First real test on Thursday - pick the team

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Pick the team you would start but also add any changes you think SG will choose to his starting line up....

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Halliday

SG will pick Barisic but I think Halliday has been better so far. Might not be a popular call but AH effort / workrate and defending has been better

Jack
Davis
Arfield

SG could possibly replace Arfield with Aribro due to Arfield scheduled game time after int duty. Aribo unlucky not to start due to Davis and Arfield being excellent so far.

Jones
Morelos
Stewart

With Ojo playing full game and not really performing I think Stewart will get the nod. SG has a wonderful problem with Defoe and Morelos, both banging in the goals , whoever misses out will be unlucky

Pick the team you would start but also add any changes you think SG will choose to his starting line up....

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Halliday

SG will pick Barisic but I think Halliday has been better so far. Might not be a popular call but AH effort / workrate and defending has been better

Jack
Davis
Arfield

SG could possibly replace Arfield with Aribro due to Arfield scheduled game time after int duty. Aribo unlucky not to start due to Davis and Arfield being excellent so far.

Jones
Morelos
Stewart

With Ojo playing full game and not really performing I think Stewart will get the nod. SG has a wonderful problem with Defoe and Morelos, both banging in the goals , whoever misses out will be unlucky

McGregor

Tav goldson edmundson barasic

Davis Jack aribo

Stewart morelos jones

Second centre-back is a real toss of the coin for me. I'd probably just edge it to Katic for his goal threat - though he's done himself no favours today with his part in the goal today. I'd also go with Aribo ahead of Arfield - for this match - due to Scotty still catching up on pre-season. Ojo or Stewart the only other real 'decision' for me. We will make full use of our subs, so expect Arfield, Defoe and Stewart to come on.

So:

--------McGregor-----------
Tav-----Goldson----Katic----Barisic
Jack----Davis----Aribo
Ojo--------Morelos-------Jones

Foderingham

Tav
Barasic
Goldson
Katic

Jack
Davis
Aribo

Arfield
Jones
Morelos

Subs: McGregor, Stewart, Docherty, Edmundson, Defoe, Ojo, Halliday

I don’t think it will be a test, million miles away from the last team and manager that played them-I predict 3-0 to is

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barisic, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Jones, Morelos, Arfield

Tough choice for me between Katic and Edmundson as both have had decent pre season, but I’d choose Katic due to his understanding with Goldson.

I have a tiny suspicion that Wes may get the nod too.

Last edited:
Gerrard normally starts with the team who will play in the following game in the friendlies if its around Europe etc so I fully expect the same team that started today to go again on Thursday. Goldson will obviously come in if he's fit and it'll be really interesting to see who plays out of Katic and Edmundson.

Gerrard normally starts with the team who will play in the following game in the friendlies if its around Europe etc so I fully expect the same team that started today to go again on Thursday. Goldson will obviously come in if he's fit and it'll be really interesting to see who plays out of Katic and Edmundson.

If it was based solely on pre season so far it would probably be Edmundson, but thats maybe because he’s new and is exceeding expectations that were probably low due to his background.

If it was based solely on pre season so far it would probably be Edmundson, but thats maybe because he’s new and is exceeding expectations that were probably low due to his background.

I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far. Looks a steady young player.

Gerrard isn't happy with the use of the ball for Blackburn's goal today either which Katic was right at the heart of so it will be interesting to see what happens on Thursday.

McGregor
Tavernier
Katic
Goldson
Barisic
Jack
Davis
Aribo
Arfield
Ojo
Morelos

They are ranked 326th in the euro club rankings. If we had a true ranking we would be around mid 40s which is where the mutants are ranked.

It's no test at all.

I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far. Looks a steady young player.

Gerrard isn't happy with the use of the ball for Blackburn's goal today either which Katic was right at the heart of so it will be interesting to see what happens on Thursday.

I also think he was having a wee dig at Kamara who was caught being a bit too casual a couple of times leading to danger.

Kamara is a cracking player when he’s fully on it, but can be too laid back when not fully focused, which Gerrard won’t stand for.

I wouldn't complain if Edmundson started as I've been very impressed with him. Dominant in the air, reads the game well, moves the ball around with pace and comfortable with either foot. I think he's misplaced 1 pass all pre season. Constantly communicating with his team mates as well.

I could see Halliday coming in for Barišić. Again, no complaints as Halliday has been solid and linked up well down the left side.

Stewart was good the other night, Jones has done well so again a toss up between those two. Stewart looking slightly slicker for me.

I guess it depends if Arfield is ready to start and if he is, it's a no brainer.

Morelos over Defoe for me. Morelos just gives us that bit more IMO.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Jack Davis Aribo
Ojo Morelos Arfield

Subs: Fod, Kamara, Defoe, Jones, Edmundson, Halliday, Stewart

I’m struggling to pick my strongest team, so can you imagine how Stevie G must be feeling. What a headache it must be to have. Strongest squad we’ve had in a number of years! Imagine we manage to get Kent back as well :cool:

McGregor

Tavernier Goldson Katic Barisic

Davis Jack Aribo

Arfield Jones

Morelos
There is part of me that would give Morelos a deeper role, but it’s highly unlikely given we’ve not tried this in friendlies. This would be my XI in the current system.

Hope the tie is over after Thursday, genuinely do mate, irrespective of the result we shouldn't just assume we are going to pump anyone.

I'm assuming that our squad are going to going into this game with the correct attitude and application, so there for can also assume they will thump a team of part timers from a minnow nation in football terms.

I'm a fan. I can assume that.

It's when the players assume that, that we have problems.

Do you see this management team allowing this group of players to make that assumption? Nope neither do I. So I will assume away thanks.

They are ranked 326th in the euro club rankings. If we had a true ranking we would be around mid 40s which is where the mutants are ranked.

It's no test at all.

I’m pretty confident we will win both legs - but it won’t be a pumping of the St Josephs variety. Progres have done fairly well in Europe these last 2 seasons and could easily have been the team we played in the play-off round last season instead of Ufa. They lost out to a last-minute goal.

I’d be delighted to win 3-0 on Thursday to ‘kill’ the tie but I’d settle for 2-0 as being ‘enough’. I hope the players don’t go out thinking it will be a stroll in the park - and I’m sure Gerrard won’t allow them to do so.

In the last few years they’ve played 14 matches in the Europa League, starting with the two against us. They haven’t conceded more than 2 goals in ANY of those 14 matches. Opposition includes Rangers, AEL Limassol, Gabala, Honved Budapest, Ufa, Cork and Cardiff Met. Some shite, some half decent.

Last edited:
It'll be stuffy and if we don't score an early goal it could be a little closer than we'd like.

I'd still like to experiment a little though:

Wes

Tav
Katic
Goldson (if fit) otherwise Edmundson
Halliday

Davis
Doc
Aribo

Arfield
Alfie
Stewart

2-0

I honestly think that first game with Progres has really altered reality in peoples’ minds.

This won’t be a test, they’re part timers from Luxembourg and we’ll absolutely hump them.

Today’s game was harder than Thursday will be and I’d expect a mixture of our reserves and unders to wipe the floor with them, never mind the first team.

McGregor
Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Arfield Davis Aribo
Ojo Morelos Jones

Subs: Fod, Edmundson, Halliday, Jack, Kamara, Stewart, Defoe

Back