Five Academy kids who can make the grade

I taught Cole McKinnon for 6 years and took the school team that won the Scottish cup at Hampden in which he played as an S4, young enough to be an S3, against S6 players. Boy is an unreal talent and has a brilliant work ethic.
Now that was a team, a joy to watch them from 1st year with a shaky start and a few heavy defeats into a team that just didn’t know when it was beaten, outstanding achievements from them, as you say, young Cole outstanding against boys 2/3 years older on that brilliant night at Hampden.

Now that was a team, a joy to watch them from 1st year with a shaky start and a few heavy defeats into a team that just didn’t know when it was beaten, outstanding achievements from them, as you say, young Cole outstanding against boys 2/3 years older on that brilliant night at Hampden.
Aye one of my fondest memories. The boys were so delighted. Still talk about it when i see them

The Dutch are as good as most in developing young talent. If we can keep this management team for 3 or 4 years I would expect several youngsters to break through.

The 5 along with a few others have looked the part in the Lowland League games this season, but it is the Lowland League.

I find it difficult as asses the level the Colt Team players are at as too many of the games are not a challenge for them.

The Challenge Cup games against Ayr United and Cove Rangers were an eye opener as The Colts were very much second best in these games.

Due to COVID the club didn't have any real alternative this season, but I think a few players would have benefitted from a loan move to Scottish League 1 or 2.

I wonder what Charlie McCann thinks, coming from playing in Premier League 2 to playing in the Scottish Lowland League.

Next step for most the this season's Colts team would be a loan move at a higher level.

Is this the modern day blue heaven when we had Chris Burke, Charlie Adam, Jordan McMillan & Steven Smith rolled out for all to see.

The 5 along with a few others have looked the part in the Lowland League games this season, but it is the Lowland League.

I find it difficult as asses the level the Colt Team players are at as too many of the games are not a challenge for them.

The Challenge Cup games against Ayr United and Cove Rangers were an eye opener as The Colts were very much second best in these games.

Due to COVID the club didn't have any real alternative this season, but I think a few players would have benefitted from a loan move to Scottish League 1 or 2.

I wonder what Charlie McCann thinks, coming from playing in Premier League 2 to playing in the Scottish Lowland League.

Next step for most the this season's Colts team would be a loan move at a higher level.
Agree with all of this.

It's just a tremendously tough place to break though though. Kids have to be good enough to compete with full international players. That relies on someone willing to give them a chance at a club where winning isn't just a bonus, it is demanded.

I just think that the new management team will give the lads every opportunity to do earn that chance.
Nail on the head. Just look at the state of the match thread/reaction at Ibrox when we go behind let alone lose a game. We simply don't have the luxury of bedding in players.

Given Rangers are the Premier Club in the country is it something of a scandal how few home grown players we have produced for our XI or even wider squad in terms of actually being used.

We can run off the familiar successes of Ferguson, McGregor, Hutton, Adam (?) and now Hutton but its a really poor return over the piece and for all the time, money and effort put into development football.
Nonsense

The fact we have to win every game or the fans go mental is probably the main reason youngsters are not given the chance unless they are outstanding
In saying that I’m sure Ajax face the same problems yet it does not stop their young talents coming through

Given Rangers are the Premier Club in the country is it something of a scandal how few home grown players we have produced for our XI or even wider squad in terms of actually being used.

We can run off the familiar successes of Ferguson, McGregor, Hutton, Adam (?) and now Hutton but its a really poor return over the piece and for all the time, money and effort put into development football.
We are able to develop players to a decent level but first team football at Rangers is very difficult to achieve. Nathan Patterson couldn't manage it. That isn't a failing, the step up is too much.

Not sure if popular or unpopular opinion.

