Flanagan at left back. Enough is enough

Discussion in 'The Bear Pit' started by Sir Walter, Nov 8, 2018.

1. tambourineman

tambourineman Well-Known Member

Indeed I did see him tonight and he had a nightmare. He has also had a couple of excellent games and a few ok/indifferent games. I think he is prone to rash challenges especially on players, on or near the touchline with their back to goal.

I also saw Wallace in a lot of games. He simply cannot tackle. He sticks a foot out and and the opponent goes past him. That is not tackling. I really have no idea if he is currently better than Flanagan. What I do know is that neither does anyone else on here.

I respect those who think he should be played ahead of Flanagan. Where I take issue is those who tell us with absolute certainty that Wallace would be better, or Halliday would be better.

If either had played and we had lost this board would be swamped, SWAMPED, with people telling us Flanagan should have played.

Graemelins likes this.
  2. TerrySilverLoyal

TerrySilverLoyal Well-Known Member

Hindsight is wonderful though

You can work with what you see and thats a couple of games now hes looked really suspect. And i actually like him

3. dh1963

dh1963 Well-Known Member

It's a strange one.

Flanagan was left back for a number of games at the start of the season and we hardly conceded a goal.
    He was excellent at left back in the wins at Ibrox against Rapid Vienna and Hearts.

But since then, he has been almost Lee Hodson bad.

4. dt17

dt17 Well-Known Member

Re: Declan John, I wish we'd kept him as well but apparently he wanted to move back to Wales and the club were happy enough for him to go.

5. Arminius

Arminius Well-Known Member Official Ticketer

I agree.

And if Halliday is needed left midfield, I’d also play Wallace instead of Flanagan at left back

Can we just have a left footed left back please boss

6. Uncle Albert

Uncle Albert Well-Known Member

His career was on a downward trajectory when we signed him.

He's like a full back from the 70's/80's but is too slow to play there now.

7. kebabloyal

kebabloyal New Member

Defensively we are weak in both full back areas....stevie wonder can see that.... flanagan is never a left back and if tav isnt offering anything going forward, as he hasnt in last 2 months, then hes an empty shirt....and as good as mcgregor is and im a big fan, would like to him coming for crosses more and commanding his 6 yrd box i think thats another weak area at the back for us...

8. Camby_bear72

Camby_bear72 Active Member

I agree he looks short on confidence there, tbh tho is barisic much better? Havent seen much from him to suggest he is?

9. Melbbear

Melbbear Well-Known Member

Funny how last couple of European games he’s played well. He’s a good player out of position.

Camby_bear72 likes this.
  10. Rev George Walker

Rev George Walker Well-Known Member

Agree, when in doubt Halliday will row z it, would have saved two goals.

11. Chester Perry

Chester Perry Well-Known Member

He was part of a collective unit that was simply awful, yes he contributed to that but the reality is he’s a right back at left back and his awkwardness is now showing.

Add that to Katic looking like bambi on ice, Goldson in a tailspin and Tavernier playing some of the worst football since he’s been here and it’s a real headache for Gerrard.

Only 5/6 games ago this defence was rock solid, Tavernier was being mentioned for international call ups, Goldson for a big money move and Flannigan was thundering into tackles and getting the crowd right up. Now, nothing, no reaction after 4 games on the spin where they’ve been awful.

We’ve two captains in there, none look like leaders at present, we only look solid when Halliday is at left back.

As for Worrall, he doesn’t escape criticism either as he’s been part of the unit playing so badly but fortunately for him, he avoided last nights debacle but I’d say he’s far more assured than Katic and will be straight back in.

Over to Stevie to sort this mess out, the answer maybe sitting on the bench with big McAuley

12. Bowery Boy

Bowery Boy Well-Known Member

Cost us another two goals tonight. He shouldn't be considered for left back ever again. Halliday should have started.

13. Graemelins

Graemelins Well-Known Member Official Ticketer

I think teams have had a chance to watch him play now and figured out that his lack of pace can be exploited. Earlier in the season he was an unknown quantity really.

14. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

SPFL teams are also now sitting in against us because we struggle to break them down. They are delighted when Flanagan starts because he offers the square root of nothing going forward. Halliday at least gets himself forward and is willing to shoot from distance.

15. Coisty09

Coisty09 Well-Known Member Official Ticketer

He should be right back cover for Tav when he is out injured or needs a rest. End of.

16. Jaws

Jaws Well-Known Member

He's had a dip in form but previously looked solid, it's a squad game, all players have good and bad spells.

thebluenosebear likes this.
  17. thebluenosebear

thebluenosebear Well-Known Member

Incredibly harsh thread, I must have imagined him creating DC's goal. Yes he made a mistake last night but so did Goldson, some forget we win as a team we lose as a team.

Wildgoose74 likes this.
  18. thebluenosebear

Are you better than the average fan?

19. Ross_

Ross_ Well-Known Member Official Ticketer

Sadly he or Halliday are the only options we have at the moment - neither are ideal as neither are left backs.

Sooner Barasic is back and can get a few games under his belt the better.

20. CM13

CM13 Active Member Official Ticketer

He’s a back up for the full back position. He replaces lee hodson who he is a far better player than. Tav & Barasic are first choice there’s nothing we can do if barasic is injured.

The way some are going on is if Halliday has never put a foot wrong at left back. After some of his performances last season these threads would of had “Halliday at left back enough is enough” quicker borna is back the better.

21. StaunchAndTrue

StaunchAndTrue Active Member

No? What I meant by that is the general opinion. I thought that was obvious.

22. thebluenosebear

So general opinion is wrong and you're right then?

23. Marty1303

Marty1303 New Member

Agree partly with your first points but I’m
    no having the McGregor part how many times has he single handily kept us in games this season, I wasn’t keen on having him back but no way can you be critical of him because he’s been outstanding.

24. Stevie13000

Stevie13000 Well-Known Member

This for me, the guy is no left back

Rangers87 likes this.
  25. dt17

dt17 Well-Known Member

This is the issue.

Goldson and Katic were forming a brilliant partnership then Gerrard dropped Katic out of the blue for no reason. Since then we've been chopping and changing which clearly doesn't work.

Katic doesn't deserve to be dropped again considering the bomb scare that Goldson had. Worrall has been dug shite in recent weeks as well.

It seems that Katic is the easy one to drop and he's playing like he knows it as well.

26. ibroxroar67

ibroxroar67 Active Member

All I will say about him is his lack of pace as a full back you need to be positionally aware and have good peripheral vision which he has neither.....

27. Bob Belcher

Bob Belcher Well-Known Member Official Ticketer

£800K according to Transfermarkt.

28. Amato

Amato Well-Known Member

Could have done with Declan John still being here.

29. BrownBrogues

BrownBrogues Well-Known Member

I came on to start this thread. I know he is your Mate Stevie but he has cost us 3 Points against Killie selling their equaliser and last night was atrocious, they deliberately exploited that weakness and Halliday should have been on at half time 3-2. Please drop him before he cost us success and you your job.

30. Sam English

Sam English Well-Known Member

Any idea when Barasic is expected back ?

31. Morton11

Morton11 Active Member

A really shite player. Not even at Lee Wallace levels.