First goal

For free kicks like that id put folk on the posts. I know it plays everyone onside but it’s the risk you take

I as
Also was sure trent would go for that corner and Alan would not get over for it
Poor positioning led to the goal imo but Alan saved us from a drubbing
Also Davies gave away the free kick needlessly
But again we contribute massively to our own downfall in losing the early goal

I was shouting at the TV that McGregor was to far over, no doubt I will take pelters but you knew where Arnold was going for
Exactly.
The Liverpool players at side of wall obviously a decoy. Anyone that watches games outwith SPFL knew that.
Its basics. McGregor was covering neither side.

Am not being wise after the event but the gap McGregor was leaving as the free kick was being lined up was crying out for someone on that post.
Unless we had someone hanging from the post then I am not sure it gets saved.

Exactly.
The Liverpool players at side of wall obviously a decoy. Anyone that watches games outwith SPFL knew that.
It might be “basics” but it’s also true that the ball was put perfectly into what is, I believe, referred to as the postage stamp.
It was an absolute beauty of a free kick and if homework was necessary it wasn’t only on the keeper’s position, it was also on the dangers of giving away stupid fouls in key areas.

Am not being wise after the event but the gap McGregor was leaving as the free kick was being lined up was crying out for someone on that post.

Old school loyal agrees with that and hate losing a goal at a corner when someone on the post could easily prevent it.

That all being said it was postage stamped and only someone on ladders may have had a chance of stopppng it.

Let's face it , it was a gr8 free kick , if it had been Tav or Borna scoring we would have been raving about it , Trent Arnold is gr8 from that distance

I was shouting at the TV that McGregor was to far over, no doubt I will take pelters but you knew where Arnold was going for
Of course, but very few players in the world will hit that spot.
TAA ckukd try that free lock another 10 times and not hit that spot.
Itbwas the walls job to cover that side, McGregor moves over more then he leaves his side exposed.

Nothing to do with the wall or McGregor.

The issue was giving away a needless free kick 25 yards out to a team with world class free kick takers.

Similar with the penalty, was a needless challenge.

Despite that, I thought King and Davies had decent games. And as much as they were head and shoulders above us for 75 minutes, it is still galling to lose due to giving away a couple of needless fouls.

Still pissed off with the team selection though, not to mention the lack of zip and intensity we had middle to front. As feared, we showed them too much respect.

Tav stuck a similar one v Livingston to win the game.
If McGregor moves any closer to his right and the ball gets chipped to the far post, he gets criticised for standing where the wall was covering.

McGregor was a hero last night. No question.

At the free kick however I thought he stood too far off his line meaning he struggled to get enough height to save it. It wasn’t quite postage stamp and went in at head height so a half step back towards his line and I reckon he saves it.

As I said, matters not a lot as he saved us from a pumping otherwise

Mcgregor was close to getting a hand to it and just my opinion but if he was a step to his right I think he saves it
The fact Mcgregor is basically running across his line and then dives shows he was too far from the post imo.

Probably wouldn't have saved it anyway right enough :D

Jesus Christ. Alexander Arnold would have struggled to place that free kick better if he'd picked the ball up, carried it to the six yard box and thrown the ball into the net. The combined forces of McGregor, Goram and Klos weren't saving that hit.

There was a push on one of out players prior to that phase of play that was allowed to be played on from. That may have changed the play and they wouldn't have got the free kick.

All ifs and buts.

They scored 2 we didn't.

There was a push on one of out players prior to that phase of play that was allowed to be played on from. That may have changed the play and they wouldn't have got the free kick.

All ifs and buts.

They scored 2 we didn't.
the one by Van Dijk on Tillman? yeah I saw that I was surprised a free kick wasn't given it was a blatant push

Same goal we lost from a free-kick against Slavia Prague at Ibrox 18 months ago. You can’t have someone on the post at those free-kicks as it means the opposition crowd the keeper. However, I was screaming at McGregor to take a one yard step further to his right to close the space. Alexander-Arnold takes that shot every time. Last Saturday v Brighton the keeper saved it.

I did at first but he kept it in. However Tav expected it to go out and gave up. He should have totalled the Liverpool player into touch

Too many of our players are guilty of this, Lundstram done it a couple of times too, assumed where the ball was going, and then gave up when he realised it wasn't.

Far too many didn't have the urgency, or forward thinking.

For free kicks like that id put folk on the posts. I know it plays everyone onside but it’s the risk you take
You'd then have Liverpool players jumping around right in front of the keeper, don't think that's the answer.

Was a bit of a silly foul to give away but you have to give credit to TAA. Was a peach of a free kick.

Lev yasin nor Gordon banks or the GOALIE was saving the free kick outstanding hit
It wasn’t even in the top corner? It was about 1 foot below the crossbar. McGregor would have saved it if he took one step to the right. His positioning was wrong. I said it to my son before it was even struck.

It was a great strike but a GK positioned correctly would have saved it.

Exactly.

That's why the wall was on that side. It was going to take a perfect free kick to beat McGregor from there and that's what it was.

Back