Fit..not played for 500 days at £35k a week

Is he in the huff running down his contract?
I’ve not heard anything about him for years.

I’ll be honest, I thought he had retired! Unreal, he looked a real talent when he broke through as well, what a way to waste your career. He is rich though.

Strange one.

He also went on loan to Fiorentina a few years back.

Another who is now just happy to have the money and live the lifestyle.

Still 'only' 29.

Reports are he’s a good professional, trains hard every week but the gaffer doesn’t trust him to hold his fitness for top level football.

Did Dariusz Adamczuk not pretty much do the same at us? Three years and about a dozen appearances and wouldn’t talk to any other teams?

Doesn't beat Jack Rodwell. On 75k a week at Sunderland, going to be relegated to league 1. They can't afford to pay him off either.
Doesn't beat Jack Rodwell. On 75k a week at Sunderland, going to be relegated to league 1. They can't afford to pay him off either.

He's saying that he want's a new club and it's about football, not money, which I suppose is easy to say now after he's mugged them for that sort of wedge over the last 3-4 years.

He's saying that he want's a new club and it's about football, not money, which I suppose is easy to say now after he's mugged them for that sort of wedge over the last 3-4 years.

He'll want a new club on 75k a week. Can't imagine it's that difficult for a footballer to find another club.

Martin Bain is at Sunderland so Rodwell will probably get a fortune on a pay off :D

Hutton keeping him out the team and Hutton has been told they cannot afford to renew his contract in the summer.

he's not the only one at Sunderland either. Bain has his work cut out.
Bain wants rid but Rodwell wont move, the dressing room has turned on him with no effect, they even send him out to do work in the community ( a few players hate doing that) but he still wont budge

there must be so many players who did this, i mean remember Bogarde at Chelsea, picked up 10 million in 4 years and played 9 times.

turned down a loan deal on deadline day. He's currently actively refusing to play. 70 grand +

If he's actively refusing to play, then i'd hope he's not seeing even a fraction of £70k a week. That surely must be some sort of breach of contract?

Strange one.

He also went on loan to Fiorentina a few years back.

Another who is now just happy to have the money and live the lifestyle.

Still 'only' 29.
At 29 he may well have been playing football for 20 years or more.

Is it acceptable for someone to be scunnered doing the same role for such a long time?

Especially when you are financially secure.

Bain wants rid but Rodwell wont move, the dressing room has turned on him with no effect, they even send him out to do work in the community ( a few players hate doing that) but he still wont budge
That’s pathetic. A player at Chelsea or City is one thing but when fans are suffering and the clubs going down you’d think he’d move if he can.

Richards is fit to play. Bruce doesn't think Richards can play 2x a week, so won't play him and disrupt the team if he only plays him once per week. Can't blame the player here.

Saw Villa fans going mental about this on twitter etc. From what I gather he is fit, still trains every day and has made himself available to play it's just that Bruce doesn't fancy him. No fall out, just doesn't fancy him.

Not the players fault he got offered that contract, fair play to him I say.

If he's actively refusing to play, then i'd hope he's not seeing even a fraction of £70k a week. That surely must be some sort of breach of contract?

as a Sunderland season card holder of 10 years, I've pondered the same question a million times. No-one seems to know but I am mates with a family member of one of our coaches and know this is a cast iron fact. Before Coleman arrived, he'd train all week & then throw a sicky in last thing on a Friday. He become so unreliable that we've just stopped considering him even though he's training all the time. Coleman has hammered him in the press without saying he's faking injury in so many words.

He's on £70,000 p/week because our recruitment team's scattergun approach led us to become so desperate to sign him that we agreed to ditch the relegation clause that is in every other player's contract. Think the clause was 40% wage drop.

Sad indictment of that league. Players quite happy to collect the money and don’t care about legacy or actually achievement with in the game any more.

as a Sunderland season card holder of 10 years, I've pondered the same question a million times. No-one seems to know but I am mates with a family member of one of our coaches and know this is a cast iron fact. Before Coleman arrived, he'd train all week & then throw a sicky in last thing on a Friday. He become so unreliable that we've just stopped considering him even though he's training all the time. Coleman has hammered him in the press without saying he's faking injury in so many words.

He's on £70,000 p/week because our recruitment team's scattergun approach led us to become so desperate to sign him that we agreed to ditch the relegation clause that is in every other player's contract. Think the clause was 40% wage drop.

Surely Sunderland could say he was in breach of contract.

Surely Sunderland could say he was in breach of contract.

I'd like to think we would have already done so if that was a possibility. I don't know why it isn't a possibility.

he came out in the press not long ago claiming we just weren't picking him.

of course we were opting to play 30 year old right back Marc Wilson in midfield ahead of Rodwell through choice. :confused:

I’ll be honest, I thought he had retired! Unreal, he looked a real talent when he broke through as well, what a way to waste your career. He is rich though.
Classic case of what you can do in England as a physical specimen but not necessarily a footballer. These guys are ten a penny in England. English football is absolutely vulgar. The product often lacks quality, even in the EPL, let alone the Championship and the stakes on offer, money wise in terms of the EPL means that big, strong guys can make fortunes, even if they could barely trap a bag of sand. This guy falls into this category. Since the influx in wealth, despite buying up youth talent galore, you don’t get games for City unless you cost a minimum of £30m.

Guy makes 10k a day and isn't putting it all in , effort wise ! Fuk me no wonder Sunderland are in such bad state . When it gets to this stage the best thing to do is put him on gardening leave . His presence will be like a cancer inside this club . Sounds to me like the guy just wants to retire , he will be 27 in March ! In any case his career will be all but over .

Guy makes 10k a day and isn't putting it all in , effort wise ! Fuk me no wonder Sunderland are in such bad state . When it gets to this stage the best thing to do is put him on gardening leave . His presence will be like a cancer inside this club . Sounds to me like the guy just wants to retire , he will be 27 in March ! In any case his career will be all but over .
The one that stands out for me is Portsmouth paying Tal Ben Haim image rights?! What image?

The season where Villa got relegated seemed to just cause plenty in the squad to quit giving a %^*& and just collect a pay check if they couldn't find a new club

Precisely the kind of player that oil clubs attract when they are starting out with bigger resources and top players won’t go near them. They end up over paying players to get them to go there, which fuels the whole wage escalation problem.

Give it a break man. You're like a broken record. It is genuinely disturbing how much you rant about this. You're like a completely psychopathic woman.

Re: Richards - I'm sure he was a good CB before he converted to full back.

If money wasn't an issue I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
He was given a contract that at the time Villa were happy to pay.New manager doesn’t fancy him so plays another player.Player doesn’t fancy a loan move to the team that came in for him.Dont see what the problem is here.

I remember the first few times I seen him play thinking he looked like he was going to be world class. Was built and played like an experienced defender in his teens.

Suppose the natural ability only takes you so far if you've not got the right attitude.

Back