First European away game

Barcelona 1972.
My next five trips abroad were all Germany. Cologne (twice), Dusseldorf, Munchengladbach and Munich.
Was at koln 0-0, think we had 2 sent off.
Munchengladbach
Ajax in 96 pumped 4-1 by a class team but amazing trip.
Went with flight options and the guy from that company had a massive roll of tickets for the Ajax section. Basically a plane load in the wrong end. Unbelievable.
Was there also, what a trip and I mean trip..
Gascoigne sent off if my memory serves me right. Maybe another player also

Viktoria Zizkov in 2002. Fortunately it didn’t put me off and I have been to most games since.

Paris st German 2001. I was 19 and we won on penalties. Went on a supporters bus and had tickets for their end.

Day trip to Bochum v CSKA December 1992,off plane at Cologne bus transfer was waiting on the tarmac to take us to Bochum.Only 18 & thought I could drink,ended up hammered, it was a miracle I made it back to the bus after the game!

Copenhagen in 1992 for the 1-0 win against Lyngby.

Five of us drove from Edinburgh through Holland, stopped overnight in Northern Germany before heading up to Denmark. The journey home after the game was quite smooth until the driver got lost in Norfolk and couldn't get out of Norwich.

I also went in the car with my dad and brother to Bochum for the CSKA Moscow match which was one of the most surreal and eventful journeys I've ever been on.

Being a teacher now it's the one part of being a Rangers supporter I miss the most.

Lyngby in 92 for me, I happened to be on the bus that was found to be carrying quite a bit of Hash on it, we got into the stadium just in time to see Durrant's goal being replayed on the big screen :))

I've been 5 times since without a win!!

1981 v Dukla Prague, mental trip.
WATP

I went to that with the Kinning Park Loyal. And yes, it was a totally mental trip. Folk disappeared at various points en route - e.g. Antwerp, Nuremberg, Prague itself, and there were only about 3/4 or so of those who set out who got back to Glasgow on the bus. Just in time to beat the bead-rattlers 3-0 at Ibrox on the Saturday.

One of those who got lost on the trip was a young kid from Inverness whose mother had entrusted him to my care, on which point I failed dismally. He turned up in our regular drinking den about an hour before that OF match on the Saturday, having jumped trains most of the way from Nuremburg back to Glasgow. Thank fück for that, as I was dreading telling his mother I had last seen him entering a brothel in Nuremberg and had never seen him again after that!

Happy days!

Cologne 83 10M Masonic think it was the only Europe bus they ever ran gubbed 5-0 :eek:

My first euro trip as well....think it was Kevin Drinkells last game?

Bus journey from hell on the way back, and it broke down near Carlisle....

Munich '89. Drive down to London coincided with the final day of The Ryder Cup on the radio then the trip coincided with Oktoberfest (even though it was September!). Drew 0-0 after getting pumped 3-1 at Ibrox by a very good team. Sure Terry Butcher played up front in Munich.

Molde 2006
Was a great trip we flew Newcastle to Bergen then a small propeller plane to molde the bold Jimmy Nail was on the plane to Bergen sitting in the front seat.as all the bears got pissed on the flight we all had our Lacoste trainers off waving them in the air singing crocodile shoes he was absolutely raging it was hilarious

Parma 98
Night out in Milan before match day.
Drove to Glasgow and queued in the snow at the travel agent in Shawlands to book up.

Reactions: SSR
Leverkusen 1 Rangers 2 1998
Went on KP bus , usual drunken madness. Remember the bus being stopped somewhere by the police. We'd ransacked a petrol station and coppers made us get off the bus while they checked it. Not sure if they actually took anything off
Porto away 1983 on the Edinburgh UJ bus. Same as you mate, got stopped by the polis in France after a service station was ransacked :)) 2 Days each way of mayhem.

Away to Dortmund in 1995.

Absolutely baltic!

2-2 on a concrete pitch.

Over 3000 bears had gone for a meaningless game.

Also PSG Dec 2001.
17hours on the bus.
We had one 60min tape to play. Around 45min of which was the 'roll of the dead'.

Had a ticket for the Rangers end but couldnt get in due to the amount of Bears who had purchased at HMV for the PSG end but went into the Rangers end.

Police refused us entry as it was full.
Had to literally break in to the PSG end. Watched from opposite the tunnel right up the back with about 50 - 100 bears.

Still have the full ticket untouched and intact

remember all the official ticketed fans were held back in a street near the ground, then once the police let us go the Rangers end was closed. Ended up in the press area to watch game.

My first was Barcelona 1972 and the total cost for 2 nights in Lloret de Mar.ticket for match and transport to and from airport-resort-Barca was £36 and was a 17th birthday gift from my parents..
Quite a good one I think.

Porto game in 1983.
Traveled by bus without a toilet!
Got beat 1-0, bus windows tanned after the game, got back on the Saturday morning and we got beat by the mentally challengeds in the afternoon!!

Best away support bar Manchester I have ever seen unbelievable the amount of bears at that game. I have never felt so gutted as I did after that game , Mols would have been a world beater if that hadn’t had happened to him.

Unbelievable support, pissing down & flute band playing the tunes in the square. Mayhem!

My old man had got hold of a few bags of Deutschmark coins in his work, should have seen the barmaids face when emptied bag after bag on the table for every round :). We gave a homeless guy the bag of coins we didn’t spend & he was delighted

Sturm Graz in 2000

Massive anti climax losing two nil after scoring five without reply in the home tie. Defeat that night sent us out of the competition.

15hr drive from Putney to Kirky the next day, horrendous tailback on the M6 completely fùcked us.

Would do it all again tomorrow though.

Back