But to me, I’d rather have them playing for the B’s rather than go out on loan to championship teams. Playing in rangers style/formation will help them a lot more

Also don’t think loans ahve worked when you look at how many have actually improved after them

We are able to develop players to a decent level but first team football at Rangers is very difficult to achieve. Nathan Patterson couldn't manage it. That isn't a failing, the step up is too much.
I get and understand your point, but there isn’t much RB’s in our budget who would move Tav out the team either imo

I taught Cole McKinnon for 6 years and took the school team that won the Scottish cup at Hampden in which he played as an S4, young enough to be an S3, against S6 players. Boy is an unreal talent and has a brilliant work ethic.

He was the one that jumped out at me when I was watching some of the games earlier this season. Can't put my finger on it, but he just carried himself like a Rangers player. Maybe not as skillful as Lowry or the likes but made up for it in other wrays.

Who was the young boy who we signed from one of the islands or the highlands (might have been attached to club up there ) ? Seemed to be high hopes for him when he signed .

For the first 120 years of Rangers history there were loads of great local Rangers players from the Glasgow area, but in the last 30 years there haven't been many.

Where did it all go wrong?
Stopping with School football. There was nothing in its place.

I saw a few B games earlier this season and I was very impressed by Charlie Lindsay.
Intelligent footballer and hard-working too.

Lowry I saw more often coming on as a sub.
All the skill in the world. Young of course but a real prospect.

Y
He was the one that jumped out at me when I was watching some of the games earlier this season. Can't put my finger on it, but he just carried himself like a Rangers player. Maybe not as skillful as Lowry or the likes but made up for it in other wrays.
Yup. His game intelligence is tremendous. Even when in S1 and the other kids were chasing the ball around all over the place, he would naturally drop back in to cover a right back or push forward to split the centre halves etc. He is a cracking kid as well.

I may be kidding myself on but for the first time in long enough, genuinely believe that we will see more young blokes breaking through. The approach being already displayed by Gio and his staff suggests that they are aware how important it is to spend the time on developing and bringing our home grown lads on.
When he was at Feyenoord GVB brought through a few youngsters and I suspect it was one of the attractions from the Rangers board’s perspective in employing him, although he was by far the stand out candidate anyway.

What's everyone's thoughts on Charlie McCann? If I'm honest coming from Manchester United stock and being in and around the b team etc.

I expected him to be more involved at first team level, or at least getting a slot on the bench.

Perhaps now with being able to list 9 subs and use 5 we might see more of the youngsters. But I thought he'd have more involvement by now.

Not sure if popular or unpopular opinion.

But to me, I’d rather have them playing for the B’s rather than go out on loan to championship teams. Playing in rangers style/formation will help them a lot more

Also don’t think loans ahve worked when you look at how many have actually improved after them
you obviously haven't seen how poor the Lowland League is, little to gain for our Colts there. Tims play a much younger group with 5 or 6 U18's every game.

I think we probably have the players more than we think but we rarely give them a chance to play properly. 15-20mins here and there is of no use to a developing player at those stages when they need to really get a chance to find their feet in matches and where they may fit into our team.

Obvs the loan option is what is meant to fill that in the absence of us doing it but really Im not convinced they get any more opportunity at other Scottish Clubs than they could or should with Rangers. At least with us itd be more productive with a view to them eventually playing for us.

Ive long thought we underutilise fixtures like Cup ties where we draw Lower League clubs or even a good few SPFL games when we are at home against one of the poorer sides. For example, Ross County or Dundee at home. In these low risk games Id be happy to see some of the younger players given a start, let them play and see what happens.

Ultimately the few players we have brought through to play for us have been given game time at Rangers, I cant think of any that went on loan elsewhere and have come back from there ready to play. So what exactly is the point?
Do you reckon we should start games with ten players plus one from the academy each game?
Would Hearts or Motherwell qualify as “poorer sides”?
We have a very unique situation in Scotland where every point is treasured and every one dropped is a calamity.
We have dropped points in only four games this season but find ourselves only six points ahead.
The next point I’d mention is the perception that some teams seem to raise their game against us but don’t find the same motivation against other opponents.
Can we afford to go into each game under strength and put ourselves under pressure from the first minute?
We’ve all seen how our support can react when we’re not two up after half an hour.
Should we expose our youth players to that level of pressure?
There was a discussion recently about the Ajax “model” where they’d break up a successful side, sell off the assets, and start again, full in the knowledge that there’d be a few barren seasons.
Would our support accept this?
A support that sees a draw as a calamitous?
One of our biggest problems is one of our great achievements.
Our world record trophy haul.
Would we forsake that to give youth a chance?
Remembering where that record will be heading?
I don’t have the answers here, just the questions and just my opinions.
I’d love to see a Rangers team where even a quarter of them are homegrown.
However, I’m not sure I’d want the barren years Ajax fans seem to accept.
The old adage “plan for the worst and hope for the best” doesn’t sit too easily with me where football is concerned.

