Flannigan time to extend his contract?

I'd happily keep him on as a squad option, if Borna goes. He's obviously not a natural left back and shouldn't be considered as first team option.

I'd rather we gave Borna a second season though.

I hope we do great guy to have in the squad.
I like the player.
He looked good at the beginning of the season then dropped his form and has come back into the side looking good again.
Stevie the Ger will know what the score is, but there is a fine full back there in any money.

He played well and I am all for keeping him. But there was a few times he took up a position today for a pass and I thought barasic would’ve destroyed them if he had the same room.

The last couple of games he has added a bit offensively to his game which is great so see. Defensively he has always been generally sound.
I don't think he is a particularly mobile player and he will never be an attacking full back so not ideal for the first 11. However, he does seem to sitting further up the park recently (particularly when Katic plays), and being that little bit further up the park he looks better, breaking up play and moving the ball forward. I hope we keep him, having a wee hard man in our defence who can man mark, break up play and pass well is good for the squad. I can see him becoming a bit of cult figure amongst the Bears if we stays, we love a defender who is hard as nails but not dirty.

He played well and I am all for keeping him. But there was a few times he took up a position today for a pass and I thought barasic would’ve destroyed them if he had the same room.

On the other hand Barišić wouldn't have won the tackle that led to the first goal, made some of the tackles and interceptions Flanagan did, first half especially.

He's a steady squad player ,his form has been good since he came back into the team ,his passing can be poor at times but by God he likes a tackle and if he maintains the form shown in recent performances he would be worth another contract come next December .

He’s had his bomb scare moments as have the rest of them. Love the fact he’s hard as nails

He's a steady squad player ,his form has been good since he came back into the team ,his passing can be poor at times but by God he likes a tackle and if he maintains the form shown in recent performances he would be worth another contract come next December .
I honestly don't see him as a poor passer, athletically limited, small, one footed, lacking mobility yes but he is tidy passer of the ball. He got pelters on here for his passing after a European match and somebody posted his passing accuracy stats which were some of the best in the team. I think he is a very good short range passer of the ball, getting to the byline and lofting in a sweet cross is not his game though, but to be honest that's not our game at the moment either.

His weight loss is frightening.

Would love to know the stats, but reckon he could be 2 stone down on when he arrived.

I'd have him over barasic any day. A lot of people have false hope for Barasic. For me hes flattered to deceive and will never have the mentality to play for us.

You either come in and embrace the club and its standards and prove your worth on the park or its game over. Barasic is a million miles away.
Barasic is getting games for the WC runners-up, so he is no mug. I do agree however he has been disappointing for us so far. Still have hopes for him though. I like Flanno however his lack of a left foot concerns me.

I'd happily keep him on as a squad option, if Borna goes. He's obviously not a natural left back and shouldn't be considered as first team option.

I'd rather we gave Borna a second season though.

Sorry, but he’s ahead of Barisic now for me.

How many more chances are we going to give Barisic to toughen up.

He needs to do that on the gym or in training for me now. Flanagan has earned his place

I don't get the abuse he receives, people seem to forget that he's a RB being played at LB. Excellent player to have in the squad.

He is here for the next season so let us see how things go for him, and then make the choice then?

Has done really well last few games and fair play to him. When we really need to cut teams open though, it’s still an issue having a left back so right footed. Hearts didn’t have a wide man today, and a really good right winger will give Flanagan problems. However, he can only play what’s in front of him, and his versatility makes him a useful squad player.

His weight loss is frightening.

Would love to know the stats, but reckon he could be 2 stone down on when he arrived.

It wasn't until I saw you saying that in the Match Thread that I actually started to take notice and your dead right.

First 30 minutes of the Hearts game at One of I thought his confidence looked shot. He grew into that game and is looking like the player I thought we were getting.

Extending his contract would be good business. If he continues to play it will increase the sell on value at the very least.

I think Flanagan signed with the intention of making a comeback in his career. I don’t think he’s done that as such and therefore might be wanting to go elsewhere especially being seen as back up.

He was the worst player in the world a few weeks ago. I’m not having a go at you personally OP, but a thread like this appearing now encapsulates the absolutely mental bipolar nature of this place.

I always thought he was a decent player defensively, he just went into a slump and was never allowed to recover.
Same old FF. Fickle as always.

I would wait till October, November next year . If he has been consistent and performed to the level he has in the last few games then I would extend his contract.

Yeah I think he’s a good buy. He’ll play for the manager and is showing true form. A good pre season will definitely bring him up to the level expected. He’s a talent otherwise he’d not be here from Liverpool. To suggest he’s not good enough for Scottish football beggars belief.

Overall, he had a good game today and injects a toughness that we sometimes lack at the back. When you watch their goal back again he was ball watching and probably cost us this goal.

Agree. Surprised no one mentioned this. Had a good game, but slept at the cross. He could see everything in front of him, nobody to mark, yet didn’t step forward onto McLean.
Poor defending.

Barasic is a better player but I seriously question his desire and bottle for the fight and you definitely cant question that in Flanagan

Would be interesting to see him at right back. As effective as he's been the last few games, having to cut onto his stronger foot disrupts the momentum every so slightly.

Has he played right back this season other than Cowdenbeath? If I remember correctly he played right side of a back 3 in the 3-3 draw at Fir Park, but other than these examples, it has always been left back.

ps. I'm not saying that we drop/sell Tav.

No brainer

Can play RB/LB, has the mentality and is certainly better than our backup LB in Halliday

Too early to extend his contract but he’s at least made himself a viable option again.

He looks fitter and stronger, and his attitude seems really positive.

His problem is he’s not as good as Tav so he’s realistically got to target left back as his way into the team and his left foot is for standing on.

If we want to extend the contract on a back up fullback - fine. But to my mind at the moment that’s all he is, admittedly a very able one - just like Halliday for different reasons. Barisic is still the only one with the ability to be a consistent difference maker.

I think Flanagan signed with the intention of making a comeback in his career. I don’t think he’s done that as such and therefore might be wanting to go elsewhere especially being seen as back up.

I think this is last chance saloon in terms of getting anywhere close to where he was projected. I’m sure that’s driven the weight loss/ fitness improvement.

He got kicked out of Liverpool and had a poor loan spell in the lower leagues in England. For a relatively young international player with off field issues failing in Scotland would not exactly scream upward career trajectory. Probably more than anyone else at the club he needs to make this work if he wants to get back to the top.

The positive is that he seems to have taken that on board recently.

He’s a great sub to have , the fact he can cover both full back positions is fantastic.

I’d posted on the other thread about Baines possibly coming to fill LB for us from next season , don’t know how much truth in it .

Seems certain though that Barasic will be sold along with grezda -they just have not settled and the gaffer is not amused .

Heard him talking about a month ago and he said he was desperate to stay and fight for a place and that he was loving it here and it surprised me a bit considering he hadn’t been playing

Back