Flanagan or Tav? (Football chat only please)

What's the story

Season 13-14 Flanagan got rave reviews for his Liverpool displays. The Scouse cafu it was said haha.

I remember him being played on the left a fair bit for them but he didn't seem to have a left foot. Strong tackler.

Tav an excellent attacking player but without doubt struggles defensively.

Who wins?

The Scouse cafu or the blue cafu?

You can't put Flanagan ahead of Tav based on performances from 4 years ago.

Had a look at Flanagan's stats for Bolton last season and they weren't impressive at all. I know how promising he looked early on in his Liverpool days, but can't help feeling those performances are what made Gerrard sign him & not so much the current version that we are actually getting.

Tav every day of the week for me. Flanagan has a lot to prove.

Tav on the right Flanagan on the left. Flat back 4 when they have the ball. Flanagan is not an attacking full back so will stay back giving us a back 3 when we have the ball allowing Tav to bomb forward to his hearts content. No more being caught on the counter with only 2 back.

Impossible to tell without seeing how Flanagan performs.

It could well be that Bible is the one that comes under pressure from Flanagan rather than Tav.

Tavernier all day long. He had the same number if league goals and assists as James Forrest who was a POTY contender. With half decent CB’s alongside him he could be even better.

I'm going to wait and see what Flanaldo is like before commenting. Tav really needs to raise his consistency level. There were a few games last season where he was fantastic but equally as many where he was really poor

If Flanagan can play on the left then I'd have him in before John

Based on what though? He's barely kicked a ball in 4 years.

Wouldn't have Flanagan in before anyone until I see what he can do. IMO Flanagan wasn't signed to come straight into the team either, he's the one with something to prove here.

Tav on the right Flanagan on the left. Flat back 4 when they have the ball. Flanagan is not an attacking full back so will stay back giving us a back 3 when we have the ball allowing Tav to bomb forward to his hearts content. No more being caught on the counter with only 2 back.

JF is still very good at getting up and down. He just prefers a tackle.

Liverpool played very attackingly under Brenda, with JF regularly earning rave reviews - from a certain Mr Gerrard. He's previously compared Flanagan's traits to that of Carra's.

It's no surprise to see why Jon earned himself these reviews, a young player of the season award and a long term contract.

If Gerrard gets him anywhere near that form, which I'm certain he will, he pisses all over any fullback we have. Granted, not difficult.

I think as a defender Tavernier is very poor and is constantly out of position.
Whether Flannagan is the answer I don’t know.

I’m a Liverpool fan.

I’ve watched him play.

I know what qualities he has, I know what qualities a full back requires and I know what qualities we lack at fullback.

I believe Gerrard will motivate JF to regain his previous form.

We shall soon find out.

Fantastic.
My worry is that those qualities were years ago. Has he retained or improved on them? If he is one of us then I hope he has and your right

Last edited:
I'd be disappointed if we sell Tav because he has come in unless we get another equally as good RB in. We should have both fighting for a place.

My worry is that those qualities were years ago. Has he retained or improved on them? If he isn’t one of us then I hope he has and your right
Your bang on.

And I don’t know much about his post Liverpool form.

But I know Gerrard absolutely would not sign him unless he had personally spoken to him and genuinely believed that he could get him close to that form.

Thankfully for me, I absolutely trust in Gerrard’s decision making, (although I am biased) which makes this a very easy decision for me to back.

I also have the benefit of having watched all of our full backs.

On form, there really is no comparison. Although, this is only in my opinion, of course.

The player that is playing the best. If Flanagan pushes Tav to keep his best form every week then even if he does not play then that helps the team. Same with John on the left if Wallace can get back fit and push John then its great for the team.
Tav for me in a five would be great but both full backs still worry me in a four man defence.

Hard to say what Flanagan is like these days considering he has barely kicked a ball in the last few years, missed 19 months and three knee operations?

That's a real concern.

The Flanagan that broke into the Liverpool side was a tough, no nonsense full back who had the ability to get forward and had a really sound range of passing. Positionally disciplined and capable on the ball. If he can regain that form, then we've an excellent player on our hands who will relish any test.

I like Tav, but at times he's too easily skinned by the winger,notbby skill, but by pace, Hibs last goal in the 5-5 draw being one example, there was a few others during the season that didn't lead to goals.
Whether Flanagan is an upgrade only time will tell

I think Flanagan has been signed to complement Tav.

