Fleck to replace davis next season?

Fleck would be a fantastic acquisition. He’s really fit our style and could play as deepest of our 3, or further forward.

Apart from his final season where I’m sure he picked up an injury before loan to us, he was anything but a squad player
I should have specified, I did mean before he returned to us that was his position with Southampton. It was the reason we were able to get him back.

I want to make it clear though that I am not downplaying Davis, my point is that we shouldn’t write Fleck off beachside he’s with a poor Sheffield United team.

You’ve watched lundstram and you think he’d play the no 6 role for us? The Davis role?

Lundstram’s passing is atrocious. He plays wide right for SU and runs about like a headless chicken.
He plays on the right of a flat three, we're not talking about a right winger.
He plays in a team who don't dominate every game, so clearly he has to defend a fair amount.
His position in SU involves covering the right wing back (if they ever get forward). This is similar to the position Davis plays for us.
Davis and Fleck are far more technical than Lundstram, which is why I described him as OK and not excellent.

Steven Davis has been huge for Rangers this season.
That, ... actually cannot be stressed enough.
I am also sure he can be huge for us next season as well.
I personally fail to detect the decline.
The wee man has the build of a thoroughbred and the discipline of a monk.

Sporting and Braga are after him.
Fair enough I haven't seen him lately but he still looked like a lost boy playing the wrong sport at 23 when I did see him.
Braga have already made 9 transfers for the summer, strange they haven't made him a 10th for the summer, make it seem like a no brainer

Anyway, Fingers crossed the alky picks him for the upcoming friendlies and I can eat my words! I'm not too proud to say when I get it wrong, knowing Clarke he'll likely bump Jack for him in the summer

He plays on the right of a flat three, we're not talking about a right winger.
He plays in a team who don't dominate every game, so clearly he has to defend a fair amount.
His position in SU involves covering the right wing back (if they ever get forward). This is similar to the position Davis plays for us.
Davis and Fleck are far more technical than Lundstram, which is why I described him as OK and not excellent.
Be looking at the Jack role for us whenever I've seen Lundstram.

If the deal could be made between both clubs then fleck would take a pay cut to come back to rangers ( if that was needed )

I think it’s very harsh and near impossible to compare him to any of our midfielders considering what league he is playing in and who for compared to ours

Would Ryan Jack stand out for Sheffield United the way Fleck has at points? I highly doubt it

The same could be said about the rest of our midfielders

I’d take him

I think we need to brace ourselves for not landing someone of the caliber of Davis.

He’s levels above Scottish football.

He plays for us because he loves the club and has an affiliation to us. Realistically, he’s an EPL player, still.

I don’t think Scotland or Norn Ireland have someone, at present, who comes close to that level and in addition, loves Rangers.

When it comes to replacing him, we’ll probably need two players and bolster the surrounding parts.

The guy is arguably our best central midfield player in the last 20 years. He’d run Ferguson close now.

If he's available on a Bosman he'd be worth signing. I don't see him enough to know if he's up to replicating Davis.

I'm on record on here that I thought (at the time) it was a mistake to bring Davis back & the first few months did nothing to change that,

I'm also on record saying how wrong I was & how good he's been.

I honestly believe we'll need to spend Ryan Kent type money - at least - to bring in a suitable replacement for him, and I'm just hoping we can do it when needed.

Davis is essentially irreplaceable. Players like him are once in a generation and thankfully he's ours.

I actually can't think of a more dedicated pro than Davis? On the field and off it he is the ultimate professional/role model/leader etc etc

It's hard for me to articulate just how good he is. He's everything a Rangers player should be and what other Rangers players should aspire to be.
I agree with every word of that.

He reminds me of Wilkins. Eyebrows were raised when we signed him back then too, but like Davis he was a model pro who went on to control games from midfield with real class and elegance.

Probably more than any one player, I’m absolutely thrilled that Steven Davis is going to taste title success once again.

When the time comes Davis will be very difficult to replace, however, as has happened over the years players are always replaced, even the all time greats. Personally think Fleck would be a great addition to our team/squad.

Aren’t they different types of players? Also how does developing Gilmour prepare us for Davis retiring?
Gilmour appears to be a deeper lying playmaker type of player nowadays. I remember seeing him in the Chelsea academy playing a lot higher up the pitch.
Davis was always higher up the pitch before he aged to the point that he couldn't play there anymore. He has adapted his game in a similar way to Gerrard did as a player (not at the same level). Davis still doesn't have the defensive instincts of a Ryan Jack though, and neither would Gilmour.
Fleck seems to have done the same too, plays a lot deeper than he did as a youngster.
Anyway, there isn't much point in us developing a Chelsea player unless we have some chance of signing him down the line. That would rely on him not being good enough on loan to get back into the Chelsea team.

