Flanagan over Halliday ?

Its another in a long line of bizarre team selections from gerrard that continue to cost us points

That and the inclusion of middleton last night was 2 dreadful decisions

There is a growing rumbling from inside that Liverpool people (players and back room staff) are viewed more favourably than others and the continued playing of Flanagan and the 0% criticism of him when others are getting flak is one of the reasons these sentiments are being raised.

Completely agree, the more woeful performances Flanagan puts in the more bizarre it becomes. He gets beat down his left side every single time and offers nothing going forward.

Even at half time yesterday the right sub was Halliday for Flanagan as that would have given us a much better shape. Gerrard should have realised his mistake and fixed it.

not really, cause we dont know that ......a regular 11 is what we need and back up players to fill positions if and when required.

Gerrard has gone on record a number of times saying he wants 2 firt choice picks for each position. Back up players are normally not of the same quality as first picks, lets look at last season with Hodson being back up for Tavernier for example.

I've no problem with the manager utilising his squad and trying to keep players as fresh as possible, especially when we could play 50 + games this season.

Gerrard has gone on record a number of times saying he wants 2 firt choice picks for each position. Back up players are normally not of the same quality as first picks, lets look at last season with Hodson being back up for Tavernier for example.

I've no problem with the manager utilising his squad and trying to keep players as fresh as possible, especially when we could play 50 + games this season.
correct but it has went against him on a few occasions.

am all for choices but we need the regular 11

Strangely though and no great accolade Flanagan was our best man on the park last night first half before being sacrificed to change formation as no point playing a back four against a team without a forward, and he can contribute only as a full back.

For the Halliday fan club. As much as I like Halliday and the effort he puts in sadly we aren't winning anything with a team of Hallidays. He won a few tackles on Sunday but equally was slack a few times that could have caused goals.

Neither is good enough, but teams are really targeting Flannigan as a weak link now, so Halliday seems the much better option.
Need to get Barasic fit and playing asap- we spent (relatively) big on him and we need all that money on the park, not in the stands.

There is a growing rumbling from inside that Liverpool people (players and back room staff) are viewed more favourably than others and the continued playing of Flanagan and the 0% criticism of him when others are getting flak is one of the reasons these sentiments are being raised.
Do go on.

Flanagan did OK in a couple of games.

But, his confidence is shot. So, that and playing out of position is a bad combination.

With his confidence low - it's RB or nowhere.

Neither are left backs .We are Glasgow Rangers and should have decent cover for all positions ffs

Team selection was wrong last night. Given Halliday vs. Flanagan at LB over the course of the last 5 games they have played there, Halliday comes out on top.

I get that the gaffer things we should rotate due to the number of games we are likely to play. BUT Barasic will be the first choice left back so Halliday has absolutely no reason to be dropped.

It was clear since the early days that having Flanagan on the left completely fucks up our balance. You are relying on the left forward to be coming deep and bringing the ball into feet.

It also concentrates our attack’s down the right which means the defence can focus there and negate that threat.

I don’t have anything against Flanagan but a right footer at left back, no matter who it is, doesn’t work. For me.

Neither are left backs .We are Glasgow Rangers and should have decent cover for all positions ffs
We do. Halliday is decent cover for barasic. We aren’t in the position yet to have world beaters as back up

I think that, whereas SG is correct about squad rotation, he needs to forget about favourites or others who, because they didn't play the previous game, must be included 'today' ! The previously quoted scenario of Flanagan vis a vis Halliday is case in point but, potentially, that policy could cost us games !
In other words, squad rotation is good BUT not just for the sake of it.
SG is still learning and probably still trying to keep the entire squad on side but maybe not recognising that perhaps the squad are happy to be part of a winning squad to be utilised as and when.

Strangely though and no great accolade Flanagan was our best man on the park last night first half before being sacrificed to change formation as no point playing a back four against a team without a forward, and he can contribute only as a full back.

For the Halliday fan club. As much as I like Halliday and the effort he puts in sadly we aren't winning anything with a team of Hallidays. He won a few tackles on Sunday but equally was slack a few times that could have caused goals.

I must've missed that bit

Don't think there can be anyone who can disagree with this OP.

Nearly cost us against Villarreal despite all our hard work, and was clearly dreadful again last night.

But let's not be harsh on the guy, he's NEVER a left back and probably doesn't particularly enjoy playing there.

He must think he is a good player who is off form. I can’t see a player in there anywhere

I don’t ever want to see Flanagan at left back ever again. I don’t mean to be overly critical but it affects the whole balance of the team and he’s a very poor footballer.

He’s got zero pace. He dives into tackles. Wingers get in behind him too easy. He’s not interested in supporting our left winger. He always cuts in on his right foot. He slows down play. 9/10 he’ll play a sideward pass or a long aimless ball forward. He’s got zero attacking threat.

This Flanagan thing needs to end
Agreed he should be used for cover for Tav at RB his in his actual position nothing else.

Back