He’ll play as left back, playing narrow, sitting in, offering Tav the licence to roam.

Your bang on.

But I know Gerrard absolutely would not sign him unless he had personally spoken to him and genuinely believed that he could get him close to that form.

Thankfully for me, I absolutely trust in Gerrard’s decision making, (although I am biased) which makes this a very easy decision for me to back.

On form, there really is no comparison. Although, this is only in my opinion, of course.
Well your educated opinion is worth more than mine on this matter. If he is as good as you think he could be then we are on to a winner. Let’s hope so

Hard to say what Flanagan is like these days considering he has barely kicked a ball in the last few years, missed 19 months and three knee operations?

That's a real concern.

The Flanagan that broke into the Liverpool side was a tough, no nonsense full back who had the ability to get forward and had a really sound range of passing. Positionally disciplined and capable on the ball. If he can regain that form, then we've an excellent player on our hands who will relish any test.
Your last sentence is bang on.

He relishes big matches. Most of his rave reviews came against the likes of Utd, Everton (where the rest of the squad, led by Gerrard, gave him a round of applause for his display) and City (he took delight in tackling ex red, Sterling).

Your bang on.

I asked my lieroool supporting mate his thoughts and this was his reply

“When we almost won the title 3 years ago he was immense at right back but then had a long term injury the season after and and a new manager came in and fell out of favour. Fully committed defender you’ll have there mate”

Tav has arguably been one of our best performers in last couple of years. Yes he has his defensive frailties but a lot of that may come down to the lack of consistency and quality in the middle of the park. There is no doubt the spine of our team is the real week point.

Hodson is absolutely garbage and if Flanagan can regain any sort of form he's 20x the player Hodson is, so we've strengthened the squad. Stevie G is not a fool and he will have consulted with his team before bringing him in - they must be confident in his ability to regain form, therefor I am. But it is and will remain Tav's position to lose for the short term at least. Flanagan will have to prove himself.

Season 13-14 Flanagan got rave reviews for his Liverpool displays. The Scouse cafu it was said haha.

I remember him being played on the left a fair bit for them but he didn't seem to have a left foot. Strong tackler.

Tav an excellent attacking player but without doubt struggles defensively.

Who wins?

The Scouse cafu or the blue cafu?

Tav for me is under appreciated by quite a lot of people 8 goals and 7 assists last season. He can get caught defensively but that's because he's an attacking full back same goes for Marcelo for Real Madrid on a higher scale obviously. Tierney from the dark side is apparently worth 20 odd million and besides being younger than Tav I don't see why that is the case. Tav being touted for around 3 million is a shambles and surely just paper talk. Flanagan will be a good addition and I hope he pushes both John and Tav for the full back positions but Tav for me all day.

Tav is an absolute liability at the back. He simply doesn't think like a defender and at his age that isn't about to change.

It's hard to know where Flanagan is right now. The Flanagan who broke into the Liverpool side is vastly superior to Tav. If he can get back 75% of what he had it's Flanagan for me.

If we're serious about challenging for the title neither Tav nor Declan John can be first picks.

I think as a defender Tavernier is very poor and is constantly out of position.
Whether Flannagan is the answer I don’t know.

I’m just amazed you can say he’s ‘constantly’ out of position.

It’s so far from accurate.

Statistically is was proven he wasn't as bad as you made out.

I'm not a fan of Tav but he's fit all the time so he's instantly better than Flanagan.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Stats have their place but I'd rather trust my own eyes.
Tav is simply woeful when we're not in possession.

I'm going to wait and see what Flanaldo is like before commenting. Tav really needs to raise his consistency level. There were a few games last season where he was fantastic but equally as many where he was really poor
Flanaldo haha

Some of these get better and better

Tav as of now but if Flannagan can get anywhere near the level he was 4 years ago then its no contest.

But saying that, he's going to need a massive improvement in form to reach that level once again... If he can.

Could we play both in some of the tougher away games? Flanagan at right back, with Tav playing right midfield in front of him? Could highlight each players strong points & hide any weaknesses?

Tavernier has been our best player over the past 3 seasons. He doesn't deserve to lose his place to a guy who has only played about 20 odd games in the same period of time.

I think Flanagan has been signed to complement Tav.

He’ll play as left back, playing narrow, sitting in, offering Tav the licence to roam.

That's how I see it too. I suspect DJ's place is under far more threat than Tav's.

Back