Flanagan Undergoing Medical

Status
Not open for further replies.
55 games in 8 years?

There's a reason that teams aren't falling over themselves to snap him up. Just saying...
If we are looking at this purely from a footballing perspective that's easily explained. Breaking into Liverpool's 1st team is no easy feat, if anything it's an incredible achievement doing so and getting as much game time as he did. He then went on to have a serious injury which has obviously hampered him. It's a relative risk-free punt but again that's just looking at from a footballing perspective. The baggage seems to be the issue with most who are against the signing and that's fair enough, they're perfectly entitled to feel that way, I understand it. Again tho we live in a civilised society where people ought to be given the right to rehabilitation and allowed the chance to get on with their life.

Has passed his medical in Manchester according to the Sun. They are also saying he has agreed terms..................

By Aidan Scott
21st June 2018, 9:49 am

JON FLANAGAN has passed his Rangers medical and agreed a two-year deal with the Ibrox club.

SunSport reported yesterday how the former Liverpool stopper was due to travel to the side’s pre-season training camp in Spain.

And we can reveal that after passing his medical in Manchester, the 25-year-old is now expected to link up with his new team-mates in Andalucia after agreeing terms with Gers.

It means he will become Rangers‘ seventh signing in a summer that has already seen Scott Arfield, Allan McGregor, Jamie Murphy, Ovie Ejaria, Nikola Katic and Connor Goldson join the club.

Flanagan came through the youth ranks at Anfield before making his senior debut against Man City back in 2011.

But persistent injury problems have blighted his career, including forcing him out of the entire 2014-15 campaign.

He was eventually sent out on loan to Burnley for the entirety of the 2016-17 season before spending the last six months on loan at Bolton.

Flanagan has also had off-field issues to deal with, resulting in his conviction earlier this year for assaulting his girlfriend in December.

However, Rangers No2 Gary McAllister reckons the 25-year-old should be given a second chance.

If we are looking at this purely from a footballing perspective that's easily explained. Breaking into Liverpool's 1st team is no easy feat, if anything it's an incredible achievement doing so and getting as much game time as he did. He then went on to have a serious injury which has obviously hampered him. It's a relative risk-free punt but again that's just looking at from a footballing perspective. The baggage seems to be the issue with most who are against the signing and that's fair enough, they're perfectly entitled to feel that way, I understand it. Again tho we live in a civilised society where people ought to be given the right to rehabilitation and allowed the chance to get on with their life.
Very well put mate.

The baggage seems to be the issue with most who are against the signing and that's fair enough, they're perfectly entitled to feel that way, I understand it. Again tho we live in a civilised society where people ought to be given the right to rehabilitation and allowed the chance to get on with their life.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he should be given a second chance. It's just a pity it's with us and not elsewhere as it's going to be a millstone around his neck (and ours), especially with the agenda driven media up here.

His behaviour is not acceptable and we all get that, however in footballing terms, injury free and age 25, no brainier really!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, he should be given a second chance. It's just a pity it's with us and not elsewhere as it's going to be a millstone around his neck (and ours), especially with the agenda driven media up here.
tbh we've had the wagons circled against that shower for many a year so in a roundabout way it could be the ideal place for him personally.

55 games in 8 years?

There's a reason that teams aren't falling over themselves to snap him up. Just saying...

Or you could look at it he played 23 out of 38 games the season they were close to winning the league.

Gets to that form then he coasts it up here.

Justice must punish proportionally, deter, and rehabilitate. He has been punished and now has a second chance.

These principles rightfully underpin our criminal justice system, as does the principle of equality before the law. The rule of law applies equally to all.

His actions are unforgivable but if we deny a second chance to people of a similar level of disgusting behaviour - would be a lot of people sitting in the house not earning

And if any media types want to get on their high horses

Forrest flasher
Griffiths racist
Lennon assaults
Lennons threatening behaviour to women
Tonev racist
McGowan multiple police assaults
Goodwillie/Robertson tag team sexual assault
Etc etc

And let’s put firmly out there the Spiers defence of a known nonce

I keep reading he’s shown huge remorse - what’s he done to show this remorse? I genuinely don’t know so not being a smart arse - did he do an interview, did he offer to work with charities for domestically abused woman? What did he do?

The Court noted his expressions of remorse etc:

Judge Lloyd identified the location and the time of offence, and the fact that Flanagan was drunk, as aggravating features, making it more serious. However she also noted his lack of previous convictions, the fact it was an isolated incident, and his expressions of remorse and determination to address his behaviour as factors reducing seriousness.

Daily Record already reporting fans split because of the lengths some have gone on this thread no doubt, Whether deliberate or not. Self-fulfilling prophecy for sure! We know they look in, yet still, some give them the bullets.

Do not cry about them citing fans and attacking us over it, some of you helped contribute, and they will report it with their own version now.

Everyone will be behind him when he walks on the park

Another red neck for that comic.

I'm not gonna defend what Flanagan did in any way, shape or form, let's be clear on that.

However, here's one from left-field - would we forgive a serial shagger? Someone who cheats on his wife/partner/girlfriend on a regular basis causing her never-ending heartbreak and pain. Possibly leaving their kids to witness a daily Hell within the household. Would we 'laud' them for their conquests or would we say we don't want that kind of guy playing for our Club?

Perhaps nowhere near the same as Flanagan in the physical sense but, mentally, every bit as bad perhaps. What do we think?

Not ideal circumstances but once he signs he’s ours.
I’m sure the vast majority of our fans will get behind him but he’ll need to be a strong character to cope with the looks and comments he’ll get in the street from rival fans, especially theirs. Because of the anti-Rangers attitude in Scotland he would undoubtedly get less of a hard time if he joined an English club.

