Flanagan or Tav? (Football chat only please)

The anti British Brigade on the dark side of Glasgow were after flanagan, we should be happy he's signed and mugged them of into the bargain.

Tav has definitely been our best player Flanagan had all the makings of a top premier league and international player but he has everything to prove now

I like tav going forward but 1 on 1 he gets slaughtered too easily for me.

Check out Celtic 5th goal in 5-0 and hibs 5th goal in 5-5 and tell.me that's acceptable?

Horrendous.
I'm torn on tav. Going forward he's excellent though.

A lot will depend on what formation we play if it's a back 3 with 2 wings back then Tav has the edge if it's a flat 4 Flanagan might be a better bet with Tav pushed into a right midfield position.

So many variables but if we play 4 3 3 with Murphy and Candeias I think he is more likely to replace John as Murphy doesn't track back as much.

Check out Celtic 5th goal in 5-0 and hibs 5th goal in 5-5 and tell.me that's acceptable?

Horrendous.

For Edouards (spelling) goal he was miles out of position, something he is guilty of doing a lot, which causes our CHs to get pulled all over the place.

Given Bolton fans thought he was shite, and his career has drifted since early promise at Liverpool, I'd hope Flanagan has been brought in as cover for the full back positions.

Certainly better than Hodson for cover anyway.

I fecking hope we don’t play 433 with Murphy and Candieas. This formation needs ripped up.

Not my favoured formation either but its one where I would see him starting to make up for lack of Murphy tracking back, I would rather 4 1 3 2 which removes both wide players and relies on full backs for width which for me would mean Tav and John starting.

I haven't seen anything of Flanagan since his Liverpool days, when he looked a genuine prospect. I'll be honest, I've never been a big fan of Tavernier, due to his lapses in concentration and positional sense. I don't know whether Flanagan is being signed as replacement or back up, so it's a case of trusting what the manager thinks is best.

For Edouards (spelling) goal he was miles out of position, something he is guilty of doing a lot, which causes our CHs to get pulled all over the place.

Aye it's shocking. It's more his body shape against attackers. Just invites them to go by him, which they do with ease. Barker kills him any time he sizes him up.

Not my favoured formation either but its one where I would see him starting to make up for lack of Murphy tracking back, I would rather 4 1 3 2 which removes both wide players and relies on full backs for width which for me would mean Tav and John starting.
Players that don't track back will not be in the team for long.

Tav has definitely been our best player Flanagan had all the makings of a top premier league and international player but he has everything to prove now

That rather sums our last three seasons up.
A full back who cannot defend has been our best player!
That's why we've won nothing!

Tav is miles ahead of Flanagan. Absolute miles.

He might be okay backup, thats about it.
I think you have a blind spot where Tav is concerned Hem.

I sincerely doubt that Flanagan will be viewed as back up by the management team. Assuming of course that he can regain any kind of form.

I think you have a blind spot where Tav is concerned Hem.

I sincerely doubt that Flanagan will be viewed as back up by the management team. Assuming of course that he can regain any kind of form.
He hasn’t had any form for 5 years, so thats a big ask.

Infact hes only had form for one short spell in his entire career. But hey, better than the best right back in our league eh?

Horrendous.
Agree with this.

At times last year we had a complete back 4 who were all individually poor at defending.

Defenders need to be good at their core job then anything else is a bonus.

Hopefully Tav can kept as cover or fitted in further forward in the team.

Would imagine Gerrard noticed his limitations as a full back when watching the last Hibs game. To be fair to Tav it was the last few minutes of a long season when the Hibs player waltzed past him to score, and he had put a lot into the game going forward that day. However, if he is being found out defensively in Scotland then he will struggle when we get back to playing decent teams in europe.

Horrendous.

It really much rather not tbh... those are too painful to even think about never mind watch again.

Flanagan would be a decent signing SG and Gary Mac are certainly raising the bar in terms of quality ....will this be new signing no 9 - am I right or wrong ?

He hasn’t had any form for 5 years, so thats a big ask.

Infact hes only had form for one short spell in his entire career. But hey, better than the best right back in our league eh?
Rather proved my point about a blind spot re Tav there.

Maybe we're getting to the real root of your opposition to the Flanagan signing. Fearful that he'll replace your pin up boy?

In my opinion, Tav is not even the best RB in our squad, never mind the league. I'd play Ryan Jack at RB before Tav.

Tav on the right Flanagan on the left. Flat back 4 when they have the ball. Flanagan is not an attacking full back so will stay back giving us a back 3 when we have the ball allowing Tav to bomb forward to his hearts content. No more being caught on the counter with only 2 back.

Might make us too one sided and predictable.

Maybe we're getting to the real root of your opposition to the Flanagan signing. Fearful that he'll replace your pin up boy?

In my opinion, Tav is not even the best RB in our squad, never mind the league. I'd play Ryan Jack at RB before Tav.
You watched Ryan Jack closely at Aberdeen then?

Hahahahahahah.

Right. I’ll bare in mind next time I debate anything with you, that you actually don’t watch football.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.
Stats have their place but I'd rather trust my own eyes.
Tav is simply woeful when we're not in possession.

Let’s say, just for a laugh, what you’ve posted is true.
In most games, we have a lot more possession than not and, when you consider where the ball is when we don’t have possession, there can’t be more than twenty percent of the time when our right back is involved in the game.
However, you want to bin him based on his ineffectiveness for this time of game.

I have no idea what Flanagan is like so for me it is Tav for the moment.

That may change over time, but I don’t believe anyone knows at this stage how this signing will play out.

Let’s say, just for a laugh, what you’ve posted is true.
In most games, we have a lot more possession than not and, when you consider where the ball is when we don’t have possession, there can’t be more than twenty percent of the time when our right back is involved in the game.
However, you want to bin him based on his ineffectiveness for this time of game.
A more accurete summation would be that I'd prefer him to be replaced because of his ineffectiveness as a defender.
He costs us goals, and any attacking prowess he has is outweighed by his shortcomings as a defender.

We were the SPFL top scorers last season but conceded more goals than any of the top 6. SG has made it clear he wants to be tighter defensively and will have a formation and players in mind. We may even play 3 at the back - including Flanagan - with Tav and Elton as wing backs.

So who plays will mainly depend on formation and form. That's in part why they've gone to Spain.

Back