Flanagan over Halliday ?

Ross_

Official Ticketer
i can’t understand why SG plays Flanagan in domestic games at left back? I just can’t understand it.

Halliday was arguably MOTM against hearts and is left out tonight - when we play Flanagan it makes us so lopsided.

Hopefully Barasic is back for the weekend.

The Gaffer seems to have a soft spot for Flanagan, not a huge fan of Halliday but he was superb on Sun and deserved to keep his place, Flanagan is not a left back !

Mental isn't it.

I don’t understand it (unless he was injured ... which seems unlikely seen as he was on the bench)

I can see the argument for playing Flanagan in say Europe as you could argue he’s a better defender - but against domestic teams we will dominate all of them and can’t only really on the right hand side for attacking options.

Barking mad mate

Andy gives us Balance

Unless the opposition have a great winger Andy should always play

I don’t ever want to see Flanagan at left back ever again. I don’t mean to be overly critical but it affects the whole balance of the team and he’s a very poor footballer.

He’s got zero pace. He dives into tackles. Wingers get in behind him too easy. He’s not interested in supporting our left winger. He always cuts in on his right foot. He slows down play. 9/10 he’ll play a sideward pass or a long aimless ball forward. He’s got zero attacking threat.

This Flanagan thing needs to end

Flanagan shouldn’t be near the club never mind the line up.

This is entirely correct. Flanagan is utterly dreadful at every component part of being a footballer. Playing him over Halliday - who is very limited but generally adequate - is indefensible. All managers have weird blind spots. This seems to be Gerrard’s.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens with Glanagan. He had a couple of decent matches when he arrived but has been woeful for a while now. Tonight might just be the watershed moment when Gerrard learns who he can trust and who he can’t, and if so then don’t expect to see Flanagan in the side unless we have an injury crisis.

On the plus side well done to Halliday for a complete transformation from last season.

Halliday was one of the last players who should have been dropped after his performance on Sunday. Unless there’s a fitness issue I don’t see why you would drop a player who’s performing for you.

Mental isn't it.
No, the mental part is the Asia syndrome on here. Heat of the Moment...99.99% of posters were adamant last season that Halliday was useless and not good enough. Recently it was Tav, now it is anyone bar AM who played against Aberdeen. I blame the schools.

Flanagan can not play left back , simples ! , I do not know why the manager can not see that . I don't know what position he could play , but it will never be left back , but then again , I am just a humble punter who watches the same performances as the gaffer . As far as I am aware the majority of fellow punters agree with me .
Go figure ? :confused:

Or even, wait for it...a natural left back who turned out for the reserves against Kilmarnock when we won 5-0. It’s fkin bizarre.

Flanagan couldn't even find a team mate with a throw in last night. Was lucky to last 45. Shocking decision to leave out Halliday after his recent performances but we need Barisic in there ASAP.

i can’t understand why SG plays Flanagan in domestic games at left back? I just can’t understand it.

Halliday was arguably MOTM against hearts and is left out tonight - when we play Flanagan it makes us so lopsided.

It's like watchin hodson, caught in the headlights of an approaching car.

Pass, the easy option.

I’ve stuck up for Flanagan a lot because he was getting unjust criticism at times earlier in the season but he’s honestly been torture to watch in the last handful of games.

The sooner Barisic is back the better.

Coulibaly and Flanagan have been hopelessly off form but keep getting games.

They aren't earning their spot the way they should.

Every manager has favoured players that the fans wonder what they see in them.

Every Rangers fan knows these two have been hopeless lately.

Every player was poor but playing players who haven't been performing gives no incentive for improvement. How many bad games has Coulibaly had lately?

IMO he should go home to Angers when Docherty returns.

My hope after that is that we are still in contention in January. I was so angry.

Right back or nothing, not fucking left back, not centre half, he’s not good enough, a able deputy at right back and that’s it

Would much rather have seen Halliday start at left back last night, he has done well since being asked to play there. I'm not Flanagans biggest fan but thought he had a not bad half last night? One of his better performances for us anyway!

The sooner Barisic is back fully fit the better though, it's certainly a week spot for us.

