First Nike kit (McEwan's lager) - deadstock

Est1872

Official Ticketer
I've seen a lot of these cropping up online over the past week or so. Supposedly brand new with tags and sealed. Some of the usual retro kit sites have them.

Anyone know the backstory? Where the hell have hundreds of Rangers tops been lying about since 1997?

Curious and skeptical.

EG7qs4j.jpg

I spoke to a guy who specializes in dead stock stuff and he confirmed they were legit. It does seem odd. I seen a top and only difference was that the dri fit text was different. Everything else looked legit and quality was exact same as others.

I stoated about Ibiza looking in near enough every sports shop looking for that top when it was first released. But I did find it! Only for it to be absolutely massive on me. Still bought it.

That’s pretty much my only good memory of that kit. Wasn’t the luckiest for us* but it’s still one of my favourites.

* in the first season

Last edited:
I stoated about Ibiza looking in near enough every sports shop looking for that top when it was first released. But I did find it! Only for it to be absolutely massive on me. Still bought it.

That’s pretty much my only good memory of that kit. Wasn’t the luckiest for us but it’s still one of my favourites.
Emmm we won the treble in it.

The one on Cultkits only in size Medium (but have three in stock - suspicious), and the left arm on the original had ‘Dri Fit’ on it and not whatever is on the Cultkits version.

Not sure it’s legit bois.

What season was that again? 1998? One of the very few I think I didn’t buy for some reason which escapes me now . And I was a kit fanatic all the way back to 1980.

My mate in the retro football jerseys game says this is 100% legitimate find and retro rangers will have paid a small fortune to take most of that stock of them.

I worked in the rangers shop at the time that jersey was out and literally everything on the top looks absolutely legit apart from dri fit not being on the arm. I’m guessing its early stock as there were plenty mistakes with Nike stock especially when rushing them out.

They are legit. Mine has dri fit on it. Compared it to my mates that hes had since the time and its identical.

Cult kits are a reputable site theres no way they're selling fake or remakes.
£100 brand new. Very tempted. It’s an absolute belter.
I paid £45 quid mate that's what they originally had the 50 shirts up for. I posted a thread on them but I think it was chopped.

My mate in the retro football jerseys game says this is 100% legitimate find and retro rangers will have paid a small fortune to take most of that stock of them.

I worked in the rangers shop at the time that jersey was out and literally everything on the top looks absolutely legit apart from dri fit not being on the arm. I’m guessing its early stock as there were plenty mistakes with Nike stock especially when rushing them out.
Fairly certain I have seen the player issue from this era advertised as NOT having the dry fit logo. To further throw a spanner in the works.

They are legit. Mine has dri fit on it. Compared it to my mates that hes had since the time and its identical.

I paid £45 quid mate that's what they originally had the 50 shirts up for. I posted a thread on them but I think it was chopped.
Where’s the link?

Had that shirt at the time. Gave it away to a neighbour along with a bunch of other old shirts from the 9IAR era including the purple top, blue and orange vertical stripes, red and white quarters, the Gaza’s home 8IAR top....

Some clear out that was!

Can’t find them on his website or Twitter !? Would absolutely love one. One of my first kits

He deleted the tweet I screenshotted for whatever reason.

They are on Classic Football Shirt for a couple of hundred quid...

Fairly certain I have seen the player issue from this era advertised as NOT having the dry fit logo. To further throw a spanner in the works.

A quick google search shows Amato (one of the few players who didn’t wear it long sleeve and wasn’t Amo with the armband) with the players version with the dri fit on the left arm.

I’m sticking with factory error. Production was outsourced to Scottish factories and we had hundreds of them back with things like the size badge on the wrong side etc. Hilarious amount of errors in Nike tops around them.

A quick google search shows Amato (one of the few players who didn’t wear it long sleeve and wasn’t Amo with the armband) with the players version with the dri fit on the left arm.

I’m sticking with factory error. Production was outsourced to Scottish factories and we had hundreds of them back with things like the size badge on the wrong side etc. Hilarious amount of errors in Nike tops around them.

Any idea where the deadstock find came from? Love the idea of a bunch of these just sitting in a cupboard somewhere and someone giving them away not realising they could make an absolute fortune off them. They are going for £100 - £250 each!

I still have mine, however my top has the embroidery under the badge as it was the strip we wore when we were cheated eh defeated by Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final at the piggery in 98.

You bought from Cult Kits and it has the dri fit logo on it rather than the black logo in their website pics? Very odd!

Means nothing mate. I still have a couple of 100% fake international kits from way ago and you could not tell the difference.

However, people still won't be able to tell the difference, so if it floats your boat, knock yourself out.

I still have the original. I was a bit disappointed in the collar quality TBF :)

Loved this strip. Some wan### on a moped rode past me in ibiza and grabbed it from my hand. To say I was raging was an understatement

Still got my old mans original top which is in very decent order and fits me now.

Would love to get my hands on the Adidas 92-94 home top for my collection.

Go on.....
My brother came home one Saturday with a catalogue produced by Nike with all the kits for the following season. This catalogue had every team associated with Nike. It covered all sport who Nike supplied to. Skipping through the pages as you do, low and behold the new Rangers kit for the new season, and the away one. Caaaching!! Straight on the phone to both the Daily Record and the Sun I let them know I had photos of the new kit. Both of them wanted to meet me right away. The Daily Record wanted to send a guy up to me the following day (Sunday) but I was working. The Sun however wanted to meet same day. The pulled a guy who was covering a wedding in Brechin to meet me in the Asda carpark in Portlethen (all very cloak and dagger stuff). I told the guy I'd show him the second kit and then we could discuss swapping this catalogue for some cash. The guy was straight on his phone to head office telling his boss this was legit. After a bit of negotiation with me using the Daily Record as a bargaining tool a price was agreed on me selling the catalogue to him.
The following day I was travelling south doing a job to Manchester and stopped at Hamilton services, bought a New of the World and was shocked to see a world exclusive with pictures of both kits splashed over the back pages. It also said a guy called David Murray was livid at the kit being leaked.
Cheque book journalism at it finest!

Cult Kits and CFS are legit outfits as far as I am aware so it’s a bit of a poor show from those claiming they are at it.
Regarding the missing dri-fit logos etc no doubt it’s a factory mistake due to Nike rushing them out. Anyone remember the Umbro “Monaco” away strip that was rushed out with the wrong sleeves?

Back