First Europeam Memory

I remember my dad driving down to Largs am sure it was to watch the Leeds game. Think it was on Ulster TV and you could get it in largs. Remember wondering what the score was. After that have recollections of various moments from the group stage, in particular coming fronm 2 nil down against Marseille then Nisbets goal against brugge.

First European game I remember being at was 0-4 v Juventus.

Porto at Ibrox, John Greig’s last game in charge. 2-1 in the pouring rain. Late away goal conceded.
Same. Girvan Lighthoose sold it unfortunately.

I was 10 that night. My wee yin was 10 at this seasons Porto game so I just had to take her.

I was at European games prior to keiv game. That's the one that sticks out for me, best ever game at Ibrox as a teenager it stuck with me.

staying up late watching Rangers V Bayern Munich in 1989

pretty sure it was on Sportsnight or whatever the BBC programme was at that time

My 1st, Leeds utd March 1968 plus the return game on the beam back on the big screens.
80 thousand for my 1st game and nearly 50 k for the beam back.

The famous 1978 European Cup run, went to the home games against Juvenus, PSV & Cologne. Had the chance to go to Eindhoven with my Grandpa but at 12 decided not to lol ( he was a bit of an Alki and likely to have lost me over there)...That Juve team in particular had a frightening line up of Italian Internationals.
Same mate, I remember waiting for the highlights of the Cologne came sick with excitement.
So, so close.

Cannae remember my first one, must have been a lesser known outfit.

Best one I've been at? Rapid Vienna last season. Tears when we scored the third.

The famous 1978 European Cup run, went to the home games against Juvenus, PSV & Cologne. Had the chance to go to Eindhoven with my Grandpa but at 12 decided not to lol ( he was a bit of an Alki and likely to have lost me over there)...That Juve team in particular had a frightening line up of Italian Internationals.
I was put to bed early as a 7 year old and my mum was supposed to wake me up for the cologne away leg which was on scotsport.She said she woke me but I didn’t get up.I got up the next day freaking out and stomping about.My dad came in from nightshift howling at me missing the game.

Last edited:
My first game was Valletta 1984 I think.Cant mind a thing about the game although we scored a good few goals that night.Any info would be good.My dad was sick from work that night. ;)

First memory is Bobby Russell scoring in Eindhoven 78. First game I think was Cologne at Ibrox in 82

Dukla Prague 1981 at Ibrox. won 2-1 but we were already 3 0 down from the first leg.

Ilves tampere 1984 I think. Im sure the ticket stub is up my parents loft amongst the other several thousand items of memorabilia

My first European game was against Slavia Sofia 1967 ECWC semi final at Ibrox with my dad. He had only started taking me to games. I was 9 and to young to realise what winning that match meant.

78/79 season against Cologne at Ibrox. I think the game was nearly off due to snow. I had a srap book with a newspaper cutting in it.

1967 Slavia Sofia at Ibrox remember going to the game with my parents , remember my mum placing me on the wall at the Copland road end then her going back to stand with my dad, coming down at half time with something to eat and drink for me ( might have been a pie and Bovril ) Seeing Wee Willie Henderson scoring and winning 1 nil. Great memories.

Was taken to ajax super cup game ,then a young boys game,then twente enshede but my real regular european games started with juventus 78

First European game 92-93 and was a disappointing 2-2 draw with some French mob...Marseille I think. Amazing atmosphere when we came back, McSwegans goal is till etched in the memory, but looking back some of the players Marseille had that night were brilliant.

Same. Girvan Lighthoose sold it unfortunately.

I was 10 that night. My wee yin was 10 at this seasons Porto game so I just had to take her.
Same for me at the time. Yeah, did he not make a mess of a corner?

First memories were the cup winners cup run in 1971/72 when we won it but wasn’t at any of the games.
Attended the centenary game v Ajax in Jan 73 and then Ankaragucu in CWC in October 73. Not missed many home Euro games since then.

Davie Cooper v iiilves Tampere

First one for me also and have a memory of a 15yo me and my school pal playing under the road signs between the wee rangers and skeletors roundabout whilst waiting on his dad to pick us up after the game, we were there for a while, remember being in awe of coop, not just that game though but he was superb that evening.

1969 vs Gornik at Ibrox, Jim Baxter gave us hope but Lubanski scored a wonder goal that night

My first experience was when I was only 9 in a 1-0 win against Lillestrom of Norway in a preliminary round of the European Cup Winner's Cup in 1979.

My old man took me and all I can remember is standing at the bottom of Kingsway, Yoker waiting on a supporters bus which I believe would have been the old double decker 'Blue Star' from Drumchapel. It was a glorious sunny evening in August.

I had to google some info as I was too young but see that Gordon Smith scored the only goal in a 4-4-2. McCloy in goals with Cooper also playing. Big DJ was subbed on the 90' replaced by Chris Robertson who I have never heard of before.

JJ scoring against Bayern Leverkusen at Ibrox. I was at the PAOK and Beitar Jerusalem games but don’t remember anything about them.

1st game I was at was Lyngby at Ibrox in 1992. I remember the goals and Hateley being down injured for ages after scoring. I wasn't at the the game but remember my dad coming home from the Sparta Prague game and me not understanding why he looked so glum until he explained away goals to me.

First competitive Euro game was against Stade Rennes in 1971, a 1-0 win (another big game goal from wee Doddie) putting us through to the 2nd round & on the road to Barcelona. I was 13 and in the Main Stand with my Dad.
Was at a friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in 1970, which I think was to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1945 game. We won 1-0 big DJ scoring if I remember correctly.
Same here mate was in the main stand with my dad was there for every home tie, my dad went to Barcelona

My first every European match was the friendly against Moscow Dynamo at Ibrox in November 1970. Big DJ scoring the only goalnin front of 55000.

My first competitive game was in Oct 1973, a 4-0 victory over Turkish side Ankaragucu.

First game was semi v Eintracht,just remember crowd,and these Germans running up the park and scoring all the time was only 8 tho,but Sandy's goal v Bayern,was right behind the goal!One that I've never seen since was against Dortmund circa65/66 they had a few world cup players held/ emmerich etc,we won 2-1but they scored a very controversial goal I'm sure,sigi held had ran off pitch and I'm sure he stepped back on to score the goal,ah memories!thinking back to Juventus 2-0 wee Doddy. Clattering causio off the ball,then next 5minutes stuck to where the ref was,with causio beside him ,steam coming out his ears,hell bent on revenge!

pestered my old man something rotten when he came back from wolverhampton so he took me to the game v fiorentina
only remember the crowds the lights and the noise !

WATP

first memory is Kiev at Ibrox
2-0

a top notch kiev team well beaten
the Govan Stand practically doing the bouncy - the noise that night was incredible

Us

Woods
Nicholl
Phillips
McGregor
Butcher
Souness
Cohen
Francis
Durrant
McCoist
Falco