that game. They are a good team and their fans are every bit as passionate as any we have here. It will be a good game".
Me. "Ach, We'll see. We seem to do well in this competirion. But it will be a good game. Who did Celtic draw?"
He. "I don't know"

He. "I don't know"

Just wow

He. "I don't know"

That's a belter of an example of how they are.

That just about sums them up. On a side note who did they actually get? Have they got two potential away ties coming up? Is that easier than playing at home if we get past Willem II?

He. "I don't know"

Did he have shin guards on under the full kit mate ?

When I see their strip, it’s like a warning, stay well clear. There’s one in my work that during the hmrc issues, was seen to read dossiers of info about it. Someone came into our office from another department, and asked me what was going on with it all, I replied’ “ speak to tony, he knows it better than anyone!” He was raging

Some of them wear the green and grey everywhere, I pick my boys up from school sometimes and there are a couple of fathers there in Celtic gear, one of them was a full kit wanker one day, it’s quite scummy to be honest.

I mind 10 years ago, my other half gave birth to our first boy, there was a mhank up in the maternity ward with his partner who had also given birth, he wore a (stained) Celtic top for 2 days straight, then on the 3rd day he changed it up a bit and wore an old Rep Of Ireland top.

Too me the obsession is pretty recent in like the last 10 years.
It coincides with the political party thats also obsessed .
Dont remember it like that in the 80s

You’re just wanting to sound staunch by asking who they play aren’t you ?
by the way who do they play ? :p
:)) :)) :)) genuinely no idea who they got but knew they were away in the first game they've got. I take it its not a team of note otherwise everyone would be gloating.

Unless it is us I genuinely have no interest in who they play.
But it is nice to see the headlines when they get pumped.

Same with signings. Apart from the Lego Eater I would struggle to name any of their first 11.
I don’t buy papers but having to read headlines like “Ra Sellick were robbed” or “the ref made sure sellick would get beat 4-0 “ every time they loss has become boring

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Just wait until you bump into 50 - 60 year old one in the supermarket in the full kit. Shorts ,socks , top and studded boots. And yes I have seen that before. It looked like someone had dressed up an out of date spud in a bheast kit and told it to do the shopping for them.

It’s a real thing, the infatuation they have with us. I only realised it myself when I married into a family of the obsessed. The wife hates football and takes nothing to do with it thankfully , but her family have given me a lot of laughs over the years , and they don’t even realise they are doing it . Everything, and I mean everything , is about the Rangers . The example the OP has given has become what I’m used to . They were discussing our draw today in our group chat before any of them mentioned who they got . Incredible :))

Too me the obsession is pretty recent in like the last 10 years.
It coincides with the political party thats also obsessed .
Dont remember it like that in the 80s
Its always been there just not as "out there" as it is now.

In the past you relied on the news, papers and club for information and it was generally limited to the players and what happened on the pitch.

Nowadays, with the introduction of social media, there is an information overload with every aspect of the game and players lives open to interrogation and every clown has an opinion on it.

In days gone by idiots knew they were idiots and generally tried to conceal the fact by keeping quiet. Now they have no idea that they are, in fact, idiots as they have like minded simpletons in green and grey agreeing with them and thereby validating their opinions which they spread across all SM forums.

Experts in finance, tax and all manner of things (particularly Rangers related) but unable to hold down a job.

The Internet is a fantastic tool but sadly there is a down side.

Worst I have seen in recent times is them turning up to their kids football training ( in the summer ) with a Celtic scarf on ....

I can understand a top etc but a scarf ??

Reactions: jtc
FUkR0Fo.gif

Back