"Fit and Proper" Martindale

TNT

Official Ticketer
Just listening to the Livingston manager being interviewed on Radio Shortbread.

Never knew he had to go through a "Fit and Proper" person meeting.

Guess when it's meant to be?

Wednesday at 3:30. Guess who they play on Wednesday night?

Unreal!

He did say that he was hoping it would be postponed.

We can all have our views on his past. But, who are the SFA to put him out the game - while playing a baseball bat wielding thug and a racist in the National team?

Unreal!

We can all have our views on his past. But, who are the SFA to put him out the game - while playing a baseball bat wielding thug and a racist in the National team?

100% on the money.

Unreal!

Exactly, Griffiths, Declan Gallagher, Lennon the bigot threatening to knife his bit on the side, McGowan sentenced repeatedly for assaulting cops and spitting on bouncers all involved in Scottish football. They even gave Malky Mackay a job ffs.

Exactly, Griffiths, Declan Gallagher, Lennon the bigot threatening to knife his bit on the side, McGowan sentenced repeatedly for assaulting cops and spitting on bouncers all involved in Scottish football. They even gave Malky Mackay a job ffs.
I forgot about Malky. I was thinking Griffiths.

Malky Mackay - who no English club would touch. SFA? "In ye come Malky Bhoy!"

Unreal!

He did say that he was hoping it would be postponed.

The timing of the interview is no coincidence.
They'll try anything to help their rancid team.
Hope Livi finish them off, today and Wednesday.
They've committed to keeping Neic for the season and the rabid hordes will implode further, if that's possible.

I’m struggling to see why it wasn’t an issue when he was Gary Holts assistant, but now he is the manager it’s a problem.

Reactions: TNT
Just after the interview Tom English is wanting to give the guy a second chance yet was desperate for Dave King to fail the fit and proper person test.

Meant to say too - he had to go through the same process last year and failed the fit and proper test.

I never knew about that either.

Meant to say too - he had to go through the same process last year and failed the fit and proper test.

I never knew about that either.
So he was assistant to Holt but failed a fit and proper test......but has been in charge for the last 8 games or so ?

Doesn’t deserve a second chance at all. Should be treated like the vermin he is
I wouldn't necessarily agree with this statement, but didn't they just discover more assets that he didn't declare years ago to be confiscated as proceeds of crime? Thought I read that last week?

Either way he should be given a chance, but lets not compare him to people with much lesser offences. This guy helped sell millions of pounds of Class A drugs which will have caused untold misery. If he's granted his licence then he should think himself lucky and do what he can to make up for his past misdeeds.

Whatever your opinions on Martindale are for an organisation who hired Malky Mackay and play Declan Gallagher for the national side to ask him to jump through hoops to manage is hypocritical in the extreme. Beyond that, it's pretty blatantly a box ticking exercise given I'm pretty sure he's been on the touchline for over a month now, and has worked in a leadership capacity at Livingston for years now - a waste of time for all involved.

He’s served the time prescribed by the court, what’s your suggestion? No one with a criminal conviction gets to work again? Or are there only certain jobs your let them do?
He doesn’t deserve the chance to manage a football team. He have that up when he decided to do what he did.

If a convicted drug dealer is fit and proper, then lets get peter Tobin involved too.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this statement, but didn't they just discover more assets that he didn't declare years ago to be confiscated as proceeds of crime? Thought I read that last week?

Either way he should be given a chance, but lets not compare him to people with much lesser offences. This guy helped sell millions of pounds of Class A drugs which will have caused untold misery. If he's granted his licence then he should think himself lucky and do what he can to make up for his past misdeeds.
I get that, and his sentence was, IMO, lenient. However, he served the sentence he was given and someone wants to employ him. I don’t think he should be treated differently to anyone else in a similar position. And he certainly shouldn’t have to satisfy the moral judgement of an organisation without morals.

He doesn’t deserve the chance to manage a football team. He have that up when he decided to do what he did.

If a convicted drug dealer is fit and proper, then lets get peter Tobin involved too.
So, “football manager” is the only job that those with a criminal record should be barred from in your opinion? Any particular reason why that job should have a higher bar than any other?

Just after the interview Tom English is wanting to give the guy a second chance yet was desperate for Dave King to fail the fit and proper person test.
Exactly. In my opinion it was just a technical tax argument that he basically won.
Plus in one of my rare bold moments I'll say that his colour had something to do with the South African tax authorities taking it so far.
Hope this doesn't get used against me in ten years when I'm famous.

I don't think it says too much for Livingston as a business that they employ him. And also employed the baseball star.

But that's up to them.

I do think the SFA have a cheek though.

So, “football manager” is the only job that those with a criminal record should be barred from in your opinion? Any particular reason why that job should have a higher bar than any other?
Not sure, a job where he works with youngesters shouldn’t be something he should be able to do.

Would he be able to be a treacher?

I get that, and his sentence was, IMO, lenient. However, he served the sentence he was given and someone wants to employ him. I don’t think he should be treated differently to anyone else in a similar position. And he certainly shouldn’t have to satisfy the moral judgement of an organisation without morals.
I don't disagree with your comment but any organisation can decide on who can and can't join them. That's the facts, I think the SFA have a right to consider it and also the right to accept him in if they consider him fit and proper.

Not entirely sure why a manager has to got though a fit and proper check. Owners, of course. It’s not like a manager can financially ruin a club. You need a compliant owner to do that.

obviously paedo checks etc should be down

Com’on guys we all know why this has happened now! Imagine Celtic top of the league and clear ! Would they be bothering! Of course not. Dirty rotten scum and not fit for purpose

Not sure, a job where he works with youngesters shouldn’t be something he should be able to do.

Would he be able to be a treacher?
If there were limits placed on him by the courts in sentencing him, then those will have to be respected and adhered to by Livingston or any other employer. So long as he abides by those then I don’t think he should be treated differently to anyone else in the same situation.

Look, he did the crime and he did his time. Everyone knows it, everyone has their views on it and many wont be able to get past it, which is fair enough.

The only reason he was picked up by Livingston in the first place is because when they were penniless, in chaos and in League One they put out an SOS for anyone with any sort of football experience to come in and volunteer their time for free to help out the manager.

He was doing construction and came in to help out his hometown club in any way he could. He had three interviews with the club due to his past but they allowed him to help out for free. He was probably the only person that applied

Since then he's put the hard yards in, had to do his badges overseas because the SFA told him to bolt, he's become a first team coach, assistant manager and now manager. He's taken his one-in-a-million chance to get back into football in any capacity and worked his socks off to save them from the abyss and move them forward.

Whilst many people will begrudge him getting the "opportunity to manage a top flight club" they're only in the position they are because of him.

I don't disagree with your comment but any organisation can decide on who can and can't join them. That's the facts, I think the SFA have a right to consider it and also the right to accept him in if they consider him fit and proper.
You’re right on that score, of course. They can set the rules. My point was that it’s morally wrong that they get to sit in judgment of anyone, given the flagrant lack of morals possessed, and demonstrated, by that organisation.

Back