First real test on Thursday - pick the team

I honestly think that first game with Progres has really altered reality in peoples’ minds.

This won’t be a test, they’re part timers from Luxembourg and we’ll absolutely hump them.

Today’s game was harder than Thursday will be and I’d expect a mixture of our reserves and unders to wipe the floor with them, never mind the first team.
Its really not a test at all. It's on a par with the Oxford game.

I edited this into an earlier post but will repeat it here. We have no need to fear Progres and I expect to win both legs. However, it will be far from a St Joseph’s or Oxford United style stroll in the park. In the last few years they’ve played 14 matches in the Europa League, starting with the two against us. They haven’t conceded more than 2 goals in ANY of those 14 matches. Opposition includes Rangers, AEL Limassol, Gabala, Honved Budapest, Ufa, Cork and Cardiff Met. Some shite, some half decent

I edited this into an earlier post but will repeat it here. We have no need to fear Progres and I expect to win both legs. However, it will be far from a St Joseph’s or Oxford United style stroll in the park. In the last few years they’ve played 14 matches in the Europa League, starting with the two against us. They haven’t conceded more than 2 goals in ANY of those 14 matches. Opposition includes Rangers, AEL Limassol, Gabala, Honved Budapest, Ufa, Cork and Cardiff Met. Some shite, some half decent

They took UFA to extra time last year (I think) and we had a bit of trouble against UFA, so I wouldn’t be as dismissive of them as many folk are being.

They took UFA to extra time last year (I think) and we had a bit of trouble against UFA, so I wouldn’t be as dismissive of them as many folk are being.

Exactly. It took a last minute goal to knock them out - or we’d have been playing them last season.

I'm assuming that our squad are going to going into this game with the correct attitude and application, so there for can also assume they will thump a team of part timers from a minnow nation in football terms.

I'm a fan. I can assume that.

It's when the players assume that, that we have problems.

Do you see this management team allowing this group of players to make that assumption? Nope neither do I. So I will assume away thanks.
I'm assuming that our squad are going to going into this game with the correct attitude and application, so there for can also assume they will thump a team of part timers from a minnow nation in football terms.

I'm a fan. I can assume that.

It's when the players assume that, that we have problems.

Do you see this management team allowing this group of players to make that assumption? Nope neither do I. So I will assume away thanks.

I reckon we will win 3 maybe 4 nil. I just don't assume anything, only a fool would.....

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barasic

Davis
Kamara
Aribo

Ojo
Arfield

Morelos

Subs : Foderingham, Edmundson, Docherty, Defoe, Jones, Stewart and Jack

Dont think Helander will be involved after only playing 30 minutes today.

McGregor
Tavernier, Goldson, Katic, Barisic
Davis, Kamara, Aribo
Ojo, Morelos, Arfield

Foderingham, Helander, Halliday, Jack, Stewart, Jones, Defoe

I really hope it’s not much of a test tbh despite what happened last time. If it’s another struggle I will be worried about us for the season.

Team I would go for is:

McGregor
Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barasic

Kamara
Davis
Aribo

Arfield
Morelos
Ojo

Pick the team you would start but also add any changes you think SG will choose to his starting line up....

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Halliday

SG will pick Barisic but I think Halliday has been better so far. Might not be a popular call but AH effort / workrate and defending has been better

Jack
Davis
Arfield

SG could possibly replace Arfield with Aribro due to Arfield scheduled game time after int duty. Aribo unlucky not to start due to Davis and Arfield being excellent so far.

Jones
Morelos
Stewart

With Ojo playing full game and not really performing I think Stewart will get the nod. SG has a wonderful problem with Defoe and Morelos, both banging in the goals , whoever misses out will be unlucky
Not starting aribo :rolleyes: thank god your not our manager that’s all I will say

I honestly think that first game with Progres has really altered reality in peoples’ minds.

This won’t be a test, they’re part timers from Luxembourg and we’ll absolutely hump them.

Today’s game was harder than Thursday will be and I’d expect a mixture of our reserves and unders to wipe the floor with them, never mind the first team.

Beat at home by a league of Ireland team last week. I'd be expecting a similar score to St Joseph's and a similar level of opposition tbh.

Shagger
(Obviously)

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
(I think the only big decision there is Katic or Edmundson. I’ve been very impressed with the new guy but Katic shades it on European experience. Can’t really see anyone else getting the left back role when playing at Ibrox)

Davis Kamara Aribo.
(Think Davis and Aribo are nailed on starters. Third position is between Jack and Kamara. I’ve been more impressed than I expected with Jack playing further forward this year and wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting but Kamara edges it for me).

Ojo Arfield.
(Arfield is the best inside forward at the club. And he plays better in that role than in midfield. Ojo was acquired as a starter in my opinion and has looked the best of our wingers in the games I have seen, though i’ve not watched today’s yet. Stewart can do clever flicks but is not very fast and did not look that great at beating his opponents. Could surprise me but think he’s going to be second string. Jones might get the nod but think Ojo will be chosen).

Morelos.
Defoe is an amazing player. Morelos is just a little bit better.

I’d go with:

McGregor

Tav
Goldson
Katic
Barisic

Arfield
Davis
Aribo

Jones
Ojo

Morelos

I watched the full 90 with them against Cardiff Met and they were fucking horrendous.

I believe they’ve lost some players - Ufa signed one or two of their best players after that game - but I’m expecting at least 4-0 on aggregate over the two legs.

if I were SG, I'd start with the 11 he intends to use at Kilmarnock.
He absolutely has to. Let’s get a settled line up ASAP. The odd change here and there, but 7 or 8 nailed down. Tinkering does us no favours. Match fitness most important for say the top 20 players. After that bounce matches can cover it, or reserves appearances.

I watched the full 90 with them against Cardiff Met and they were fucking horrendous.

I believe they’ve lost some players - Ufa signed one or two of their best players after that game - but I’m expecting at least 4-0 on aggregate over the two legs.

Ah, now that sounds eminently more sensible. As I said, I expect to win both legs so two 2-0 wins isn’t out of the question. Reading the comments from some they are expecting a St Joseph’s style 10-0 mauling. I consider that highly unlikely. As a very minimum, Progres will be far more organised, determined and used to playing a (slightly) better standard of opposition on a weekly basis.

I think I'd go with:

McGregor

Aribo Davis Docherty

Arfield Morelos Jones

That would be mine too. I don't think we need a defensive player in Jack against Proges. Davis playing deep and Docherty doing the so called donkey work in this kind of game.

McGregor

Jack Davis Aribo

Stewart Arfield

Defoe/Morelos

Halliday could well start ahead of Barisic and Ojo may start ahead of Stewart.

Stewart has that little bit of craft to open up deep lying defences though, as we saw with the 6th goal last Thursday, so he may just get the nod in this game.

Simply cannot make my mind up between Morelos and Defoe.

It's a great problem to have the 2 best strikers in the league to choose from.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Katic, Barisic, Davis, Jack, Aribo, Jones, Morelos, Arfield

Tough choice for me between Katic and Edmundson as both have had decent pre season, but I’d choose Katic due to his understanding with Goldson.

I have a tiny suspicion that Wes may get the nod too.

This is my team to start also.

Would be good if wes was given the nod.

..................McGregor............
Tav....Goldson....Katic.....Barasic
....................Davis..................
...........Kamara....Aribo.........
Stewart.....Morelos.....Jones.....

Back