First Europeam Memory

johnny1872

Official Ticketer
First memories were the cup winners cup run in 1971/72 when we won it but wasn’t at any of the games.
Attended the centenary game v Ajax in Jan 73 and then Ankaragucu in CWC in October 73. Not missed many home Euro games since then.

Thasunke Witko

Davie Cooper v iiilves Tampere

First one for me also and have a memory of a 15yo me and my school pal playing under the road signs between the wee Rangers and skeletors roundabout whilst waiting on his dad to pick us up after the game, we were there for a while, remember being in awe of coop, not just that game though but he was superb that evening.

mlbear

Official Ticketer
1969 vs Gornik at Ibrox, Jim Baxter gave us hope but Lubanski scored a wonder goal that night

tangledupinblue

My first experience was when I was only 9 in a 1-0 win against Lillestrom of Norway in a preliminary round of the European Cup Winner's Cup in 1979.

My old man took me and all I can remember is standing at the bottom of Kingsway, Yoker waiting on a supporters bus which I believe would have been the old double decker 'Blue Star' from Drumchapel. It was a glorious sunny evening in August.

I had to google some info as I was too young but see that Gordon Smith scored the only goal in a 4-4-2. McCloy in goals with Cooper also playing. Big DJ was subbed on the 90' replaced by Chris Robertson who I have never heard of before.

GovanFront4

JJ scoring against Bayern Leverkusen at Ibrox. I was at the PAOK and Beitar Jerusalem games but don’t remember anything about them.

Unicorn

1st game I was at was Lyngby at Ibrox in 1992. I remember the goals and Hateley being down injured for ages after scoring. I wasn't at the the game but remember my dad coming home from the Sparta Prague game and me not understanding why he looked so glum until he explained away goals to me.

bellasboy

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.
Same here mate was in the main stand with my dad was there for every home tie, my dad went to Barcelona

adamski

Listening to us beat Osasuna 1-0, but get knocked out 2-1 on Aggregate in 85/86.

Certain it was on Radio Clyde

barrheadbear

My first every European match was the friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in November 1970. Big DJ scoring the only goalnin front of 55000.

My first competitive game was in Oct 1973, a 4-0 victory over Turkish side Ankaragucu.

carlosapicella

First game was semi v Eintracht,just remember crowd,and these Germans running up the park and scoring all the time was only 8 tho,but Sandy's goal v Bayern,was right behind the goal!One that I've never seen since was against Dortmund circa65/66 they had a few world cup players held/ emmerich etc,we won 2-1but they scored a very controversial goal I'm sure,sigi held had ran off pitch and I'm sure he stepped back on to score the goal,ah memories!thinking back to Juventus 2-0 wee Doddy. Clattering causio off the ball,then next 5minutes stuck to where the ref was,with causio beside him ,steam coming out his ears,hell bent on revenge!

burgh blue

pestered my old man something rotten when he came back from wolverhampton so he took me to the game v fiorentina
only remember the crowds the lights and the noise !

WATP

Macdonsj

first memory is Kiev at Ibrox
2-0

a top notch kiev team well beaten
the Govan Stand practically doing the bouncy - the noise that night was incredible

Us

Woods
Nicholl
Phillips
McGregor
Butcher
Souness
Cohen
Francis
Durrant
McCoist
Falco

bench - Fleck/Kirkwood

Kiev

Chanov
Bessonov
Baltacha
Kuznetsov

Evseev
Rats
Yakovenko
Mykhailychenko
Yaremchuk
Belanov
Blokhin

bench - Shmatovalenko / Yevtushenko

those in bold were household names despite it being pre-internet age

Steve Snedden

Listening to a report on the radio of a 3-0 defeat away to Dukla Prague.

It was our first European game i almost two years and as a boy I had convinced myself that we were going to win the ECWC again that year.

I also laboured under the mis-apprehension that the previous season was the first time that we had failed to qualify for European competition.

It was only in the last few years that a poster corrected me.

I suspect it was @rangeral

rangeral

Listening to a report on the radio of a 3-0 defeat away to Dukla Prague.

It was our first European game i almost two years and as a boy I had convinced myself that we were going to win the ECWC again that year.

I also laboured under the mis-apprehension that the previous season was the first time that we had failed to qualify for European competition.

It was only in the last few years that a poster corrected me.

I suspect it was @rangeral
@Steve Snedden

sorry wasn't me that corrected you on that

rangeral

My 1st European memory was the Dynamo Kiev beamback in 1987

1st European game in person the said 2nd leg of that match

Jelle1880

The Parma game in 1999. I remember seeing it on tv in Belgium (not live but the highlights) because at that time Italian football in general was seen as one of the powerhouses of club football.

Scottish football wasn't really known to anyone apart from the obvious two clubs but that was the game that peaked my interest in Rangers. Then it took me about 8 years to visit Ibrox for the first time against Stuttgart and never looked back :)

Disraeli

My first European game was the defeat to Strasbourg in 97.

Gattuso scores a really good goal ( I think his first for the club ) but we were poor. Remember thinking that Goram was rubbish for both goals they scored

Alex87

Rangers 2-2 Marseille got me into football. Loved that season as a 6 year old, and watched the Rangers 5 in a Row Video about 50 times the following season!

DC Anchor

V's Monchengladbach in 73, 3-0 down from the 1st leg so the tie was basically over, still over 40K at Ibrox for the 2nd leg.

cadge_1959

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.
This was my first European match. Was there with dad, uncle and grandad. Was so looking forward to going the next round, either my mum put her foot down and said its too late, or my dad wanted a few halfs before the game. I'm pretty certain it was the latter

crookie_bear

FC Twente or Zurich mid 70's cant remember which was first. Foreign teams always seemed to have cracking looking shiny adidas football strips under the Ibrox floodlights

Kris1872

Official Ticketer
My first European game was Shellbourne at Ibrox can't remember anything of the game apart from the score. First game I can remember being at was Parma at Ibrox when we beat them 2-0 a game I will never forget for the rest of my life.