First Nike kit (McEwan's lager) - deadstock

My brother came home one Saturday with a catalogue produced by Nike with all the kits for the following season. This catalogue had every team associated with Nike. It covered all sport who Nike supplied to. Skipping through the pages as you do, low and behold the new Rangers kit for the new season, and the away one. Caaaching!! Straight on the phone to both the Daily Record and the Sun I let them know I had photos of the new kit. Both of them wanted to meet me right away. The Daily Record wanted to send a guy up to me the following day (Sunday) but I was working. The Sun however wanted to meet same day. The pulled a guy who was covering a wedding in Brechin to meet me in the Asda carpark in Portlethen (all very cloak and dagger stuff). I told the guy I'd show him the second kit and then we could discuss swapping this catalogue for some cash. The guy was straight on his phone to head office telling his boss this was legit. After a bit of negotiation with me using the Daily Record as a bargaining tool a price was agreed on me selling the catalogue to him.
The following day I was travelling south doing a job to Manchester and stopped at Hamilton services, bought a New of the World and was shocked to see a world exclusive with pictures of both kits splashed over the back pages. It also said a guy called David Murray was livid at the kit being leaked.
Cheque book journalism at it finest!

Great story. Much did you get?

My brother came home one Saturday with a catalogue produced by Nike with all the kits for the following season. This catalogue had every team associated with Nike. It covered all sport who Nike supplied to. Skipping through the pages as you do, low and behold the new Rangers kit for the new season, and the away one. Caaaching!! Straight on the phone to both the Daily Record and the Sun I let them know I had photos of the new kit. Both of them wanted to meet me right away. The Daily Record wanted to send a guy up to me the following day (Sunday) but I was working. The Sun however wanted to meet same day. The pulled a guy who was covering a wedding in Brechin to meet me in the Asda carpark in Portlethen (all very cloak and dagger stuff). I told the guy I'd show him the second kit and then we could discuss swapping this catalogue for some cash. The guy was straight on his phone to head office telling his boss this was legit. After a bit of negotiation with me using the Daily Record as a bargaining tool a price was agreed on me selling the catalogue to him.
The following day I was travelling south doing a job to Manchester and stopped at Hamilton services, bought a New of the World and was shocked to see a world exclusive with pictures of both kits splashed over the back pages. It also said a guy called David Murray was livid at the kit being leaked.
Cheque book journalism at it finest!

How much did you get off them roughly ?

I got the wee man a two year olds sized kit of the famous strip above (our best Nike one IMO).

Everything was original, tags the lot. You could even tell that it had been in storage for 20 odd years. The stale smell of the strip was a dead give away. Took loads of washes to get rid of it.

i remember the rangers shell suits getting sold in what every woman wants

Decent pick up if they are genuine

I have almost every home top since I was born (88) Only ones I am missing 88 and the 9IAR top.

If anyone happens to feel like donating any of these two tops to their old pal ForzaLaudrup it would be greatly appreciate haha

To unashamedly brag, I've still got my original one in excellent condition.

Got it signed by JG & RG at their "an evening with" a few months ago.

I was about 11 when it was released. I thought Nike was the coolest brand on the planet and absolutely couldn't wait for it come out. Don't think I've ever been so excited about a kit.

Unfortunately their associationwith the poets has tainted my opinion of them.

Mum just handed me back five strips from that era (thought they’d been lost).

Red/white diagonal away (same as Liverpool’s green/white)
8IAR home shirt
Nike home jersey ( I think the one being discussed in this thread)
Nike White away jersey (with black stripes on lower half, around ‘98)
9IAR home shirt.

Chuffed to still have them, and they mostly still fit.

Cult Kits and CFS are legit outfits as far as I am aware so it’s a bit of a poor show from those claiming they are at it.
Regarding the missing dri-fit logos etc no doubt it’s a factory mistake due to Nike rushing them out. Anyone remember the Umbro “Monaco” away strip that was rushed out with the wrong sleeves?

Any idea where they were stashed for 20 years? And how they were found etc?

Would make a good news story.

Just an update as I bought the last one on Cult Kits before the sleeve issues was noticed.

Asked the question on twitter to them and didn’t really get an answer on what was on the sleeve - Nike marking per their website photo or the dri-fit logo as it was made and issued at the time.

Well that’s it just delivered today and came in the original Nike packaging, had the labels still attached, smelt like it had been in a warehouse for 20 years and importantly had “dri-fit” on the left sleeve.

The packaging, labelling etc was so obviously legit even if It had a different sleeve logo I would be confident it was still the real deal. Dealt with those strips everyday of my life for nearly two/three years and think I could spot a fake easily enough.

Another retro ticked of the list.

Just an update as I bought the last one on Cult Kits before the sleeve issues was noticed.

Asked the question on twitter to them and didn’t really get an answer on what was on the sleeve - Nike marking per their website photo or the dri-fit logo as it was made and issued at the time.

Well that’s it just delivered today and came in the original Nike packaging, had the labels still attached, smelt like it had been in a warehouse for 20 years and importantly had “dri-fit” on the left sleeve.

The packaging, labelling etc was so obviously legit even if It had a different sleeve logo I would be confident it was still the real deal. Dealt with those strips everyday of my life for nearly two/three years and think I could spot a fake easily enough.

Another retro ticked of the list.
Same as mine as I mentioned earlier in the thread mate. Delighted with it and at £45 an absolute bargain.

I mind I got my delivery from rangers 2 days b4 it was released to the public. I had pre-ordered it but someone must’ve messed up along the way as it came 48 hours early.
All my pals (we were about 13/14 to) saying it must be a faker lol.
Was the real deal of course

Fairly certain I have seen the player issue from this era advertised as NOT having the dry fit logo. To further throw a spanner in the works.

Yep, my mate worked in Greaves back in the day and someone from the club dropped a No.12 shirt in to him. He’s one of them and gave it to me and it never had the dry fit logo (still got it).

Back