For the first 120 years of Rangers history there were loads of great local Rangers players from the Glasgow area, but in the last 30 years there haven't been many.

Where did it all go wrong?
The advent of the ten team premier league?

you obviously haven't seen how poor the Lowland League is, little to gain for our Colts there. Tims play a much younger group with 5 or 6 U18's every game.
Most other posters would be hunted down and shot for this sacrilege!
Do you reckon they’re getting more benefit from the Lowland League experiment than we’re getting?

What about the young lad Rory Wilson is he still doing well?

I appreciate he isn’t in the B side just yet but I seem to remember he was highly thought of at youth level.

What about the young lad Rory Wilson is he still doing well?

I appreciate he isn’t in the B side just yet but I seem to remember he was highly thought of at youth level.
Turned 16 the other day, quite surprised we’ve heard anything about him signing a pro deal yet, with anyone.

It's just a tremendously tough place to break though though. Kids have to be good enough to compete with full international players. That relies on someone willing to give them a chance at a club where winning isn't just a bonus, it is demanded.

I just think that the new management team will give the lads every opportunity to do earn that chance.
agreed

personally I’d rate McCausland over Lindsay in that, watch the highlights of the games and he’s got some pace and scored quite a few, likes to cut in from the right and bent them into the far post

There are a few who could go on to decent careers and maybe squad depth at Ibrox.

I could see King being a solid player for a long time.

I’d say Lowry is the one who has a chance to be a big star, but he’s less likely to realise his potential. With his ability he should dominate games whenever he’s on the pitch at that level but he just seems to produce in flashes. He’ll be unplayable for 10 mins then anonymous for 30. If he could add consistency he’d be a genuinely exciting first team squad player just now.

People keep saying our academy is a failure, but surely we can put players like Craig Halkett, John Fleck etc. down as a success, having making a good career at a high level. They just were not ready for a Rangers team when they left the academy, and we have no reserve team any more to bring them through to a higher age and level.

There are a few who could go on to decent careers and maybe squad depth at Ibrox.

I could see King being a solid player for a long time.

I’d say Lowry is the one who has a chance to be a big star, but he’s less likely to realise his potential. With his ability he should dominate games whenever he’s on the pitch at that level but he just seems to produce in flashes. He’ll be unplayable for 10 mins then anonymous for 30. If he could add consistency he’d be a genuinely exciting first team squad player just now.
The main thing with Lowry for me as you point out is that he can be unplayable, I think we have heard some poor excuses from coaches for not blooding young players with the old 'they need to be better than what's in front of them' nonsense, as you can't compare Lowry playing on a potato field which some of these pitches are with various age groups around him, to giving him some time at Ibrox with our current first teamers supporting him through.

Pathways will only ever truly exist with opportunities, and I think with the coaching staff Gio has around him some of these young players probably have best chance of game time for us they will ever get!

Most other posters would be hunted down and shot for this sacrilege!
Do you reckon they’re getting more benefit from the Lowland League experiment than we’re getting?
I don't think there is any doubt their Lowland League lineups will be getting more benefit from these games than ours. There are a few reasons for that and why it is the case.

To improve players need to be challenged by playing better/stronger opposition, that's where best v best comes in. Circumstances mean the only real option open to us is the Lowland League which is obviously not best v best.

Most games our players are not challenged, although I haven't seen any of their games Celtic field a much younger team on a week to week basis, which must at least be a more physical challenge for their players.

