Fleck to replace davis next season?

Good as Fleck is - he wouldn't contribute anything like the amount Davis does imo

I know both of them 'run' games in their own way - it's just that I rate Davis's way & believe it's that bit more complete

I dare say I've arrived at that conclusion because I see SD every week & only see JF sporadically - so maybe my view is limited -
but it's still the way I see it

Good as Fleck is - he wouldn't contribute anything like the amount Davis does imo

I know both of them 'run' games in their own way - it's just that I rate Davis's way & believe it's that bit more complete

I dare say I've arrived at that conclusion because I see SD every week & only see JF sporadically - so maybe my view is limited -

We're going to struggle to find a ready made replacement for Davis within our transfer and wage structure. Need to hope the scouting team and Ross Wilson have something up their sleeve.

They are totally different types of player

the fact this is still running says a lot about the average knowledge level

I'll be honest I just dont see it with Fleck, hes a good player no doubt but I honestly think we should be setting the bar higher.

I don't expect us to directly replace Davis unless we get very lucky. I'd take Fleck if he were cheap enough but I'd expect another Premiership club to be in for him this summer.

I like Fleck, but the package around him and the player he is doesnt suit us at this time.

Davis will last another couple of seasons provided there are adequate supporting midfielders that can be used to rotate and get him through

You're not going to get a clone of Steven Davis though.
John Fleck is a very good footballer, who if the manager sees fit,would be a good addition to our squad. He certainly looks a better player than his team-mate John Lundstrum who we've been linked with repeatedly.
If the manager sees fit, I won’t be arguing.
He knows a lot more about it than I.

Even if he was affordable in terms of a transfer fee, he far from the natural replacement for Davis. Davis a top international player, unbelievably gifted footballer. He is calm in tight situation, barely gives up posession, reading of the game is next level. John Fleck is an okay player.

Ali McCann at St Johnsone has impressed me every time I have seen him play. Not at davis standard yet and may never get there, but everything you see says he is on an improving trajectory. Very composed and uses the ball well. if playing with better players could only improve. Be a realistic price as well.

FWIW Fleck is a really good player we would make him work in our midfield. He also knows the level of expectation. Be doubtful we could afford him though.

I’ve not read the full thread bears but Fleck could not lace Davis’s boots.

I wouldn’t be spending any money on 29/30 yr old unless he is the difference in our team & will bring us to a different level which Fleck does not.

Amount of posts I've seen on here saying fleck wouldn't suit us or not a Gerrard type player. How exactly?
He's got great technical ability, good engine and gets stuck in.
Far better player than he's being given credit for on here, he was getting linked to Arsenal last season lol.

Do I think he's the natural successor to Davis? No
Do I think he'd be brilliant to have in our squad? Absolutely, Davis and fleck would actually compliment each other well playing together!

Would depend massively on price range Sheffield are valuing him at and player power if we came in for him I'm sure fleck would jump at the chance.

The problem with the Davis has another year attitude is that you generally realise it was a year too long during that season too many

hope Ross Wilson has set his sights on the bigger footballing landscape out there, rather than just going for ex players, I know Davis falls into that but there was logic and reason Gerrard went for him, Fleck on the other hand, not so much, I don't really get the hard on op has on getting ex players in, that's a very narrow view imo

Just seems a natural replacement. Would cost a few bob granted. Would be good fit though.
Possible?
Nah. Nowhere near that class. I can see James Milner come in and do that role. Couple of years left in the tank, been there seen it, done it. Class act to replace a class act

It’s going to take a special player to replace Davis. Had my doubts a year ago if he still had it.... by fook he definitely has. He’s been a massive player for us this season.

Year left on his contract in the summer, can see this happening if not this year in 2022

Aren’t they different types of players? Also how does developing Gilmour prepare us for Davis retiring?
It would help us next season mate .

Chelsea would get a better player back so they should be interested in that .

After that , jack in there , Stephen Kelly , fleck ???? Who knows ?

I'd take Rafaelov for free as a short term but quality option. I'd look then look for one midfielder of some stature who we may have to pay for as our main summer target.

Sakala up front on a Bosman makes sense. He seems to fit the profile of strong, quick, can play wider and has potential development and resale.

McGregor, Davis, Morelos and possibly even Goldson if he doesn't sign a new deal are the ones we need to worry about replacing I think.

Ok then. Take a gander at the number of wonderkids who are first-choice CM's at big clubs right now. You will be able to count them on one hand, perhaps two at most.
Ok then. Take a gander at the number of wonderkids who are first-choice CM's at big clubs right now. You will be able to count them on one hand, perhaps two at most.
Frankie De Jong
Ndombele
Valverde Real
Arthur Barcelona
Havertz
Foden
Neves wolves
To name but a few

Last edited:

Frankie De Jong
Ndombele
Valverde Real
Arthur Barcelona
Havertz
Foden
Neves wolves
To name but a few
That's a handful, just as I suggested.

Unlikely that Williamson fits into that category.

How so?
You seriously see Fleck as a similar player to Davis?
I don’t myself.
Actually, discussing this recently, there was a consensus that, given the money we’d be looking at spending on a Davis replacement and what we think we’d get for Kamara, it might be worth keeping Kamara.
Certainly Fleck would not be value for money and I’m not thinking of a resale value here.
It wouldn't be worth keeping Kamara to run down his contract and sign for another club for free in January. If he signs a contract, it would be great to keep him.
I don't really understand how anyone can think Fleck wouldn't be value for money when they don't know how much money he would cost.

Fleck is not for me. I trust Stevie and his team to unearth more of the gems they seem to deliver.
Think Davo will go for another year no sweat

Norwood is more of a Davis type replacement.. lots of good players in that Sheffield Utd team, this season has been a total disaster though - hope they bounce back up next season!

Back