First Europeam Memory

BlueReddington

To lighten the mood, what are your first euro memories as a Rangers fan? The first real season I remember being at games was 1969, I remember being in the St Pats end when we beat Aberdeen in the SC semi, but my first memory of European football was against Athletic Bilbao (apologies if spelt wrong) But I don't remember the goals... I remember the fllodlights and the lack of commentary but my lasting memory was John Greig missing a penalty that seemed so far over the bar it beggared belief. I was sitting on the wall of the original Derry (my dad plonked me there before kick off and somehow always found me at the end!) Loved floodlight football and European matches ever since.

Many great memories since then, and some shite, but that was my first. Anyone else remember theirs?

Porto at Ibrox, John Greig’s last game in charge. 2-1 in the pouring rain. Late away goal conceded.

The first midweek game I attended was against a team called DWS Amsterdam. I have no memory of it at all apart from my dad having to get me home sharp or I wasn't allowed to go midweek again.

Got a vague memory of us losing to Gornik but only because of how depressed my old man was, he never took me to that one.

Sounds terrible, but probably my first proper memory is the celebrations in our house when Feyenoord beat Celtic!

Red Star Belgrade at Ibrox. Only thing I remember from the game was McCoists header.

1st European match was Cologne in 1988.
2-0 down from the 1st leg and we were 1-0 up at Ibrox chasing a goal to level the tie.
I'm sure it was Thomas Hassler who hammered in a late equaliser off the underside of the bar.
We went out but I always remember that amazing atmosphere as a kid.

Earliest memory of actually being at the game is Torino in 72 but like dh1963 I have vague memories of cheering with my old man as the mentally challengeds lost to Feyenoord in 70.

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.

Firs euro game i really remember attending was against man utd when we lost 1-0 neville scored early on

Feb 87. We played Bordeaux in a friendly. I managed to get Tigana's autograph after the game and also a from handshake

The famous 1978 European Cup run, went to the home games against Juvenus, PSV & Cologne. Had the chance to go to Eindhoven with my Grandpa but at 12 decided not to lol ( he was a bit of an Alki and likely to have lost me over there)...That Juve team in particular had a frightening line up of Italian Internationals.

First one I was at was Juve in 78.

I remember being allowed to stay up late to watch a game when I was a toddler and I'm assuming it was the final in 72, but have no real memory of it.

Rangers v Bayern Munich sept 1970 finished 1 - 1 . fairs cities cup 1 - 2 on aggregate ..
second game was against Moscow Dynamo in a friendly in oct 1970 which we won 1 - 0 ..
Strange to think how these teams would crop up less than 2 years later ..

Beating Torino 1-0 in 72 when I'm sure the ball came off of Alex MacDonald's shin for the goal :)
The thing I remember about that night was the waiting in the queue at HT for a pie , and two guys in front of me saying how we were the fittest team in Britain , which reassured me as a 10 year old .
Funny the things you remember .

When we beat maribor 3-1 2001. Remember they took the lead and I still to this day have never heard Ibrox go so silent.

1st European match was Cologne in 1988.
2-0 down from the 1st leg and we were 1-0 up at Ibrox chasing a goal to level the tie.
I'm sure it was Thomas Hassler who hammered in a late equaliser off the underside of the bar.
We went out but I always remember that amazing atmosphere as a kid.
One of the more unusual ticket stubs

Remember the party in ma da,s hoose after feyenoord best them in 1970, was at every home game on the run to Barcelona, then being let down big time by my da after telling everyone I was going,paid for my gran, then he decided we weren't going. I'll never forgive him.

Red Star 1964? .Won 3-1.Just a 8 year old hooked by everything.Lights fans teams.And treated greatly by all around me after my Dad said it was my first European nights.Good ones bad night's,but we love them.

Inter Milan in 1984. I remember watching the away game on telly, although the only thing I can really recall is McCoist missing a sitter. I was at the home game, my first European game, and it was an amazing experience.

I was'nt at the match but,i remember the home game against Real Madrid being live on telly,which,in 1963,was quite a rarity.
We lost 1-0. The least said about the 2nd leg,the better.:mad:

remember going to watch us against draw Maribor. Without looking it up think it may of been 2012. Not our greatest European nights but amazing when your a kid.

Phoning up the ticket office and actually getting through and getting tickets for the game v Juventus. I'd also applied by sending a cheque and ended up with 7 tickets for the game :D :D

My first Euro game was a Fairs Cup tie at Ibrox v Cologne in 1967. It was my first game at Ibrox, although I'd been to a couple of games at Hampden before that. Don't remember much about it except we won 3-0.
Looking at the records the next game was the beam back from Elland Road v Leeds. There were big screens down the side of the pitch and at the Copland end. The picture was black and white and was projected from under the roof, the reason there was no screen at the Broomloan end.
There was a bigger crowd at the beam back.

Red Star Belgrade in 1964. European Cup tie which we won 3-1. I think we got a very late goal. They beat us 4-2 in the return leg and it went to a playoff at Highbury which we won 3-1.

Last edited:
1969 Fairs Cup 1/4 final vs Athletic Bilbao. We are 2 1 up with a couple of minutes to go and my old man decides to do the bus version of the subway loyal. We score another 2 before we've reached the end of Edmiston Drive.:mad:

Ososuna wasn't my first but round about the time I started attending and the first I remember how it was competed is anyone's guess. East Enclosure standing by the tunnel.

Back