He’s playing for a club bottom of the league, who’ve been an utter shambles.

We’re in the last 16 of the Europa League.
Yet the worst team in that league is still a far higher standard that the 3rd best team in our league, some would argue the 2nd best.
Every player should be judged on their own merits though, there are plenty of players in the EPL who I wouldn't want near Rangers. Fleck is not amongst that group.

Yet the worst team in that league is still a far higher standard that the 3rd best team in our league, some would argue the 2nd best.
Every player should be judged on their own merits though, there are plenty of players in the EPL who I wouldn't want near Rangers. Fleck is not amongst that group.
Agreed.

But we're lightyears ahead of the 3rd best team in our league.

My point was the league someone plays in means hee-haw and Rangers fans more than most should know that. We've have more than our fair share of flops from the English Premier League.

Getting back to Fleck, wouldn't be against him signing but don't see him as a Gerrard type player and I definitely don't see him as a replacement for Davis. Simply put, we don't have the money to replace Davis.

Thought the same regarding Fleck being a potential replacement for Davis. Understand the argument that he may demand a high transfer fee for his age but they may have a relegation clause in his contract. Certainly a player who has the type of qualities that would work in our team.

People got on Fleck's back from a very early age, but are now too stubborn to realise he's became a right good player. Same reason he was overlooked for Scotland while at Coventry and Sheffield United a couple of years ago until their promotion.

Only us could lose a promising youth player for nothing only to likely be priced out of him when his obvious potential was fulfilled.

Davis is playing the best football I’ve ever seen him play. He’s going no where
He's also getting older and won't be around forever.
I'm sure the manager and Ross Wilson are looking at potential replacements, as they should.

Just seems a natural replacement. Would cost a few bob granted. Would be good fit though.
Possible?
How so?
You seriously see Fleck as a similar player to Davis?
I don’t myself.
Actually, discussing this recently, there was a consensus that, given the money we’d be looking at spending on a Davis replacement and what we think we’d get for Kamara, it might be worth keeping Kamara.
Certainly Fleck would not be value for money and I’m not thinking of a resale value here.

We absolutely need a first choice CM in the summer.

Purely due to Davis age and Jack's availability.

When those 2 both play I always feel like we have total control of games but it's not realistic for them both to play midweek - weekend.

Arfield will also be a year older and Kamara might leave if we get a good offer.

It's an area we will have to look at.
We will need two quality additions I feel.

Davis will be a year older
Jack is constantly injured
Arfield has had niggles/approaching his mid 30's
Kamara could be away
Zungu definitely won't be signed permanently
Aribo is far better playing in an advanced role

Definitely need two players of quality.

How so?
You seriously see Fleck as a similar player to Davis?
I don’t myself.
Actually, discussing this recently, there was a consensus that, given the money we’d be looking at spending on a Davis replacement and what we think we’d get for Kamara, it might be worth keeping Kamara.
Certainly Fleck would not be value for money and I’m not thinking of a resale value here.
You're not going to get a clone of Steven Davis though.
John Fleck is a very good footballer, who if the manager sees fit,would be a good addition to our squad. He certainly looks a better player than his team-mate John Lundstrum who we've been linked with repeatedly.

Would be good if we had aspirations of finding good players that fit into the team rather than constantly looking to ex-Rangers players and saying “they’d do a job for us”.

Very few ex-Rangers players have went on reach higher levels than we play at, and John Fleck isn’t one of them.

Fleck is definitely one of our own, and I love the wee man for that, but he’s nowhere near the class of Davis

If the deal could be made between both clubs then fleck would take a pay cut to come back to Rangers ( if that was needed )

I think it’s very harsh and near impossible to compare him to any of our midfielders considering what league he is playing in and who for compared to ours

Would Ryan Jack stand out for Sheffield United the way Fleck has at points? I highly doubt it

The same could be said about the rest of our midfielders

I’d take him

I doubt he'd need to take a pay cut coming from Sheffield United. He'll have offers from PL teams though who will be able to outspend us.

It would go against our transfer model by signing him but we can't always sign players for the future, it's just whether we'd be willing to spend that amount of money on a 30 year old.

Fleck is excellent, and it would take at least £10-15m to get him away from Sheffield you'd imagine.

Maybe 2 or 3 more years down the line.

Back