Focus on Quintin Young

mdingwall

Administrator
http://footballinprint.com/quintin-young-rangers/

x9jUNT8.png

My brother's favorite player back then. Cutty was his nickname I'm sure

It certainly was. great memories of Jan 1973 against them. Derek Paralne scored first (missed a penalty but scored from the rebound. For the second, Cutty Young crossed over - after a great two footed tackle from Doddie and Alfie the barrel of shite headed home, 2-1 victory. I can’t remember what I had for my tea last night. :D

Remember getting off the football special at Queen Street after Dundee away March 1975
(The game Colin Stein was sent off and a fair bit of trouble followed). Anyway the bears
are having a sing song marching through Glasgow and who should we bump into but
Cutty who proceeded to join in the sing song. :D

One of my favourite players of that era,he was part of the Colin Stein deal.
I was gutted when Stein left but Cutty soon took some of the disappointment away.

We don’t need Dalglish or Hay
F@£k yer pope and the ira
We’ve got John Greig, Quinton Young
And the Sash will be sung!

WATP

It certainly was. great memories of Jan 1973 against them. Derek Paralne scored first (missed a penalty but scored from the rebound. For the second, Cutty Young crossed over - after a great two footed tackle from Doddie and Alfie the barrel of shite headed home, 2-1 victory. I can’t remember what I had for my tea last night. :D

He had the unenviable task of replacing the great and much loved Willie Johnston.

Cutty had scored the only goal in a 1-0 win at Firhill five days earlier on New Years Day, then after that excellent last minute win against the Filth, Young went on to score 8 Goals in Rangers next 8 Games
(including a fantastic diving header against that great Ajax side, to give Rangers a short lived 2-1 lead in Amsterdam).

He ended that debut season with a Scottish Cup Winners medal, having scored 17 Goals in 36 Starts (and 1 as a sub).

I was totally underwhelmed when he signed. Didn't know a thing about him.
He quickly grasped the chance and became a great favourite of the fans for his ability to get by full backs.

Every time we sign guys I've never heard of, guys like Cutty come to mind and I hope they can do the biz like he did.

We've also had wingers like Henderson, McLean and Johnston in my lifetime who got to the byeline 90% of the time and got in a telling cross. You just knew when they got the ball a cross was coming in for the centre forward.

Nowadays I'm tired crying over wingers of ours hitting the first defender to win a shy, or overhitting a cross by 20 yards to the far side of the penalty area.

It didn't used to be so difficult for our wide players to produce. Pass me my zimmer now please.

My memories of Cutty Young were you didn't need to be a lip reader when he scored. He would pump the air and scream "ya f*****g beauty"
Maybe he didn't do it all the time but it seemed that way.:D
He was a cracking wee player btw.

Scored the winner in the first ever Premier League game between Rangers and Celtic.

I liked him, gave his all, could beat a man, always a goal threat and could stand up for himself when things got rough.

I believed when he left, Wee Bud, my all time favourite Ranger, was irreplaceable. I was wrong. Cutty, that, is a compliment and a half!

I always liked Cutty Young, probably helped by the memory of this cracking winner against the scum in 1975 (DJ's goal in the same game matched it btw!):

Last edited:
Back