Fleck to replace davis next season?

I love the man but he can't continue playing the volume of games he is currently. We need to maintain progression and need to look longer term.
We need to address a potential problem in midfield.

Jack seems to always have a recurring injury. It doesn’t look to be going anywhere.

Davis is getting on, and there is no saying when his fitness will drop off.

We clearly have identified that we need at least one additional player in there, which why we signed zungu. I don’t think we will be spending money on him, but we need to buy a ‘straight into the first team’ midfielder

True, but Jack, Kamara and Davis are of a higher quality than Fleck.

Spending serious dough on a 30 year old certainly isn't our business model either.
It's hard to compare any of our midfield to him who play the likes of Kilmarnock every other week. You could compare our European exploits to Sheff Utd playing Liverpool etc

Fleck is coming up 30 this year so probably too old to spend a big transfer fee on, plus his contract doesn't expire until 2023, he starts for Sheff Utd so they probably wouldn't be interested in a loan deal.
That means he won’t play for rangers again imo

32 when contract expires unless he has a relegation clause

We absolutely need a first choice CM in the summer.

Purely due to Davis age and Jack's availability.

When those 2 both play I always feel like we have total control of games but it's not realistic for them both to play midweek - weekend.

Arfield will also be a year older and Kamara might leave if we get a good offer.

It's an area we will have to look at.

It's hard to compare any of our midfield to him who play the likes of Kilmarnock every other week. You could compare our European exploits to Sheff Utd playing Liverpool etc

Tbf to Fleck, he is surrounded by vastly inferior teammates than our midfielders are.

Anyway, as I previously said, it's totally against our business model to spend money on someone of that age.

Davis has been different gravey this season luckily enough for us. There’s posters on here would have been happy to have punted him at the end of last season. Class is permanent form is temporary right enough.

Fleck is closing in on 30 and would cost an absolute fortune.

Ryan Gauld would be a better shout. He's became one of the best players in Portugal outside of the big 4 and is available for free at the end of the season. He is 25 and can play as both an attacking and sitting midfielder. He has a good range of passing and vision. He could be molded into that sitting playmaker role. He'd also count as homegrown in nation.
That to me sounds like a better option. They obviously know that we MUST have a planned succession for Davis and Arfield and so I assume they’re on the case. We need to ask ourselves is Davis up to playing Champions League and then league games in same week?
I trust that our scouting department will have options ready to put to Stevie G.
I think we may have to put sentiment to the side this summer as SG is tasked with getting us ready for the CL so it may be that we lose people and replace people that we like.

That to me sounds like a better option. They obviously know that we MUST have a planned succession for Davis and Arfield and so I assume they’re on the case. We need to ask ourselves is Davis up to playing Champions League and then league games in same week?
I trust that our scouting department will have options ready to put to Stevie G.
I think we may have to put sentiment to the side this summer as SG is tasked with getting us ready for the CL so it may be that we lose people and replace people that we like.
I mean Davis has shown with the Europa League he can handle it, however he is 36 and 6-12 months is a long time in football especially to someone Davis age.

I know people think Davis will go on forever but I'll be amazed if he lasts beyond next season. He'll probably be fine the first 6 months then phased out the final 6 months of next season.

Ryan Gauld would be a better shout. He's became one of the best players in Portugal outside of the big 4 and is available for free at the end of the season. He is 25 and can play as both an attacking and sitting midfielder. He has a good range of passing and vision. He could be molded into that sitting playmaker role. He'd also count as homegrown in nation.
Did you clock him on loan at Hivs, was woeful at Ibrox and still looked like a 16 year old boy out of his depth. Hagi is younger and looks far more of a talent right now let alone what he'll become, forward steps not backwards steps. The homegrown quota is a fallacy as Gerrard has repeatedly been happy to take a reduced squad in Europe than have Scottish dross bulking his squad

Have you seen him play recently, I'd love to read about how he's getting on. I think I remember an article posted on here recently but I am not sure if it was about his recent form.

Does he get a game for Scotland?
He's playing well and if Faranse manage to stay up it will be all thanks to him. 7 goals and 4 assists. He scored a beautiful back heel recently.

There's talk about him getting a call up after how well he's done in the top league. He's still uncapped though.

Fleck has been outstanding in this 2nd half. Him and Norwood are streets ahead of their teammates.
The midfield 3 compliment well and Fair play to Wilder as well making attacking subs as soon as going behind, just a shame McBurnie has a toblerone heid or we could have had a cracker on the cards

Davis is playing the best football I’ve ever seen him play. He’s going no where
And i think when he knows he is losing his pace he will be the first person to admit it.

Next season has too much to offer for anyone to want to leave.

Did you clock him on loan at Hivs, was woeful at Ibrox and still looked like a 16 year old boy out of his depth. Hagi is younger and looks far more of a talent right now let alone what he'll become, forward steps not backwards steps. The homegrown quota is a fallacy as Gerrard has repeatedly been happy to take a reduced squad in Europe than have Scottish dross bulking his squad
Gauld is a cm and Hagi plays RAM/CAM. Not really comparable in like for like.

So you wouldn't take a player on a free who is doing very well in a superior league, because a couple of years ago he was poor in a 6 month spell at Hibs?

I'd rather judge the player he is now than the player he was 2 years ago.

Gauld is a cm and Hagi plays RAM/CAM. Not really comparable in like for like.

So you wouldn't take a player on a free who is doing very well in a superior league, because a couple of years ago he was poor in a 6 month spell at Hibs?

I'd rather judge the player he is now than the player he was 2 years ago.
If he's that good Porto, Benfica or Sporting would have signed him up on a Bosman then? I'd take him on my 5s side but never for Rangers

Fleck would be a great signing, the only doubt is whether he would be allowed to leave Sheffield United for a reasonable fee.
Nobody knows if he has any relegation clause or good will from Sheffield United to allow him to move.
Davis will not be able to play every game next season, and was already targeted by Benfica late on in those games.
Fleck would be a great addition if we can get him.
Lundstram seems OK too, but not as good as Fleck.
Both would suit our system, playing the 6 position.

I just think Flecks time with Rangers is past. He does well with Sheffield. I do wonder if another Premier League side would come in for him once Sheffield Utd are relegated.

Let's bring in Peter Walton.

walton.jpg

If he's that good Porto, Benfica or Sporting would have signed him up on a Bosman then? I'd take him on my 5s side but never for Rangers
The talk is he is sighing for Braga in the summer, has the most MOTM awards in the league so far and the most creative player out with the big 3.

He’s kicked on the past 18 months and is someone we should be looking at, I think he’d rather stay in Portugal though.

Davis has a lot more in him going by all the players coming out and saying the work he puts into the gym is unreal.

I agree, would be a fantastic addition and also very versatile in that midfield or one of the inside #10 roles.

Although this is his last year of his contract, I'm sure I read that the team has a a year extension option on it, which they'd be certain to take.

Back