Yeah he shouldn’t have done what he did however we don’t know the circumstances surrounding it.
He has been punished for his crime and should be allowed a second chance.
If that second chance is with us then so be it.
As long as he behaves himself up here and plays well on the park and helps us to 55 then I’m in.
We have all done things we aren’t proud of, does that mean none of us should work again?

I am only interested in what players do on the park being honest

Once he’s a rangers player I will be backing him.

I understand some people’s views and what he done was obviously extremely wrong but he clearly isn’t a serial wife beater.

Personally I don't want the guy anywhere near our club. If he signs then I will support him like I do for all Rangers players.

This is it you don't have to agree to his actions off the field I think they are disgraceful but will still get behind the player when he represents us on the park.

I think it's a great signing. If I wanted to give strangers relationship advice I could save myself my season ticket money and do it on the streets. I pay to watch football and that's how I will be judging him. His girlfriend stayed with him and to me she's forgave him but middle aged men on here can't. A lot of bottom lips need to be tucked in.

I'm not gonna defend what Flanagan did in any way, shape or form, let's be clear on that.

However, here's one from left-field - would we forgive a serial shagger? Someone who cheats on his wife/partner/girlfriend on a regular basis causing her never-ending heartbreak and pain. Possibly leaving their kids to witness a daily Hell within the household. Would we 'laud' them for their conquests or would we say we don't want that kind of guy playing for our Club?

Perhaps nowhere near the same as Flanagan in the physical sense but, mentally, every bit as bad perhaps. What do we think?

My thoughts all along mate but for a football forum chat I didn’t want to go in this direction but as a one off incident, which Flanagan’s appears to be then give me that over the break up of families and the pain it causes to partner and how it messes the children’s heads.

This is it you don't have to agree to his actions off the field I think they are disgraceful but will still get behind the player when he represents us on the park.

Guaranteed he will be one of those signings where everyone gets behind the guy more than others

They are attacking full backs.

They have also had to play alongside some of the worst central defending witnessed at Ibrox, (Kiernan ,Wilson , Cardoso , Martin and McCrorie).

They will now have proper central defenders alongside them and 3 narrow central midfielders in front of them, giving them proper protection.

Giggs was wholesome in his praise of John when playing for Wales recently and both McAllister and Gerrard have both come out and spoken about what Tav brings to the team.

If either of them aren't doing it, then Flanagan will putting serious pressure on them.

Why not ask Jordan Jones or Scott Sinclair whether or not Tav can defend?

Neither of them get any joy out of him.

For avoidance of doubt, Ross McCrorie is an excellent DM, but made too many individual errors in CD.

I don't need to ask anyone if Tav can defend. I've watched him for 3 seasons and he cannot defend. He simply doesn't think like a defender and is highly unlikely to change now. He has some talent as a footballer but is not of the required standard for us, in my opinion.

As regards Declan John,well Ryan Giggs was hardly gonna slate the boy having handed him his first cap. Like Tav he is simply not good enough defensively and produces little real quality going forward. Once again falls way short of the required standard for me.

Just hope this is a decision Gerrard doesn’t later come to regret because if it happened once there’s always a chance it’ll happen again.

I don't need to ask anyone if Tav can defend. I've watched him for 3 seasons and he cannot defend. He simply doesn't think like a defender and is highly unlikely to change now. He has some talent as a footballer but is not of the required standard for us, in my opinion.

As regards Declan John,well Ryan Giggs was hardly gonna slate the boy having handed him his first cap. Like Tav he is simply not good enough defensively and produces little real quality going forward. Once again falls way short of the required standard for me.

I think you're being harsh on both of them Alex.

I expect them both, particularly Tav, to flourish under the new regime.

We'll find out soon enough how they fit into Gerrard's plans I guess.

The thing with Flanagan is he’s a defensive minded fullback. I remember Liverpool fans in 13/14 saying their only criticism of him was his unwillingness at times to get forward. This could be hugely important for the way we set up with tav and John as they both like to charge forward, if Flanagan is playing at RB or LB he could stay back and provide that extra defensive cover that we’ve lacked and been exposed by when Tav and John have been caught upfield. He’s had his demons and what he did was disgusting and he’ll have to deal with it for the rest of his career, but it’s a two year contract for a 25 year old with no transfer fee and PL experience, there really is no risks if you’re looking at it from a footballing perspective.

It is a really tough one. I'd have to say people deserve a second chance but preferably not with us. I understand that's hypocritical but that's how I feel.

Regardless I'll get on board and once he signs it's in the past and should no longer be an issue as far as Rangers supporters should be concerned.

On a side note though his Mrs will be shitting it in the lead up to the first old firm when the reports of increased domestic violence start getting wheeled out :eek::D:rolleyes:

his GF woudnt give evidence and didnt want the CCTV shown in court

By the way John just to let you know I've been riding your brother for 3months??? I know he and she wouldn't be able to walk never mind anything else. I'm not saying he is right or wrong but does anyone actually know what's happened and has anyone actually seen it??

His actions are unforgivable but if we deny a second chance to people of a similar level of disgusting behaviour - would be a lot of people sitting in the house not earning

And if any media types want to get on their high horses

Forrest flasher
Griffiths racist
Lennon assaults
Lennons threatening behaviour to women
Tonev racist
McGowan multiple police assaults
Goodwillie/Robertson tag team sexual assault
Etc etc

And let’s put firmly out there the Spiers defence of a known nonce

Whatabouterry mate. Rise above it.

If he wasn't a good enough player for Liverpool and not good enough for any loan club he has been with and they didn't want him on a more permanent basis then why he is good enough for us?

this for me is the new managers first mistake..sadly!
We,ll find out soon enough mate.

Don’t want him, his character doesn’t belong or deserve to be at Ibrox.

Once he signs I’ll back him on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back