A look at the last three games for each club highlights this. In their last three games Celtic have had 12 x U18 and 7 x U17 starters as well as 2 x U18 and 5 x U17 sub appearances.

By contrast Rangers have had 5 x U18 starters and 4 x U18 and 1 x U17 sub appearances. This has been reflected throughout the Lowland League season.

Both clubs played East Kilbride recently, Rangers only U18 player involved was Leon King. They had 4 x U18 and 2 x U17 starters as well as 2 x U17 subs.

I would say there are reasons for this, Celtic made a decision to cull their U19 and U20 groups and now only have around half a dozen across these groups. Hence they are pushing U18's and U17's into the Lowland League. Rangers have 17 players across the U19 and U20 groups but have very few U17's to back fill the U18's should they start to push them on.

Celtic have decided to take a hit in the U18 League and are well down that League, its not a coincidence that Hibs and Rangers who are the two oldest U18 groups are at the top end of the U18 League.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any doubt their Lowland League lineups will be getting more benefit from these games than ours. There are a few reasons for that and why it is the case.

To improve players need to be challenged by playing better/stronger opposition, that's where best v best comes in. Circumstances mean the only real option open to us is the Lowland League which is obviously not best v best.

Most games our players are not challenged, although I haven't seen any of their games Celtic field a much younger team on a week to week basis, which must at least be a more physical challenge for their players.

A look at the last three games for each club highlights this. In their last three games Celtic have had 12 x U18 and 7 x U17 starters as well as 2 x U18 and 5 x U17 sub appearances.

By contrast Rangers have had 5 x U18 starters and 4 x U18 and 1 x U17 sub appearances. This has been reflected throughout the Lowland League season.

Both clubs played East Kilbride recently, Rangers only U18 player involved was Leon King. They had 4 x U18 and 2 x U17 starters as well as 2 x U17 subs.

I would say there are reasons for this, Celtic made a decision to cull their U19 and U20 groups and now only have around half a dozen across these groups. Hence they are pushing U18's and U17's into the Lowland League. Rangers have 17 players across the U19 and U20 groups but have very few U17's to back fill the U18's should they start to push them on.

Celtic have decided to take a hit in the U18 League and are well down that League, its not a coincidence that Hibs and Rangers who are the two oldest U18 groups are at the top end of the U18 League.
Thanks for that.

Not academy player but did anyone see Mayo’s involvement in Partick’s equaliser last night? Carries the ball out the back the length of the pitch under pressure.

Not academy player but did anyone see Mayo’s involvement in Partick’s equaliser last night? Carries the ball out the back the length of the pitch under pressure.
Yeah, watched it.

Didn’t give Shaw much, if anything and his use of the ball was good as always.

How about the young lad Juan Algeria ?, not heard much about him.
Alegria is very, very raw.

He’s a unit, quick and a good finisher.

Don’t have the stats to hand, but he had scored 6 in his first 3 games and I’d hazard a guess that he’s still a goal per game. Technical game needs improvement.

He’ll be too old for the B-team next season, and can’t play in the YCL this season as he’s too old - I wouldn’t be surprised to see him head out on loan this window.

I prefer Weston though, he’s the best of the strikers IMO.

Alegria is very, very raw.

He’s a unit, quick and a good finisher.

Don’t have the stats to hand, but he had scored 6 in his first 3 games and I’d hazard a guess that he’s still a goal per game. Technical game needs improvement.

He’ll be too old for the B-team next season, and can’t play in the YCL this season as he’s too old - I wouldn’t be surprised to see him head out on loan this window.

I prefer Weston though, he’s the best of the strikers IMO.
Alegria and McCann are both eligible for the YCL as over age players. It is the fact they only joined the club this season that rules them out. Over age players have to have been at the club for two years.

Alegria and McCann are both eligible for the YCL as over age players. It is the fact they only joined the club this season that rules them out. Over age players have to have been at the club for two years.
I know mate, that’s why McLelland can play but they can’t.

Last edited:
Back