Difficult to understand Gerrard's reasoning for bringing back Flanagan, over a player who was arguably our best performer in the previous match. When the team was announced, my only thought was that Flanagan is probably better in the air than Halliday, and we can expect a long ball bombardment. Unfortunately for Jon, other than a few matches earlier in the season where he played reasonably well, he has looked exactly as you would expect a right footed player to be playing at left back - out of position and easier to exploit. I specifically looked for the number of times he controlled and passed the ball with his left foot last night. The answer - Once. He played a free kick backwards to Goldson. Not once in open play. It just makes us horribly unbalanced as a team as we can only attack down the right hand side and the opposition have sussed this out and are able to counter this by overloading their left hand side with additional numbers.
I agree with the comment above where Barasic is our first choice LB, with Halliday covering him. Flanagan should be an emergency LB only and covering Tav when he is injured or suspended.

However, SG could have taken off basically anyone last night. Ejaria, Coulibaly, Morelos all had their worst match of the season. Jack did his normal tidying up and interception role, but held onto the ball too long, allowing the Aberdeen players to get behind the ball. Middleton took the safe option on the few times that he had the ball and Candeias was his normal industrious self, but with no end product.

Really disappointing performance, and it looks like we have learnt nothing from the defeat in the SF

No, the mental part is the Asia syndrome on here. Heat of the Moment...99.99% of posters were adamant last season that Halliday was useless and not good enough. Recently it was Tav, now it is anyone bar AM who played against Aberdeen. I blame the schools.

So, folk can't change their mind about Halliday? Ever thought the manager could have made a massive impact/influence on Halliday and that's why he is playing much better of late?

Agree with your assessment. I thought Halliday merited his place based on his performance v Hearts. I know Flanagan is a professional footballer and should be able to adapt to playing out of position however he seems to be going through a tough time on the park at the moment. He is not offering anything in an attacking sense and is not as sharp defensively as the earlier part of the season. We probably need the left side to have some consistency of selection for the next few games and I think that will be Barasic and Grezda with Kent from the Bench or as most advanced midfielder dependent on opposition.

Even worse than that is Flanagan and Middleton together. They have zero link up play and it is like they are playing for different teams. Halliday looks for Middleton early and links up with him.
What the story with Barisic he can’t be that unfit surely. We need him back in the team and quickly.

Lee Wallace must now be absolutely horrific if Flanagan is playing left back. I kind of don’t blame Flanagan as he’s not playing in his natural position

At least Halliday can take a corner. The sooner someone comes in and stops Tav hitting the first man each time, the better!

Flanagan is utterly horrendous he is a god awful football player

"Aye but he is the best pure defender at the club" - why did people think such things...

Halliday wasn't even in the top 3 best performers on Sunday at Tynecastle but I agree with your point nonetheless. It's actually painful to watch Flanagan check back onto his right foot and constantly slow the game down.

I said it before we signed him that he was piss, that was after seeing him at Burnley. He's proved me wrong on occasions when he's put in a decent performance but he is not a LB in any way shape or form.

I may be wrong but I think we have a distinct lack off height in the side and with Tav bombing forward we seem to revert to 3 C/H tactics which Flanagan might be better suited in the managers eye.
The downside is we have a defence who are all right footed,not ideal,but our main problem is not our defence but midfield all of who are really suffering from lack of form and confidence,that is not easily fixed.

He is just trying to give him games and perhaps for a tough backs against the wall game in europe he is good, but for a home game when we will be on the attack, its completely pointless

Strange one I admit, but we don't know how fit/fresh Halliday was.

Flanagan should never play unless every other left back (including youth players) are injured. He is dreadful.

SG s team selection last night was rank rotten.
His talk to the players prior to the game has fell on death ears.
I think its time for him and macca to get tougher.

Barking mad mate

Andy gives us Balance

Unless the opposition have a great winger Andy should always play

Flanagan offers nothing against even bang-average wingers. McKay-Steven gave him the run-around in the LCSF. He's no better at defending in that position than Halliday, but at least Andy gives us an option going forward.

We've 6 games in 18 days, if Gerrard ran the same 11 players into the ground for every one of those games he'd be criticised.

It's funny how fickle some people on here are, Halliday was their whipping boy and suffered disgusting abuse on here last season.

We've 6 games in 18 days, if Gerrard ran the same 11 players into the ground for every one of those games he'd be criticised.

It's funny how fickle some people on here are, Halliday was their whipping boy and suffered disgusting abuse on here last season.
not really, cause we dont know that ......a regular 11 is what we need and back up players to fill positions if and when required.

Not sure that the LB needs rotated every single game though.

Agree. I dont want him starting another game at all now that Barisic is back. An absolute liability.

Back