First Europeam Memory

Mines was Sevilla 1962. Beat them 4-0 at Ibrox and lost 2-0 in Spain. I can remember wee Willie Henderson being chased up the park in Spain at the final whistle. Was also at the next round against Spurs, think Jimmy Grieves scored two.

I think I may be a bit of a jinx. I posted on the other thread that my first game at Ibrox we lost a Scottish Cup replay 2-5 to Motherwell (I was only 5 years old). My first European match at Ibrox we lost 1-3 to Gornik Zabrze after taking the lead through Jim Baxter. Their winger, Lubanski, tore us apart.:(

I think Davie White, the Manager, got sacked the following morning.

To lighten the mood, what are your first euro memories as a Rangers fan? The first real season I remember being at games was 1969, I remember being in the St Pats end when we beat Aberdeen in the SC semi, but my first memory of European football was against Athletic Bilbao (apologies if spelt wrong) But I don't remember the goals... I remember the fllodlights and the lack of commentary but my lasting memory was John Greig missing a penalty that seemed so far over the bar it beggared belief. I was sitting on the wall of the original Derry (my dad plonked me there before kick off and somehow always found me at the end!) Loved floodlight football and European matches ever since.

Many great memories since then, and some shite, but that was my first. Anyone else remember theirs?
First European game i attended was Cologne 1988/89 season . Think we drew but went out on the night . Always remember ( as we were standing in west enclosure ) the bears singing “we won the war “

Torino game at Ibrox back on the 72 Cup Winners cup run, Alex MacDonald was the only goal (if I remember correctly just after half time) and taking us through to semi's

Mines was Sevilla 1962. Beat them 4-0 at Ibrox and lost 2-0 in Spain. I can remember wee Willie Henderson being chased up the park in Spain at the final whistle. Was also at the next round against Spurs, think Jimmy Grieves scored two.
One of my earliest memories, we beat Borrusia MG 8 nil at Ibrox,11 nil on aggregate.imagine doing that to a top German team now,I'm sure we reached the final that year,also beating Wolves in the semi final,there's a song in there somewhere

1967 ECWC Final 1-0 defeat v Bayern Munich when I was 9.

It was one of the very few games televised live back then, especially in England involving any Scottish teams.

Remember watching it with my late Scots Dad and Scots Grandfather, from what I can remember I thought we were unlucky to lose. It was the first time I had ever seen Rangers play and would have to wait another near 12 years before the next - only that one was in the flesh at Hampden Park. 1979 Scots League Cup Final Sheep 1 Gers 2. :))

My first Euro Bears game attended technically was our 1-2 win at Elland Road, Leeds in 1992, but abroad - 1999 in Munich when we lost 1-0, the night of the Mols injury :( We played SO well hitting the woodwork THREE times, even the Bayern Manager said the best team lost.

12,000 Bears in Munich, a fantastic trip and my first of many more in Europe.

Earliest memory of actually being at the game is Torino in 72 but like dh1963 I have vague memories of cheering with my old man as the mentally challengeds lost to Feyenoord in 70.

Here in Luton I naively cheered on C**tic beating Inter Milan in 1967 (was only aged 9), thinking they were a British side. It was only the following week when I sat down to watch our ECWC Final v Bayern Munich that my late Dad & Granddad both Scots 'educated' me in the matter. :p

When the harbourers played Feyenoord in Milan 1970 - I was now fully cheering on the Dutch 100% :))

My first ever memory was Real Madrid 1963 as a 7 year old and my old man effin and blinding hammering wee nails into the alcove wall trying to get tv Ariel in place to get a decent picture on the tv

First one I was at was Juve in 78.

I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch a game when I was a toddler and I'm assuming it was the final in 72, but have no real memory of it.
That was mine - reduced capacity - first time at a night game - remember following omnfrom Argentina - someone threw up paper - like the ticker tape - In the main stand
As my dad says a great first ever euro game with a win over what was essentially the Italian national team -
Went to all three home games that season - remember being gutted after losing to cologne

First euro game
I can mind being at was Stuttgart at Ibrox in 2007. I don’t think it was my first European game but that is as far back as I can remember being at one.

My first experience of what European football was when my Da came home raging after us getting a hiding off Frankfurt in 1960. I was very young and didn’t understand who Frankfurt were as I couldn’t find them in the League. I remember being confused as to why my Da was upset when we hadn’t dropped three points in the table.

First game I actually attended was a win against Dortmund in 1966 at Ibrox. I seem to remember Ibrox being absolutely packed that night for some reason and King Kai and Alec Smith scoring our goals. My first away Euro trip was a defeat to St. Étienne in France in 1975, the year they made it to the final. That trip was also my first introduction to sports marketing. I remember noticing French teams‘ jerseys were absolutely plastered with advertising and the name Le Cocq Sportif sticking in my mind.

Last edited:
I remember Rangers knocking out Juventus at Ibrox , but older bears will know - was it live on tv ? I remember watching the goals and then going to bed as I was only 6 yr old ,
We only got the Scottish cup final and the scotland v England match live back then , so I’m not 100% sure if Rangers v Juve was live

Bobby Russell scoring v PSV was my first memory but i also remember reading a book in the school library about football and seeing that we played Young Boys Bern in the seventies and scraped through on aggregate. Being only 9 and playing for my local Under 10s, I actually thought we'd played a boys' team.

The first midweek game I attended was against a team called DWS Amsterdam. I have no memory of it at all apart from my dad having to get me home sharp or I wasn't allowed to go midweek again.

Got a vague memory of us losing to Gornik but only because of how depressed my old man was, he never took me to that one.

Sounds terrible, but probably my first proper memory is the celebrations in our house when Feyenoord beat Celtic!

Can also remember losing to Gornik, The first euro game my old man took me to was v Rennes at Ibrox in the cup winners cup.

Rangers V Hertha Berlin in 1975.

Was a pre season friendly right enough but it was the first time that I was allowed to go to Ibrox by myself.

I was in the East enclosure and will never forget the memory of walking up those stairs and getting to the top to see that massive stadium unfold into view and the beautiful lush playing surface strike you immediately and the colours from the old centenery stand seats.

The game is a blur but the magnificent sight of the stadium will live forever. That was the feeling there and then that this was something to be very proud of.

My frst competitve game was Juventus in 1978. Amazing night.

What a lucky lad I am.

First memory as a 10 year old against Real Madrid in 1963,we played them off the pitch 0-1.

Amazingly we haven't played them since,discounting the away leg of course.

Away from home Bayern (Michael Mols/ Thug Kahn)
Home Milan 3-1 game, sure it wasnt my first but earliest I can remember

78/79 season against Cologne at Ibrox. I think the game was nearly off due to snow. I had a srap book with a newspaper cutting in it.
Postponed from the Wed to the Thur due to snow. Army of supporters cleared the pitch to allow game to go ahead. Maybe they could have buried B Urquhart in a snow drift while they were at it.

First game was Dynamo Moscow when we battered them at home and then smashed them a week later away.

Don’t really remember that game tbh but the Feyenoord one at home is the first proper memory of European football at Ibrox.

Bratislava was my first away game and I still don’t know how we managed to go through having only won one game in the group. What an adventure to there and to Porto that season as a 16 year old

Back